Format: DVD|Change

on 14 June 2017
One of, if not the best series about Queen Elizabeth 1, Glenda Jackson is at her best in this for me this is her crowning moment.
on 28 May 2017
fab good
on 28 May 2017
Good
on 8 April 2006
This long awaited series is now finally on dvd.It has been available in the U.S for some years.The story about Englands greatest Queen was only available in the U.S region 1.Strange!But...the waiting is over!I am from Holland and a Tudor fan for more than 20 years,and I must admit it:This series is problably the finest ever made concerning English history.Glenda Jackson plays the role of her life.Magnificent is the only word for it.The costumes are great.Someone has looked carefully too the portraits of Gloriana(the Armada Portrait for example,just look at the embroideries,also the Pelican portrait)Leicester looks alike,the Earl of Essex shows much resemblance too the portrait.The person who arranged this all did his homework.The acting is of the most superb level.When you are in to Tudor History you know who is entering the room immediately!The authenticity in such series is very important.That is why the music should be played by early music experts.When I saw the first part I said to myself:The music sounds very authentic......1971...David Munrow!And was I right!Absolutely wonderfull!Look at the gailliard dances!I am an expert on this subject and have seen no mistakes concerning the historical facts.The way she dies,the Armada attack in 1588,the fact that Mary's head is only severed after 3 blows,the wig and the dog hiding.Perfect detail!Also the quality of the remastering is great!The image is as it was when it was made without loss.So Tudor fans worldwide:this is THE series about Gloriana,buy it and enjoy!Endlessly!
11 Comment| 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 February 2017
Glenda superb but the old studio set shows its limits generations on. And the many, many old men just get older and older which defies the reality of Burghley, for example, serving James 1 for a decade.
on 25 January 2017
Typical 70's poor filming, costumes very good, got a bit bored with film. Prompt postage from seller.
on 20 January 2017
The version of Elizabeth 1 story was a series in the 70s and very great production
on 25 March 2017
Very pleased with my purchase.
on 11 April 2017
Good
on 17 November 2006
This series has been an all time favourite of mine. In fact, such a favourite it is, that I wore out two copies each of the three VHS videos that this series was previously only available on in this country.

Naturally, wanting this series in an immaculate Digital version (DVD), I was incredibly angry to find that it was available to America and Canada (NTSC), but not here in PAL! And as far as I could tell, never was. I spent a few years constantly harrassing the BBC over this matter, emailing them regularly to express my disappointment and asking every time when it was going to be released.

Whilst I wouldn't presume to take any kind of credit now that we have at last got our PAL edition, I like to think my moaning didn't go ignored.

So, do we have what the Americans and Canadians had all these years? No, we don't. This edition is totally devoid of any special features. I do know the NTSC version as was did have them, so why not us too? Again, we are short changed.

Despite this slight let down, I am still more than happy to have such a glorious series, with the superlative acting of Glenda Jackson featured large. (Why on earth such a consumate actress would give up the profession to go into parlaiment, I have no idea.)

Whilst this series is well known for it's historical accuracy, it is still innacurate in various ways (for obvious reasons of script and time contstraints). So don't expect to get a true history lesson from this series. That said, it is the surest telling of the events of her (Elizabeth I) reign, and in the most gripping fashion.

Glenda Jackson's performance outstips any previous or subsequent depiction of Elizabeth I (including that of Cate Blanchett), so buy this series and be utterly entranced by the vision you will see. The lack of special features notwithstanding, this series still merits a full five stars.