Halo 3 (Xbox 360)
Edition: Normal|Change

Showing 1-10 of 30 reviews(2 star). See all 426 reviews
on 2 January 2014
I was quite disappointed by this game as it didn't live up to the expectations I had heard from my friends, so next time I will use YouTube for game reviews so I don't buy a disappointing game again
on 10 July 2013
The game arrived with a case that was broken in multiple places. Even though it was supposed to be in good condition.
on 15 September 2014
Floaty controls. Mediocre graphics. An annoying hud. No iron sights (apart from the odd zoom ability on some weapons). A general gaudy feel to the look and colour scheme. Grenades to be picked up are bigger than fallen comrade's heads. Little tension and the action and set pieces have no real impact. Childish enemies and no realism. Poor level design with some heavy backtracking in places. Abysmal vehicle controls. The list goes on.

I own both PS3 & XBOX360 so I am not biased about exclusive titles. (Gears of War trilogy being a highlight of my gaming experiences). This is, in all seriousness, just a bit rubbish. A light shooter for the kids, nothing more. In truth I haven't played the first 2, but this shouldn't matter. I didn't play the first Mass Effect either but Mass Effect 2 is one of my favourite games of all time.
While Halo 3, to be fair, is not the worst of the worst, it isn't that great either. It's simply boring, severely below par technically and just not very enjoyable. I don't play multiplayer so couldn't comment, but with a campaign that looks and plays this poor I can't imagine or being any better. A disappointment.
2 people found this helpful
on 10 August 2013
Not a bad game but found it quite difficult to control and to follow the story line. Call of Duty is a much better game but if you are into the futuristic games then I guess you would proably like the Halo series.
on 8 December 2009
Dunno why everyone likes this so much - I bought it based on reviews - tried to get into dozen times but I and find it just too linear/boring

I much prefer to free-roaming like GTA or Crackdown and then *I* decide how/when I am going to tackle problems/missions

Or i might not bother following missions at all and just wander around blasting the hell out of everything and anything - can't do that in Halo 3 - too scripted
on 31 December 2007
Having played Halo 1, I was expecting something a bit more with Halo 3 being the 360 release of the game. I maybe too cynical to be carried away with the narrative of the trilogy (a marketing ploy by MS), I looked at the game as a first person shooter rather than the conclusion to a trilogy. I probably lost some of the enjoyment by doing this, but found the playability of the game a disappointment, there is very little in the way of tactics or problem solving, its just point and shoot, which does get monotonous after a while. Do not get me wrong the game looks a treat on your screen, but that does not really make up of what is lacking.
If you want a good looking shooter where you point and shoot then buy this, however if you want something with a little more depth then buy Halflife2 or one of the Tom Clancy series.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 19 October 2007
Like most 360 owners I had been waiting for Halo 3 to come out since the end of the 2nd game but when I played the newest edition it felt I was playing a shorter more boring version of Halo 2 and I felt very disappointed.

The graphics on the game have a few nice scenes like visually intresting backgrounds and skies and natural looking enviroments but after a while you realise they hav'nt really bothered much that much on improving since Halo 2. I'm also not sure how they manage to make characters look so unrealistic and blocky. Of course the graphics are far better than the original Halo on xbox but this is the 360 and with games like gears of war they did'nt have any excuse for the lack of effort.

The gameplay I found was the biggest dissapointment, I can take there sub-standard graphics, terrible character acting and recycled story but the gameplay was the biggest element and they screwed it right up. The game seems EVEN shorter than Halo 2 and everything that happend I felt was just too predictable, game starts, initial fighting off invasion, flood turn up, flood finished with, convenant finished with, world saved, end of game; WOW! just like the previous two. There are no improvements to character control or transport, weapons have been messed with to make them even more boring to use and the drone like from A to B got tedious. One the pro side enemy AI seems improved and the human soldiers appear a bit tougther than before.

A redeeming quality of this game is the multiplayer games which I think the game was made for as they are even more fun than previous games with the new maps and transport.

