Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 21 August 2015
I'm a relative novice and found the dvd tough. I have subsequently had a couple of classes and now I'm a bit more up to speed I can follow what the chap is doing more easily.
on 7 January 2017
Great introduction to dynamic yoga at a decent price, I am a beginner and have tried some other dvds but they are a bit too advanced for the novice. This is easy to follow, down side is you may require something else once you advance in your practice.
on 3 February 2013
Not a swish production but Howards lovely voice and gentle yoga postures are heaven when my 50 yo bod needs some tlc.
Nice not to feel the benefits of yoga without needing amazing flexibilty.
on 5 January 2015
not bad value
on 27 December 2014
Present for Xmas for son who was trhilled with this item
on 19 April 2017
Fantastic
on 10 March 2002
Having done yoga for several months now, I was looking for a workout I could do at home that was like a real class and Godfrey Devereaux's Dynamic Yoga is exactly that! I'd heard alot about Godfrey Devereaux being a very good teacher and on this video he lives up to his reputation.
The dynamic work of this ashtanga sequence is intense but flows slower than the ashtanga classes I have been to - which in its own way is a plus as you get more time to master the poses.
If you already know the postures that are done during the video (mainly those from the primary series), then you will find Devereux's instructions excellent as he gives just enough detail without over doing it. I also like the way he speaks as he is very direct and focused throughout.
Although the poses may seem simple to someone who is used to very advanced hatha or Iyengar, they are very strong and work your body like he promises. You truly get a dynamic workout and come away, after 75 (video broken down into very nice warm-up sequence followed by standing poses, sitting poses, and then floor poses/relaxation) minutes feeling great (perky yet also relaxed).
With loads of videos to choose from, I think it's hard to find an excellent one, however I definitely feel I have with Dynamic Yoga.
on 20 March 2001
Having completed a course in Astanga Yoga, and not being able to afford any more claases, I invested in this video. I was really surprised at the intensity of the workout. However, the instructor's voice can become a little draining after a while, and although the video is divided in to sections (very useful if you are stuck for time, and don't want to repeat the same thing over and over) each section can be a bit repetitious in itself.
I have never bought any other yoga videos, so I don't know how this compares, but I can say for now I am not tempted to - I think I handle a mundane voice for the rewards I get from it! I really did notice a change in body shape after only two weeks.
One word of warning, which is in agreement with one of the above reviews: there are no alternatives for less experienced viewers, so be careful when you are starting out, and don't push yourslef beyond your means, as you could end up really hurting yourself! If you bear this in mind, then this is an excellent video for both beginners and the more advanced - it is up to YOU to decide how hard you push yourself - if you are not finding the workout challneging, then you're not doing it properly!!!
For all people considering buying a yoga video who have had no previous experience, I would reccommend that you have at least one or two taught yoga sessions anywhere just to get a feel for it - often the mistakes you are making can only be seen by another person, so watch out!
on 16 February 2002
I found this video to be a gateway to wellbeing, relaxation and a toned body. One feels as though every muscle has been used leaving a total feeling of calm.
It is sensibly divided up into sections so when you are short of time you could combine one, two or three sections and still benefit. My 3 year old son and I sometimes do the "standing" poses together afterwhich my helpful husband whisks him away so I can complete the relaxation alone! Whilst I have practiced yoga for 10 years I really do feel there is something for everybody in this video whether beginning or advanced. I particularly like this dynamic form of yoga which seems to appeal to both men and women. I have found it useful in improving my cardiovascular fitness which other more "static" forms of yoga do not incorporate.
The beach setting of this video makes you feel warm and calm. I really loved this video!
on 26 January 2005
This DVD offers a basic overview of some Ashtanga Yoga poses, but with a limited number of dynamic moves,repeated continually.
Obvious moves such as "Triangle pose" and similar stances are missed out. "Salute to the sun" is only done in part, and then not explained as such. No names are provided of any moves, except for "Dog", and the narrator does not explain the important Yoga "breath" ; where the student should be breathing from to do correct vinyasa. These facts will present some students with difficulty if using this video as the sole basis for their beginner work; then moving on to others. The narrator is also very "monotone"..not an inspiring speaker. Too much sitting work from a basic crossed leg pose.
44 Comments| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse