Customer reviews

on 1 April 2006
This is an excellent camera - the best I've had to date. I'm so looking forwards to taking it out on the boat once the weather warms up this summer.
Pros:
- Very fast to boot and take pictures; I pulled it out of its case and snapped the front of a moving subway train. On previous cameras I've used, I would have been lucky to snap the back of the train as it left the tunnel! In short, there's virtually no shutter lag, which makes this a winner for me.
- There's no lens 'extension' to snag or flatten the battery as it extends/retracts. This must contribute to its fast boot times and decent battery life.
- It's waterproof. Not yet tested it in anger, but if it's not, it'll be going back under warranty!
- Very simple and clearly labelled controls. Most settings were obvious (like turning off the daft click and boot-up noises). A quick scan of the excellent manual was enough to understand the more complex settings.
- Good battery life - probably as it's not constantly extending and retracting the lens.
- Totally quiet in operation - there's no click/bang/buzz/polyphonic ringtone. Nor is there a whirr of the lens extending. Excellent for taking pictures in museums/libraries/churches.
Cons:
- No lens cap. You *must* buy the optional case and make a conscious effort to not smudge the lens, although you could wash the camera to clean it!
- No optical rangefinder, so you have to rely on the screen to frame pictures. This is not much use if it's dark or very bright --this isn't to say the screen's bad, just limited like all screens.
Other comments:
- It comes with some software including some editing software and USB drivers, but this isn't necessary if you have a card reader (and Photoshop/Fireworks).
- Photo quality seems great. I'm sure it won't stand up to it's bigger and more expensive brethren, but then again they can't compete in the silence and waterproof game!
- Please Pentax, on your next model, could you just add the option of a snap-on lens cap? This camera will be used in places that are far more likely to end up in damage, for instance in a cockpit locker on a sailing boat.
In all this is a great 'snappy' camera that will be travelling everywhere with me. It's not a semi-pro camera or aiming at the highest quality. But it is waterproof, and that for me is essential for any electronic equipment destined for the great outdoors.
I'm completely chuffed to bits with it!
on 23 September 2006
I will give this camera a 5 star rating because it is by far the best camera i have had. I was going back and forth between this camera and the Olympus 720SW, however the 720 was much mor expensive and didnt have great reviews.

this camera is so articulate considering its size and appearence. I find it perfect for everyday camera work, however it may not be the choice of the proffesionals. The pictures are immaculate and the waterproof feature is great. I took it on holiday and used it in the pool and other places and it worked fine, but broke on the 4th day. Water got in behind the screen and refused to turn on. I think this was my own fault however because i dont think i cleaned the rubber seal well enough and a grain of sand may have let water in. Amazon have kindly replaced it hassle free as it was less than 30 days old. I would highly reccommend this camera as it is small and the screen is huge and the pictures are great. One other small problem was that the casing became quite blemished from normal wear and tear in just one week. The scratches were very small but i thought the plastic should probably be a bit more resilient.

Pros:

Great picture Quality

In camera editing (Red Eye Reduction)

Waterproof

Huge Screen

Lots of shooting modes

Cons:

Easily scratched

Extra care is needed with the battery cover rubber sealing
HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 14 May 2006
Having previously owned the Pentax WPi I was very pleased to see the upgraded specification of this successive model with its 2.5" LCD screen and video upgraded to 640 from 320. Alas, the three cameras I purchased (2 in the UK, 1 in France) all carried a defect on the video function which produces a loud clicking, creaking and grating sound making any video clips unusable.

I have referred this issue back to Pentax as I feel it is too coincidental for all three of three cameras tested to carry the same fault.

If Pentax can correct this fault then this will leave users with a superb, compact, lightweight camera of a high specification for 'point and shoot' use in any environment. The image quality is probably the highest within its class, it works well at low light levels and any shutter lag is barely noticable.

I am very pleased with my purchase - but because I need to use the video function, two of the three cameras have had to be returned and I've kept the third for now while I await advice from Pentax and a full technical assessment of the model.

I suggest any prospective purchasers wait until this fault is addressed before making a purchase if you wish to be able to use the video facility.

Once this issue is addressed then I will award it five stars.
on 22 May 2006
Although made of plastic, the camera feels robust and is a doddle to use. Shame they did not include an additional lens cover, but have not scratched the clear glass that covers the lens yet- Pictures are vibrant and easily edited within the camera..Going on holiday to Cornwall soon and can't wait to use it in the water!!
on 24 January 2008
Very good overall camera, easy to use and handle. But be warned - the first time I used it snorkelling (one month outside warranty expiry!) water entered camera and now there are dots on every picture I take. The camera was only used for about 10mins before the dots appeared and was no more than arms length underwater. Specifications list it as waterproof to 1.5m for 30mins so it was very disappointing to find this camera does not hold up to its description.