on 10 April 2015
excellant
on 5 February 2014
Watched this dvdmany years ago and it left a impact on me .true stoies are for me and this a second time was even better
on 25 August 2014
A good book
on 21 February 2013
If you get a chance, I would reccomend reading the novel first. But if not, you will enjoy it anyway. It's quite beautiful.
on 20 February 2016
Fab
on 20 April 2012
This film has to be on of the most beautifully directed films I have ever watched. I found myself totally absorbed in the story line......
on 21 March 2009
This is the story of a little girl who gets sold to become a geisha.
Its a sad story with a good ending.
One person found this helpful
on 8 May 2015
Thank you.....brilliant
on 29 November 2014
beautiful!
|11 Comment|Report abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 15 August 2007
I became a fan of early Japanese literature after reading a fictional story about Lady Murasaki. After hunting for similar books, it was not long before I discovered Arthur Golden's MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA, a contemporary novel about a young geisha during the time of the Second World War. I loved the book and so when I discovered that it was to be made into a film, I could not wait to see it. Of course, the problem when you love a book and then it is put to film, often you come away bitterly disappointed. Thankfully, with MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA, I need not have worried.

Although there are changes between the film version and the book (something which is inevitable with any adaptation), they were not so big so as to take anything away from the film version. It really is beautifully shot - the attention to nature and to the colours of the geisha world are vividly brought to life. This may seem like a small thing, but actually it is very important. From the time of Murasaki herself, the Japanese have long held an importance over colour - geisha girls would wear kimono that had the appropriate colours for the partciular season, and in early times social rank would dictate what colours they were allowed to wear. And the attention to nature reflects the love of nature that the great poets of early time expressed.
For me, this film truly brought the novel to life, making me want to go back to the novel to devour it again, savouring Golden's fabulous writing.
6 people found this helpful