on 23 June 2017
I'm a huge fan of Billy Joel so bought this CD to be able to listen to him in the car. With 18 tracks for £3 it is good value for money and includes many of his biggest hits, including some that are capable of transporting me to exact times and places in my past.

A couple of issues prevented me from giving this CD five stars. First up Piano Man has been butchered. I can't ever understand including a radio edit on a particular artist's CD, unless as an extra track. If you're buying a greatest hits you want the whole song, not one someone seems to have attacked with a machete. Secondly there are some glaring omissions, like Scenes from an Italian Restaurant and Downeaster Alexa, without these it's hard to get on board with the title 'the very best of'.

It is a bargain though, especially with the free autorip when you purchase the CD.
on 10 May 2018
I bought this album after hearing 'We Didn't Start The Fire' recently, I didn't know it was by Billy Joel so looked up a 'Best Of' and ordered it and now have some of my long ago favourites as well, Piano Man and Uptown Girl etc. Would recommend.
on 29 June 2015
I'm a big Billy Joel fan, and like all his fans I know that it's difficult to put all your favourite songs on one C.D. The Very Best Of comes very close though. It has Movin' Out, Anthonys Song, Honesty and All About Soul as well as the obvious big hits like Uptown Girl and New York State of Mind. Any Billy fan will not be disappointed with this compilation, it also serves as a great introduction to his music for the non-initiated.
For me, the only thing that would have made this C.D better would have been the inclusion of: Sleeping with the television on, Captain Jack and Allentown.
on 18 January 2015
Billy Joel is a singer song writer that I came to late and partly due to "Uptown Girl" being endlessly played on the radio for many years, as if it was the only work Billy had ever produced!
However, he has produced far finer songs and music and this fantastic collection is genuinely, a journey through The Very Best!
If you like proper melody, clever and original arrangement and inspired musicianship then this is the guy to listen to. Enjoy!
on 16 August 2017
Billy Joel is talented in many ways with his song writing and his ability to deliver classic songs. I have yet to meet any singer who can live up to his standard in this day and age. 'My Life' still remains as one of my favourite songs of his.
on 30 August 2006
When Billy Joel belatedly hit the big time in the mid 1970s it was "Piano Man" that gave him the break. It's a great song both lyrically and musically, and stands out even in the context of this collection of undoubted quality, and deserves to be the title song of such a compilation.

So why, oh why, then, did some idiot see fit to include only a shortened version of this, his first and arguably finest hit? Why edit out the bluesey piano introduction, and then cut from the first half of verse two straight into the second half of verse three, losing some poignant and descriptive lyrics in doing so? Surely if they were pushed for space on the CD they could have economised elsewhere, rather than devalue such a great favourite. Only four stars for that reason, I'm afraid.
40 people found this helpful
on 27 August 2012
I bought this greatest collection as an MP3 downland because I knew there was something missing from my iPhone. "Piano Man" itself is a powerful study in social observation, and very hummable. I also particularly like "New York State of Mind". The rest, including "Uptown Girl" and "Just the Way You Are" are thoughtful and uplifting too. I cannot think of anything missing from the collection and it was reasonable value too.
on 26 July 2018
Brilliant song writer ,great voice ,great songs,all different,a legend.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 26 April 2017
still enjoying this great CD ,every track a winner
on 1 July 2018
It's great thanks for your help