on 19 February 2018
THE PACE OF THE STORY WAS VERY SLOW ALTHOUGH IT DID GRAB MY ATTENTION.UNFORTUNATELY THERE WAS NO REAL CONCLUSION TO THE STORY WHICH WAS DISAPPOINTING.ON WATCHING THE PRODUCER'S INTERVIEW ON THE EXTRAS IT BECAME APPARENT THAT THERE WAS A DEEPER MEANING TO THE FILM PSYCHOLOGICALLY WHICH WAS BEYOND MY REASONING SO MAYBE IT IS JUST MY SHORTCOMINGS ON UNDERSTANDING THIS STORYLINE BUT FOR ME IT WAS A DISAPPOINTING FILM.
on 29 October 2016
Original, and holds the viewer's attention with its deliberate, patient pace. It is confusing initially, one is genuinely baffled as to what is actually happening and how it can possibly be explained.

I have seen thousands of "jump moments", "shock frames", whatever you want to call them.........most you see coming, some genuinely make you jump. There is such a moment in this film, I do not believe that anybody, even if they have heard a mild spoiler in a review as long as the spoiler is not too descriptive, that will spot it coming, I genuinely missed a breath and a heartbeat!

And some reviewers say that it ends ambiguously, but I insist that the final 100 seconds show us exactly what had taken place.
on 16 November 2014
The film sometimes, unforgivably to some, plods along snails pace but the relationships and diaglogue is far from redundant. They are instead, rich with meaning and intrigue and hugely relevant to the conclusion. You have to look for the clues rather than have them provided on a platter, but the answers to the entire film - what it is really about and why things happen the way they do and why the film is named 'Hidden' really lay in the final two scenes. This is a whodunit of a more complex kind (it is no Miss Marple) whereby you get to choose the guilty party, with merely a subtle pointer of two to help you get started, because the one provided for you from shot one is really a giant red herring. Well worth a watch, provided you are up for something a bit deeper than your usual Agatha Christie Potboiler. There are a couple of scenes in the movie which could be distressing, which is why it is rated 18. Not a night to tuck into KFC and large fries.
VINE VOICEon 30 September 2013
"Caché", or "Hidden", is about a Parisian married couple for whom life appears ideal. They are professionally successful, he as the producer and host of a TV arts programme, and she in publishing. They have one son about 13 years old, a nice house and a close circle of interesting friends. Life is more or less perfect. Then one day they receive a video tape from an anonymous source. It shows the street where they live, with their front door as the focus. The tape runs for about two hours. In it they see themselves leave their own house on their way to work, their son leaving for school. They see cars pass, pedestrians pass, and a lot of nothing happening at all. A few days later another similar tape arrives. Then another. There is nothing overtly threatening in the tapes, but someone is obviously watching them. Their life has suddenly and eerily changed.

I saw "Caché" on TV about a year ago and found it utterly intriguing, so much so that I recently I bought the DVD so that I could watch it again. The film is written and directed by the Austrian director, Michael Haneke and anyone who is familiar with his work ("Funny Games", "Amour", "The Piano Teacher") will know not to expect the usual formulaic movie style. Haneke deals in harsh realities and non sugar-coated pills. He presents us with life-like complexities and outcomes. Life is full of loose ends and unresolved questions, as are the films of Michael Haneke. But they are so much more powerful for it. The husband and wife are superbly played by Daniel Auteuil and Juliette Binoche. The film is in French so I required the English subtitles which did not take from it in any way.

As is the case with all his work (that I have seen) everyone and everything looks normal. There is no Hollywood gloss - these people might be our neighbours, the places might be our neighbourhoods. The dialogue is as we might speak ourselves - no super-smart bull. The film is shot with a lot of fixed-frame, long-take shots. Everything is beautifully done. It is totally superb.

And what it is about? Well, the scene is set as I mention above. The rest you must watch yourself. There are two excellent "extra features" on the DVD including an interview with Haneke in which he states that the film is about guilt, about accepting or rejecting the blame for bad things that happen because of something that we have done (even unwittingly, or innocently) and how one deals with that acceptance or rejection.

I would really like to tell you more about the film because I loved it so much, but anything I tell you will not do it justice and may even spoil it for you somewhat. Just watch it - it is cinema as it should be.

But, if I may, one thing..well, two things.

1> Watch out towards the end (ok, how will you know it's towards the end?..well it's almost 2 hours in) for a scene of a farmyard, empty except for the presence of a few chickens, and with the sound of a car engine fading into the distance. It is more powerful in its few minutes than most mainstream films are in their entirety.

2> The final scene. Very mysterious...what is it about? I had really no idea but it still moved me powerfully. Then I watched the Haneke Interview and I knew a little more, and also found myself amongst the approx 50% of viewers who had missed something that is relevant in that scene. After the interview I watched the scene again and then I pointed out what we had missed to my wife and she said "OnmyGodddd!!!"

Actually, it doesn't matter if you miss the thing in that scene, but if you do happen to notice, well...my wife put it perfectly..."onmyGodddd!!!"

Oh, and finally, the film's name "Caché", or "Hidden". What exactly is it that is hidden? "The truth". Haneke tells us, "The truth is always hidden. There are a thousand versions of the truth. It depends on your point of view."

Stunningly good cinema.
on 14 July 2015
Incredibly engrossing and intriguing. Kept me hooked all the way through. Superb acting, great writing and story. Although the film may not reach a suitable conclusion, which will bother some, it is more of a character study and it looks at how the situation effects a person (paranoia and all that). So don't go expecting everything to be wrapped up nicely in a ribbon, then you'll enjoy it more.
The blu-ray itself is terrific, picture is great and really detailed.
on 13 November 2016
Faultless film. Got completely immersed in it. Can't understand why so many reviewers complain of it being slow and boring. Overdosed on Holywood junk,maybe?
on 13 April 2018
Excellent film
on 3 March 2018
Brilliant!
on 17 August 2016
Slightly bizarre film (with curious ending). I loved it. My wife hated it.
on 1 January 2015
The French make the best films and plot are very intriguing. This will have you thinking, as it did me. Watch the interview with the director too.