on 31 May 2006
Singstar Rock (UK version) is a great product, in the tradition of other Singstars. The song selection is varied and nicely Rock.

Unfortunately a problem with the DVD makes *some* songs (e.g. Cardigans or Snow Patrol) systematically crash on *some* Playstations. Websites and forums about this problem are multiplying and Sony will hopefully do something about it.

In the meantime be careful of buying this product if your Playstation is a SCPH-70004 or SCPH-30004. Other models could also be affected, but these two have been confirmed.

Otherwise great game and a lot of fun!
on 15 October 2006
This, along with the other titles in the Singstar series, is a great game. Reading the other reviews, you can see that most of the poor ratings are complaining about the selection of songs - well if you're on Amazon already, there's a song list readily available, and there is also one on the back of the case, so it seems pointless to buy a game knowing what songs are on it, and then complain afterwards - for those unfamiliar with the Singstar game engine, then this is a solid introduction, with a good variety in the difficulty of songs; for those familiar, then it just comes down to whether you like the songs themselves. But for people (like me) who enjoy this sort of music, it's a solid addition to the series, highly recommended.
on 17 May 2006
This is an absolute must for all ages! One of my friends originally bought singstar and i laughed when she said it was an excellent game. I'm not a ps2 fan at all, so was not convinced of this at first.

After going to hers one night after sinking a few beers she put it on and well i can honestly say i am addicted.

She should be earning royalties lol. Every person who has since been to hers and had a go has been out and bought singstar and all the discs that go with it.

Its ace for a sat night in when you havent got the money to go out, just grab a few beers and get singing!

My kids love it to, we usually fight over the microphones!

Just wish there was a way of picking which songs you want on the cds.

But i would defintaly recommend buying this
on 12 May 2006
I cant believe people dont like this game. Dont get me wrong Im not usually a stay at home person but now instead of going to the pub on a Friday and a Saterday me and my friends get together and play singstar. And yes if you cant sing well it does sound funny but guess what people even if you are self concious of yourself this game is so much fun that you really dont care what you sound like. Plus there are great play back buttons where instead of listening to yourself sounding silly (which is always a laugh I promise) you can also add great SFX sounds to it like make your voice robotic, or sound like its quivering. I promise that all you people out there will love it even if you are tone deaf. My friend Martin is tone death and he hits all of the notes on the game. So for those of you who dont like the game you are entitled to your own opionion and NO the game is not a use for training yourself to sing it is just a bit of fun and you do learn the words to all the songs. So why not buy the game, take a bottle of your favourite drink around to a friends house (mines usually a big bottle of coca cola) and enjoy spending some quality hours with your friends having the best time of your life. I guarantee it. Also why not buy the other SingStar games and battle it out with your friends all the time. This is such a fun game Im going to play it right now!!! Its that good folks
on 7 January 2013
I bought this for my daughter for Christmas. it arrived earlier than expected and the packaging was intact. my daughter loves this game and has spent a lot of time playing on it. the whole family had a great time over the Christmas holiday. we would recommend this game to anyone who enjoys a laugh.
on 9 May 2006
I'm a HUUUUGE fan of Singstar. I have the original, party and 80s versions. I passed on the popworld edition because I didn't think the selection of songs was anywhere near as good. This edition is okay I suppose except I have found a problem with it - The songs just aren't very enjoyable. The Queen song (Don't Stop Me Now) is very confusing... in solo mode you are marked on both backing and lead vocals! It's practically impossible! I agree with another review here that says this edition is sadly lacking in 'classic' rock songs (e.g. Bon Jovi Living On A Prayer???, Gun's N Roses Sweet Child O Mine???, The Eagles Hotel California??? All Right Now by Free??? )

Singstar have opted for a modern mix of Indie and Soft Rock with this edition. I reckon they've missed out here since an Indie version could have been put out with a mix of 90's classic Brit Pop and modern day Indie after a more fuller and 'proper' Rock edition.

It's tricky to get the right blend of tunes. Singstar have done well in the previous editions but I just feel they've not quite got it right here.
on 26 April 2006
I think Singstar may have titled this game wrong.

It's not "Rock" for all those wanting cheesy air-guitar tunes to shout along to. That said it is a fantastic selection of the latest Indie tunes that will have any party bubbling along at a pace.

It's nice to see Singstar producing games for each musical taste.
on 3 May 2006
Singstar delivers yet another fun game for the collection, but is let down by obvious marketing towards 'the lads' audience. Only four acts of thirty here are female, and therefore limits somewhat the vocal diversity that the first four singstars provided.

Another problem is that there are no real duets available and rapping is completely ignored. Undertandable, as this is Rock, but still...

This is perhaps one of the weaker entries in the series, but you still won't find a better karaoke game out there for the PS2.
on 11 January 2008
Firstly, this is agreat game to bring people together, crack open a few tinnies or bottles and have a great laugh. It doesn't matter if you can sing or not - just have fun.
Secondly, for those that bemoan about the track listing, there are some things to remember here.
1. This isn't MOR Rock or Legends Rock or Old School Rock or Heavy Rock or even Metal Rock, it's simply Rocks! and that covers a wide, wide market. I think this is aimed at the more teenage to early twenties market (even though I'm 39!). This is why it's mainly Indie/Alternative songs with a few older ones thrown in for good measure.
If you want boring MOR stuff go for Rock Ballads or if you want older songs go for 80's (which by the way DOES NOT include anything by Echo & The Bunnymen, U2, Big Country, The Alarm, New Order, The Smiths, The Teardrop Explodes etc etc)
This is a great crop of songs that are not mainstream (in fact I could quite do without Queen or The Scorpions being there!), but, to any person who likes this kind of music, are instantly recognisable.
2. I'm guessing that all the music featured on all the different SingStars are owned by Sony/BMG Music and they probably don't have or won't pay the rights to feature other songs.
I love the songs on here and it makes a nice change from the MOR Rock, Ballad Rock, R&B, Rap, Pop or the Cheesy charty stuff that's constantly rammed down our throats. Well done to the track list chooser!
This "game" has not done a lot for my neighbourly relations but it's worth it! I bought it on impulse a few months ago and am really glad I did. It has a brilliant and varied choice of songs, old and new with a few duffies but the good and the great (Stones, Nirvana, Queen, the Cardigans, Stereophonics, Snow Patrol etc etc ) more than make up for it. Get your friends and family round, open a few cans and let rip! This version opened my (and my daughter, who is 11) eyes to a few bands we didn't know and we're glad it did!
The game is well presented, easy to use and the multi-player battles are varied and fun. Rig it up with your eye-toy and you can record yourself in action with 80's TOTP-style special effects which add to the fun. The mics are very good quality and of course, you only need to buy the games next time which are pretty good value.
This is our first and favourite Singstar, though I also really like SingStar Legends mainly because of "Life on Mars" and "Imagine". I'm in my 40s in case you couldn't guess!
This rocks