Customer reviews

on 10 March 2014
I can't remember where of how I first came across Christian Scott, but this is my first CD of his. And I love it... great grooves, interplay between the musicians, solos that take you on a journey... I'm really enjoying this CD, apart from the fact that I am a jazz lover (and hater of pretention & lets face it, some newer artists are like that), Scotts music draws you in and takes on a journey. All the tracks are very much a collection from the same palette, but that is its strength, as it is a collection of colour & mood worth listening to over again. Thomas Pridgen on drums drives the band whether with modern dancy grooves or all out jazz attitude. Like This is a great track & a nice tune (where are all the good tunes these days ?) ...with a hint retro groove things that are going on so much the time these days with other bands and artists (but where they don't deliver, this does), but it also has all the neceassary elements of a great song. Tops marks from me for this young man. Now here is someone who is taking everything from jazz (and other forms of music) past and putting into something distinctive and all his own for the future... Rewind That... yes I will again and again willingly.
on 10 May 2014
This truly is a 'grammy nominated' album. It is the best piece of Modern day, 'milesesque' jazz I have heard. I can't stop listening to it. The guitars are so much more subtle than John Mclaughlin. And the version of So What is too short.
on 6 February 2012
This is a great album with some proper energy. This is what I might call modern fusion jazz and some real nice hooks in there (don't worry only a couple of random sort of tracks, like track 2 which is horrible and aimless). The good definitely outweighs the bad though. The cover 'so what' is my favourite, I mean that track alone made me want to buy. Ifollow drummers, and this guy is pretty busy and has a great snare sound, always keeps it interesting - check him out on youtube etc ... The lead man on the brass is talented and tasteful, its his band but he doesn't hog it all - the band is worthy for him, and they get plenty of chances to show off. Great work guys, keep it up.
on 12 May 2013
At least in these guys' hands it does. Full-on, thumping, electric groove with some fine horn work to boot. Hard not to be swept up in the funk maelstrom that ensues...!
on 16 September 2015
It's a long time since I was so excited by an album
on 2 April 2015
a rising star, Miles Davis would be proud.
on 4 February 2016
brilliant, one of the better albums.