on 5 June 2006
I saw Derailroaded at the ICA in London and I am thrilled to see it is being released on DVD. This film stuck in my head for days (as well did the song "Merry Go Round"). I was not aware of Wild Man Fischer, or any Outsider Music for that matter before seeing this film. My sister was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 1998 and I often watch films with themes of mental illness. This is one of the best films I have ever seen about mental illness and definitely the best documentary about a rock musician I have ever seen. I find that most rock documentaries and "bio-pics" about musicians share the same theme: Talented musician gets hooked on drugs, falls in love, gets off drugs, dies. Many studios feel that if they find someone that closely resembles Ray Charles or Johnny Cash, it is an excuse to make a film. Obviously, these films make money and become popular, but to me they are growing very old. Wild Man Fischer has lived a one-of-a-kind life and has a one-of-a-kind-mind...and Derailroaded is a one-of-a-kind experience. An amazing, heavy, unique rock and roll story, told with passion and sensitivity by the Ubin Twinz. It is often humorous, but not exploitative. This is a BRILLIANT film and now it's one of my new favourites.
on 2 November 2009
For years Larry 'Wild Man' Fischer was a curio, loved by a handful of fans, mocked by a few others and mainly ignored. Given the freakshow appeal of his music there was always a danger that someone would exploit him, so this documentary is little short of a blessing. A sympathetic portrait of a paranoid schizophrenic that shows the man in live action, covers his brief flirtations with fame, and lets those around him, notably his brother - who is a dead-ringer for Harpo Marx - tell their stories. You get enough of the unique music to know why his appeal will never die for some, and enough of the facts of his troubled life to understand why he may never perform or record again. Most of all, you get to hear Larry talk, and share intimate moments with him. Well worth the trouble and one of the few 'rockumentary' movies that takes the 'documentary' element seriously.
on 13 July 2009
Derailroaded is one of my favorite documentaries. I never heard of wild man ficher before this movie, but now I am a big fan. He is one of the worst singers ever but he has such passion and is so honest you cant help but listen. I am surprised Larry allowed so much access to his life with his paranoid delusions. This is a must see for any music fan.
on 24 February 2009
Many musicians have an image of being insane. David Bowie, Alice Cooper, Ozzy Osbourne. But when it comes to the fine line between insanity and genius, Larry Fischer is that line. He is actually schizophrenic. Prepare to have your mind blown by a mind that is.
on 17 August 2008
if your a fan of Wildman Fischer, Frank Zappa, Weird Al, the great duo Barnes and Barns, and Dr. Demento or a fan of any other novelty musician there a chance you might just enjoy this beautifal documentary about a man and the world that he belived was trying to kill him or cut of his penis.
None the less cheach it out its great, buy it.

I'm angry though that I had to get this from the uk and not buy it in a store in the U.S, but luckily the plane was fast and I only got it in two weeks so that was nice