Gerber Multi-Tool Suspension, Grau, GE22-41471
Package Type: Regular|Change

on 18 March 2017
I have owned a Gerber multi tool for about 20 years and it has never let me down. I bought this one as a gift for my father and I was not disappointed with the quality on its arrival. n fact I was a little jealous as this new model looks great and feels good in the hand. Good to see you can still fully dismantle the item to clean and service to ensure it lasts many years.
on 11 March 2016
This appears excellent on first impression. It seems robust and less likely to break than lighter, smaller, cheaper options. I say lighter as this is relatively heavy and when holding it with both handles together it is quite large, certainly compared to a buck knife that I've had for over a decade. Also the size makes it not the most comfortable to hold for long periods and there are no rubberised inserts apart from at the ends for use with the pliers, or other hand contoured parts.
The edge blades are able to be put into work position by using the side lugs and all lock well (beware as the locking makes even the small blades illegal within UK so don't go strolling along the High Street with it fixed to your belt!) The middle accessories; screwdriver, scissors, lanyard eye, bottle/can opener are a bit fiddly to get out with no finger nail recesses. I'm sure there is a technique to it but with no instructions included I'll need to trial and error.
The knives are sharp though and each of the accessories look as if they will do you a job when out and about. I used the straight edged knife during some woodwork and the edge stayed sharp throughout.
Having the addition of a serrated second blade is great though for more stubborn cutting and is every bit as sharp.
The best bit was the price though. After a successful price match it was in the bag for less than a score. At that price it could be a 5 star however until I've used it problem free for years it will be a high four.
on 10 June 2015
Been using this thing for a month or so. I'm a sound engineer, so I come across a reasonable amount of things that need screwing/cutting/plier-ing. It's an absolutely fantastic tool, it has all of the things I need and none of the things I don't:

- The knives arrive sharp and seem to stay sharp, I'll update this review when they need sharpening.
- The screwdrivers are good enough for most screws (the pozi-drive slips on stiffer screws, but at that point you should be using a proper screwdriver anyway). The small flathead isn't quite small enough for adjusting the gain pots on some older-style wireless mic packs I come across, so I keep a teeny screwdriver on my belt for that.
- The bottle opener has opened every bottle I've thrown at it so far, a not insignificant number.
- The scissors are a little uncomfortable to use but they do cut competently.
- There's a sturdy tie-off point which is absolutely essential if you're working at any kind of height; You wouldn't want to drop a sharp knife on people below.
- The belt pouch seems fairly half-assed but it does keep the tool attached securely to my belt.
- The pliers/snips are sturdy and predictably cut/strip VanDamme Tour Grade cable, and guitar strings. I've also used them to extract hex bolts, a task which they perform amicably.
- The tool in general feels well-built and sturdy. There's no wobble or slop in any of the mechanisms, and the blade locks feel secure.

This tool is becoming my new daily driver multitool, after the hinges on my Gerber Compact Sport (an absolutely fantastic tool) finally gave out. At £19 it's an absolute steal, and I would definitely recommend it to those looking for a multitool but don't want to spend £90 on a Leatherman Wave.

Keep in mind that knives with locking blades are not legal to carry on your person in the UK, so please consult your local police force before making the purchase: I've spoken to mine who agreed that locking blades are safer for the user and advised that provided I kept it in my bag/tool case when not in a venue I should be alright. YMMV however, so do your due diligence and don't pull any stupid stunts.

I use a bottle of 3-in-1 oil to keep the tool lubricated. The only time I've had to add a few drops is when I cleaned some contact cement from the blade with acetone. In normal usage, you should only need to lubricate the mechanisms every 3/4 months, or when the knife mechanisms feel "rough".

TL;DR: Great tool, buy it if you're considering it. Not legal to carry on your person in the UK, keep it in your toolkit and you should be OK.
on 30 October 2017
This is overall a nice tool. Everything seems tight and well put together. If I were to compare it to something like the leatherman wingman I would say this is lacking in terms of size of tools and bulkiness. The wingman has a large knife and scissors on the outside of the tool which don't have to fit under the pliers. This is also unnecessarily wide and bulky. If they had got rid of the saw on one side and the serrated knife on the other, aswell as removing the brass separators between the tools then this could have been as thin as the wingman.