I think if this game was 3X longer than what was given to us (as it could have be put in Halo 2 it was so short) and the story was not exactly the same as the other two WITH predictable plot turns and a terrible ending I'd be a lot happier. Buy only for multiplayer, rent for the story.
One person found this helpful
on 8 October 2007
The game was ok about on par with Halo 1. But it kinda sucks that the game was on par with such a "great but old game". Even many levels looked the same as for the ending!! Try originality.

The fact that I got the box off the post man at lunchtime and completed it the same day also amazed me. The single player game is short about 6/7 hours. It feels same as before with a few new guns and carts. Should have had more for such a widely anticipated and hyped game. If you never played Halo it will be fun but if you played H1 forget it.
4 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 12 December 2007
I am not happy with the state of this game. the graphics are good, but a bit dodgy sometimes - NOT GOOD ENOUGH! certain textures look worse than
Halo 1.
The one player adventure is FAR FAR too short. I feel like I have been cheated.
Yes its a good game, its halo, but the gameplay hasn't evolved past halo 2. The new secondary items that do stuff like give you a shield etc. aren't needed and make no difference in the one player game. In fact, by the time you notice their effects the game is over anyway.
This whole game stinks - I think microsoft KNEW everyone was going to buy it no matter what, so it didn't matter how much money or effort they put into it. Money rules the world! and it ruins good games when developers get greedy and try to do things as cheaply as possible. PATHETIC! Come on microsoft HALO is suppposed be your biggest game! all I can imagine is money driven suits in their boardrooms saying "the idiots will buy it whatever we do, ha ha ha! just make a quick campaign and disguise the lack of actual content with lots and lots of pointless features so the fools wont see any different and convince themselves its still a great game. HA HA HA HA!"

You wont ever find Nintendo rushing a Mario game, and never will Sony allow a new Metal Gear to be far to short and void of great new gamplay content.THEN WHY ON EARTH IS HALO SO PATHETIC? The character models look like they are from Halo 2 with some textures added, PATHETIC. It Literally feels like you are halfway through the game when you complete it. The story is Awful.

But what does Microsoft get for cutting corners and cheating everyone?great great reviews. Yep, outstanding reviews by Mr. FPS Obsessive. He Skims over the fact that the game is far too short and finishes it all off saying its worth it because of all the extra features.

You wont be buying me over with your pathetic little extra features I WANT CONTENT! Come on microsoft! After finishing the game in no time I really don't want to mess around with a fancy map editor and 'film' myself in action.

Oh well Id better complete it again on legendary this time so it doesn't feel like I've wasted my money. GRRR...
5 people found this helpful
on 18 November 2014
Halo was a flagship title for Xbox, which introduced and made available a first person shooter to a new generation. Previously, to play a game of this magnitude required a decent PC so the Xbox managed to bring a first person shooter into the lounge of a brand new group of gamers. I played Halo 3 on its release in 2007 and was underwhelmed.

For a game released in 2007 it's neither well polished or original; especially when compared to games like Half-Life and Deus Ex, which where released on PC in 1998 and 2000, both of which had original ideas and where superior in there design (even graphically), I'm an avid gamer and prefer console games over PC but Halo 3 is undeservedly placed on a pedestal due to nostalgic gamers who were introduced to games during this period.

I recently replayed Halo 3 on multiplayer with friends but for 2007 the graphics are flat and blocky and without fluidity, especially if you compare them to land mark games like Shadow of the Colossus, which was released two years earlier with graphics which still rival newly released games. The campaign is average and Master Chief, as a character, is dull (just heard they're making a Halo film considering his mostly mute and faceless that should be interesting). There are things which are unique to Halo such as sticky grenades and The Flood which I commend. Multiplayer, however, is full of glitches and gamers taking advantage of glitches. My favourite being the player who found a means to access what should be the solid structure of a wall were he couldn't be seen or shot at but could shoot unsuspecting players with impunity. This is all too common making multiplayer a rigged experience.
2 people found this helpful