on 23 May 2007
When you are as cool and talented as Richard Butler and responsible for some of the most defining music of the 1980's, what do you do next? Pack up and move to New York and become an artist .... and then surprise everyone with a sublime set of original songs in 2006? Yes is the answer to that. Whilst the Furs lost the plot a bit by the mid 1980's, they still produced some of the best Bristish music ever with President Gas and Talk Talk Talk. Boy, could they write a pop tune with edge! It is such a bonus that Richard Butler has re-discovered that form and "Good Days, Bad Days", "California" , the catchy "Broken Aeroplanes" and "Sentimental Airlines" are as vibrant and original as those early years but in a more mature way. His voice has always been unique and it sounds even better now. As with Lloyd Cole, it seems an Englishman in New York flourishes. This album just gets better and better the more you hear it. Why hasnt the English press caught onto one of their finest singer songwriting treasues? Cant wait for more.
on 24 September 2006
I hardly ever bother writing reviews. However, this CD has been on repeat for the past week. Mr Butler has managed to produced his most consistent body of work since...well ever really.

His voice sounds better than ever. The lyrics are thoughtful & melancholic...

I hope he gets some recognition for this album, because it really is superb.
on 27 July 2014
I am old enough to remember The Furs in the 80's, they were my first great musical love,their unique sounds made my teenage spirit dance ,awakening a love of powerful male vocals,(Richard Butler OMG)
along with the force of their original multi rhythmic sounds and imaginative lyrics, unforgettable stuff.Add to the mix a dash of LSD (youth misspent,) I never lost the memory of them,30 years later,I,m amazed the band is still gigging!and Richard Butler, (etal) has a cd out!, sooo exciting to find out he is also a fabulous serious artist first and foremost!
Its been a revelation hearing the Furs music again, thought they'd disappeared because I grew up and forgot about them!
(narcissistic teenage mindset still lingering)
Seriously, another deeply moving set of musical memories here, Richard Butlers vocals, beautiful.If he were a home he would be a stately mansion sitting amidst the english countryside and we'd be lucky sometimes we could visit it and get to look around at the posh paintings and grandness of it all then saunter off back to simpleton, etc only the memory of the poshness fading into the shadows.
But now I have the cd I get to have the hauntingly beautious ballads played over and over again ha ha ha all is right with the world again I can sway and swagger around my living room and try not to cry ,its emotional stuff and I love it!
on 18 September 2007
If I'm being honest I knew nothing about Richards Butler or The Psychedelic Furs before I bought this CD. My reason for buying it was quite simply an interview with Jon Carin, multi-instrumentalist with both Roger Waters and David Gilmour I'd read. Although billed as Richard Butlers first solo album, Jon Carin produced, recorded, edited, played all instruments and co-wrote the majority of the tracks. It is perhaps over produced giving Butlers melancholic and at times morbid lyrics perhaps too much of a warm and soft sound whereas it could have been a little harder and cutting. All the tracks are melodic and accesible and I don't think there is a weak track at all. So all-in-all a good buy!
on 5 May 2006
Like many Psychedelic Furs fans I have been waiting for this release. The CD is simply stunning. After a few listens I have been completely hooked by the music.

It is a very personal album - it is delicate, open, emotional, intimate and amazing. The more I listen to it the more I enjoy it. The lyrics seem very personal and when you listen to them you sense that Richard Butler has opened his heart and shared his feelings with the listener.

This CD has been well worth the wait and deserves to be heard by a wide audience. I urge you to buy it and enjoy it.

GB
on 24 April 2006
As a big fan of the Psychedelic Furs I was very excited by the prospect of this release, and I'm gratified to say I haven't been let down. This is very much a return to form for Richard Butler - in my opinion much more focused and rounded than his Love Spit Love output.

It's not epoch-shattering stuff, certainly, but the album demonstrates Butler's ever-present readiness to experiment with his song-writing; that it works so successfully must be due in no small measure to the obvious talents of Jon Carin, who has produced and, it seems, provided all the instrumentation on the album.

The whole album is truly excellent, but for me the highlight is "Nothing's Wrong"; with its ambiguous lyric and quirky yet pleasing sound, it is stamped with all that makes Butler's song-writing great. All in all, this is an extremely welcome return for an always interesting song-writing talent, and I can only hope that we hear much, much more from Butler and Carin.
on 20 August 2006
5 stars is probably not enough... I was expecting wall of sound but got windows instead, you can hear the page it's written on. It sounds like it was fun to make, there's backward drums and some Robert Fripp guitar in there somewhere. Lyrically it's sharp as ever, outward-looking with hints at serious world events - global warming/middle east/the trouble with planes, but self-reflective in true Furs/Love Spit Love style too. Art of our time.
on 12 July 2008
Well,I'm proud to say I've been there from the Furs' eponymous debut of 1980,and from that to this,Mr Butler continues to produce fascinating music (although I have to admit 'Love Spit Love' were a disappointment).
This is a beautiful,mellow,almost ambient collection that proves that even in his fifties this guy can cut it with the best.The opening track "Good Days Bad Days" is the standout amongst many other gems and there are several times where Butler's higher range sounds uncannily like Damon Albarn.
If you are a Furs fan and in two minds about buying this you must not let it disappear under your radar-we all know what the Furs were,time to open up to something different and immerse yourself in this.More needed Mr Butler!
on 24 October 2014
a perfect album, beautiful....
on 28 June 2006
Initially, I did not rate this, but the more I listen, The more I like it. Try it, if like me you don't rate it on 1st, 2nd, and possibly 3rd listening, persevere, it's really does grow on you. Okay, it's not the typical Furs 'thrash' but it is good.