Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 April 2010
Now, the cover of this album seems to imply that it's a compilation (I don't buy compilations because I feel like it isn't the way the artist intended for the songs to be heard), but as far as I can see it's pretty much the same tracklisting as her first album "El Perro Del Mar"... I prefer the title of this one because I think it's cute. The only real difference I can see in this and her first album is that this doesn't have "God Knows" on it (which is one reason you may want the first album rather than this because alot of people love that track). So yea, basically I am treating this as a re-issue of her first album then.

So how does it sound? Unusual and lovely I would say. Instrumentation is very delicate, light and minimal (pretty standard setup of guitar, bass, drums and a few other things)... it's a very vocal centric album, so onto that then I suppose.

Vocals and lyrics, where be they and what like? Well, they are the central focus of the album and are therefore prevalent throughout the whole thing. Her voice is not going to be to everyone's tastes I shouldn't think... not like "love it or hate it", I don't think you'll hate it... but it may suprise you. She has a very shy delicate voice and pretty much always sounds upset (but not in a way where it brings you down, more in a way where you wanna go "awww it's alright, give us a hug" sort of thing). The lyrics are simple but lovely, nothing abstract or fancy here, but very nice nonetheless... just sort of, honest, which is always nice.

Recommended to people who like lighter indie and acoustic music, and to anyone who fancies something a bit different. Very good album, I'll certainly be after some more :)

Dom x