The positives are the fact everything locks, the tools are good, especially the scissors and overall the quality is high.
on 27 May 2017
These are brilliant. Gerbers suspension multi tool is the best made, best value of its kind. I have used these at home and professionally. I also own a leathernan which I love but I always turn to the Gerber. Brilliant and precise engineering with locking blades/ tools and the long nose pliers are sprung and very strong.
on 20 October 2016
Solid build and very comfortable grip. Very well put together and does not feel cheap in any way.

Premium quality multi tool which includes all parts.

There is a locking feature on the blades for added safety and it will not unlock by mistake, it will need significant force to unlock and close the knife part.

The knife is also very sharp, I have a terrible habit of testing the sharpness of a blade by rubbing it with my thumb and when I did so I ended up with quite a deep cut with very little pressure put on the blade so take a lot of care.

Very well made and useful tool however the only reason I have rated it 4 stars is that the sheath that comes with it is not the best material and easily rips. This is the only inferior part of this product. Other than the sheath this is a great buy.
on 2 April 2016
I got one for Christmas and thought it was great using it for work, at home and outdoors. It really is suprising how many times you reach for it on a daily basis. Unfortunately after having it a year I lost it. So I bought another. The going rate for one of these is 50-70 quid so great to get it for 25. I have owned leathermans over the years but the Gerber is just as good and I do put it through the mill. Probably the best buy I have ever bought as these days it's rare to part with your money and get something that lasts more than an hour. I swear by Gerber, fiscars the UK warranty upholders are exceptional and replaced items on my survival knife pro without hesitation even though I openly admitted it was my error.
on 7 May 2014
Arrived within 2-3 days, so I would use the seller again. I've been looking for a decent multi-tool for a while and this seems to fit my requirements. Price wise it's good value for money, has good build quality and feels solid. Comes with a lovely black pouch/sheath with a velcro cover plus it has two different belt loops which gives the user some variety depending on how they want carry the item. I'll be using this as a daily go to multi-tool. Taking the tools can be a wee bit fiddly but that's just a case of getting used to it, but saying that as it has a skeleton frame you can push out the tools that you require from the opposite side if (you'll understand what I mean when you get one). Gerber always seem to thrive on it's reputation that it's products are made in the USA, whereas this is made in China, not that should put anyone off buying this multi-tool, I'm just a wee bit annoyed as it feels a bit like hype/false advertising on Gerber's part. In addition, Gerber's full lifetime warranty is only valid in North America and Canada, anywhere outwith that area it's only 25 years.

Pros: Good value for money, good selection of tool, blades are sharp, feels and looks well made, ergonomic, sturdy locking mechanism for tools when in use, comes with a good handy sheath, 2 different belt loop settings on sheath

Cons: 25 year warranty if bought outside North America where it would have a full lifetime warranty. Saw had a slightly wobble, can be easily rectified by tightening screw. Lanyard ring is a bit redundant if using other tools as it gets in the way of other, unless you attach it to an releasable lanyard clip.

Will update product review if I have and more good or bad feedback.
on 1 July 2014
Exactly as advertised, excellent quality, price and speedy delivery, purchased for EDC bag at work, pouch looks good but will not be using it however over time I can see wear & tear on the pouch will take it's toll, if you need to belt carry this tool try and get a leather pouch. Tool itself arrived with a very thin film of oil on it, recommend you lubricate it once in awhile and after getting damp/wet dry it first, fits my hand (think EX.L glove size) very well (smaller hands should have no problem gripping the handles), scissors cut very well as Fiskars should, however the spring action may annoy some people !, blade releases are just right not too tight/loose, small hard rubber type inserts inside handle to assist in gripping when using pliers, overall a compact, lightweight multitool that will have you reaching for it, just remember although the blades are sub 3" they lock in place making it illegal to openly carry in the UK.
I also carry a small penknife (merely for the tweezers and file) on my key ring, together they should do everything I need without getting a big tool box out, a medics pentorch is in my tunic pen pocket along with a fisher space pen. Hope this helps.
on 11 January 2018
This is the second Gerber suspension I have bought, they are used on a daily basis several times a day. First one I had the knife stops fell off and it was time to bin it. This one is the same model bt manufacture is slightly different. However something that is consistent is the poor quality pouch, the Velcro just does not really work after around a week. Other than that I would give it 5 stars, but knocked one off for the very poor quality Velcro fastening. What I do like about the Gerber is the feel in the hand, it is very comfortable. Shame on Gerber that the main knife blade is so blunt from new, once it had been sharpened it has been ok.