on 5 February 2017
Probably one of the best war films ever. Having the warring sides speaking in their own languages adds a touch of authenticity and the movie stands in stark contrast to modern films where no-one seems to speak for more than 15 seconds. It tells the story well and, having visited the Normandy beaches, it is not a romanticized version by any means. Standing on the Pointe du Hoc and looking down those sheer cliffs that the Rangers had to climb bought home the heroism of those troops and served to underline how much we have devalued the word 'hero' by applying it to any overpaid, narcissistic, illustrated sportsman who is only good at doing something completely pointless.The documentary contained in the DVD is excellent and the intercutting of scenes from the movie with film of the actual locations makes for interesting viewing. It would be interesting to do an updated version. I was highly amused to see the mannequin dressed as a paratrooper hanging from the spire of the church of Sainte-Mere-Eglise which immediately brought that famous scene from the movie to mind. The all-star cast which is a who's who of Hollywood of the time is great as you try to remember their names, especially seeing a pre-Bond Sean Connery in what must have been one of his first roles. The more I watch this film, the more I like it. I'd recommend it to any war film buff and anyone interested in the history of WW2.
on 19 January 2017
For those of you still wondering why Fox has never issued the colorised version of this terrific film on DVD or BluRay since the 50th Anniversary version on VHS, I can tell you that, despite several requests to the Fox Studio, they have advised 'there are no current plans', but 'will forward your enquiry to our marketing Department.'

So, it may happen yet. Just keep your fingers crossed! The
on 6 January 2018
I returned to "The Longest Day" after many, many years following a brief revival of interest in WW2 Airborne Operations as I had memories of that ex-Para Richard Todd cast as Major John Howard at Pegasus Bridge. I had completely forgotten how very USA-centric the film was - I guess if you pay the bill, you get to write the script? But this is almost on the scale of "Operation Burma" or "U-571" - with the exception of a glorious airborne tracking shot over "Sword Beach" and about 10 minutes covering Pegasus Bridge, the 80,000+ British and Commonwealth troops get barely a mention. Even the 209 Free (sic) French Paratroops and Commandos get more screen time. The other equally annoying aspect is the significant percentage of the film devoted to pointless cameos to massage the egos of the many "star names". Curious how this would be repeated in the film version of Ryan's other celebrated book "A Bridge Too Far" (and not just James Caan!!!!). "The Longest Day" is very much of its time and it's just Hollywood make-believe NOT a documentary (unless you're American).
on 9 April 2017
I actually purchased this film because I am doing a research pack for a good friend's autistic grandson and this particular war film is ideal because it tells the story of D-Day from both perspectives. It is not ultra violent like more modern-day war films. It has no gore and bad language.

I would recommend this film to anyone who is interested in the Second World War.
on 5 January 2018
One of the finest WW2 war films, shot in documentary format, it plays on personal vignettes and massive set pieces as well. It is one of the finest war films of all times with a fantastic cast that play out of their skins. Many of the actors either served or were there on the day itself which makes all the more realistic. Well worth seeing again and again and again.
on 5 June 2012
The Longest Day is a classic, only real criticism I have is where they start with the person ID or location at the start with the translation at the top of the screen only for it to move down - it's annoying. But the film is a good account of the D-Day landings, if somewhat meandering towards the end to a subdued finish. There's plenty of action to keep your eyes fixed on screen, no huge amounts of special effects to detract from the acting and plot.

A Bridge Too Far is the main reason I bought this DVD set, it is a brilliant film with lots of stars and action. With all the remakes and seeming lack of new ideas over in Hollywood I thought this and other war films would get redone, or at least the battle. I suppose they think Saving Private Ryan touches on it, I also guess the truth is some of these films were so well made it would be hard to improve on it.

Patton I'm afraid lets this DVD set down, the opening scene was appalling and the rest of the film continued at a low standard. I don't know what it thought it was doing, but if it was going for American bravado then it sucked. The battle scenes were poor, the whole thing really let the side down and did no favours selling the Americans as champions of war if that was (part of) the intention.

So I give this four stars out of five, if it had been just The Longest Day and A Bridge Too Far then it would get a five out of five. I considered giving Patton away, or binning it, but it is a set so as I have kept the DVD so too must the rating suffer. Don't be put off, the other two films are both 4.5-5.0 stars and the price is right. Just leave Patton in the box.
VINE VOICEon 2 June 2016
A classic movie of its type. Unusually for 1962, shot in black and white, but it gives it a news-reel kind of realism. The cast is a veritable whos-who of the movie industry of the time. Unusually the German forces and commanders get as much screen time as their allied counterparts, and they are not stereotyped "evil huns and krouts" either. There are a few loose ends left dangling at the end as sub-plots seem to get forgotten about, but I guess that was true on the day too.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 September 2017
This is an amazing film about the D Day landings in France told from the prospective of the Allies and also of the Germans.
The case list is amazing and must include all the major film stars of the day.
on 12 September 2017
Purchased this to introduce grandchildren (13 & 10) to the D Day landings prior to our holiday with them in Normandy. Both enjoyed the film and were able to better understand venues we visited and their significance in the landings.
on 12 October 2017
My Mum is a huge fan of John Wayne and you wouldn't believe what I have to endure when he is on the TV. I must say, this is a good film, one war film I do enjoy watching,