Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 June 2006
After seeing Neil Sedaka twice in his recent UK tour and buying this CD I understand why Neil Sedaka is a living legend of music.

This music is simple, yet original. Every track can be listened to as background music, played to entertain, sung along to.

This CD is good because it contains not only all of the old classics that Neil is most famous for, such as Calendar Girl and Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen, but new tracks, some of which have never been released before, all just as excellent as the oldies.

Neils voice is pitch perfect, just as in the 50's and 60's, pure and warming. All I can say is that if you are not a Neil Sedaka fan, buy this CD, and you soon will be.

As a musician myself, Neil is my idol and my inspiration.
on 10 November 2009
For Sedaka fans, this album is a must. Double CD featuring all the 'oldies' as well as later classics such as"Laughter in the Rain" etc and the superb track "Going Nowhere" which is one of the reasons why I had to have this album. If you're a Sedaka fan, you won't be disappointed!
on 19 April 2008
Contains re-recordings of some of the earlier material which might disappoint some buyers, this review is not ment to take away any of the genius that is Neil Sedaka
This disc contains all of Neil's early original RCA hit recordings from the early 1960s (and these are VERY good transcriptions of those hits) but then we get onto his 70s hits and suddenly we're not hearing "All the Hits" any more, we're hearing Neil re-doing those hits - and not doing them as well as the originals.

I have no problem with people re-recording their hits, but that fact should be right upfront there on the artwork. When it's not there is always the suspicion that the intention is to deceive unwary buyers- and so it is with this release. To most people outside the music industry there IS a difference between the original hit recording and something done later on; it's a shabby trick, one that they play because they know if it DID say "Neil's re-recordings of his 70s hits" upfront on the artwork the CD would sell far fewer copies.

Anyway, I'm off to look for the original 70s hits.
66 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 February 2014
Read the feedback on this CD, some of it too purist for me - all I wanted was an overall, good Neil Sedaka CD with all his familiar songs on it and is exactly what I got in this compilation. On recent tv and radio media, Neil sounds as good as he ever did although, at one point a few years back, he seemed to go 'off the boil' tune-wise with a thought that perhaps he should retire but, no, listening to him on 'Friday Night is Music Night' on the 21st Feb (2014) he's back on form, totally tuneful, as fresh as when he was young. If you like Neil Sedaka, which is assumed you do if you're considering buying, this CD encapsulates everything 'popular' you'd want to hear, is a great memory reviver and sing-along delight. Pleased with its prompt arrival, well-wrapped, so would recommend and use this company again without hesitation.
Mainly decent recordings but there are a couple of live versions which distort a little, e.g. Solitaire. The 60's tracks are usually the original versions, however I Go Ape is a re recording although still decent. You get plenty of tracks for your money especially as I bought mine used for very little.
I do not know of the perfect Greatest Hits CD for NS, however I can recommend this one as it covers so many hits over a long period of time.
See ASIN: B00005LN5S The Very Best Of, has original early hits, perfect sound quality in stereo including I Go Ape, which is usually a re recording or a terribly distorted original mono version..
Also see ASIN: B00L9LVXE6 The Real... Neil Sedaka Box set has even more early hits up to 1972, decent sound, mainly stereo, except I Go Ape, which is a terribly distorted original mono version. I have done reviews of both, maybe worth reading them.
Recommended and owned by me.
on 26 February 2014
This album is riddled with sound problems. Some tracks like the Hungry Years have sound distortion. Most of the tracks are recorded at different sound levels. You play one track and you have to bump up the sound to hear it and then the next track starts and shatters your eardrums.
All the modern technology available and record companies still sell albums as bad as this one. The only way to enjoy this album is to edit all the tracks and set the volume levels to the same output.
on 7 May 2014
I agree with some of the reviewers regarding distortion, Solitaire is particularly awful, but the majority of songs seems to be okay. As for the re-recordings I disagree with some of the comments. The late 1950s / early 1960s are all the originals but some of the 1970s material like Solitaire and That's Where The Music Takes me are Live Versions. However Sedaka himself chose the track selection and must have preferred to include some live material.
on 25 October 2011
Fantastic double CD with all his hits. He just gets better and better and his opening track "You" on the first CD brings tears to my eyes whenever I hear it. A must for all Sedaka fans
on 26 October 2013
I love him this double album is great, full of niceities & spice, not the usual orchestrated *****, go on buy it listen & learn, dont be duped by media lies. aliboy