Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon 4 June 2003
With the diminishment in the popularity of the Astaire-Rogers musicals in the late 1930s, RKO had to reinvent the formula. Fred made 'A Damsel in Distress' and Ginger made two straight scting films between 'Carefree' and its precedent, and the Rogers films were the more popular. Therefore, Ginger was given a stronger acting role in their next film together, with Astaire playing the smaller role of a psychiatrist. The result is splendid. It's a shame that the number 'I used to be Colour Blind' was not filmed in colour as originally intended, but it is nonetheless breathtaking. 'The Yam' is typically spirited, but the real joy of this film is the melancholically romantic 'Change Partners', one of Irving Berlin's best songs. Romance, comedy worthy of Katherine Hepburn, and dancing are combined to make the last great teaming of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.
on 28 May 2017
gift
on 26 June 2002
CAREFREE differs from the style of the famous dancing duo's (Astaire and Rogers) previous films in many ways. Firstly, it is more of a screwball comedy than a musical with only 4 musical numbers. It has a very straight forward story line than they're other films and also Ginger becomes the lead in the film instead of Fred. What the film lacks in musical numbers is replaced by comedy and is probably the funniest of the duo's films. However, the two superb numbers "I used to be colour blind" and "The Yam" really make this another dazzling Astaire-Rogers film.
on 12 June 2006
Look at Amazon's description of the whole movie, I'm going to write about my favourite scenes!

My favourite scene in this movie is the 'golf ball dancing sequence!'

The track is called 'Loch Lomond Swing' - Chapter 5.

I've got this movie as part of The Fred And Ginger collection - volume 1.

About a year ago, my dad told me about this golf ball dancing sequence he'd seen several years ago, probably in 1987 when Fred Astaire died.

My dad really wanted to see this one sequence again, and I was interested to see it too!

I remember believing I'd found it when I first purchase 'Holiday Inn' which had the sequence called 'Puttin on the Ritz' in the special features section, it's on the film called 'Blue Skies' which is a region 1 film, my dvd player is multi-region so I'm able to play it!

This sequence has Fred using a walking stick as a golf club and hitting imaginary golf balls! I was disappointed when I'd gotten dad and mum to sit down and watch this finding out it wasn't the sequence dad was looking for but he enjoyed the 'Puttin on the Ritz' sequence anyway!

One evening I was trying to find out on the internet which film had this golf ball dancing sequence. Eventually I went onto Google and typed in something like 'Fred Astaire - golf ball dancing' and found it was on the film 'Carefree!' Which I was sure I'd already got!

And found this film on my Fred and Ginger collection!

I found the sequence, I was practically crying because I knew this must be what my dad was looking for!

This time I told dad I've found the sequence, last time I didn't tell him, I just got dad and mum to sit down to surprise them thinking Puttin on the Ritz was the right one!

Dad was thrilled to see this sequence again, and we watched it together twice! I had already watched a few times the night before, but I'm still obsessed with this one sequence alone!

Since this wonderful moment other friends have had the pleasure of seeing this sequence and there's more friends my dad wishes to watch it with in the future!

There's also a song called 'The Yam', Ginger Rogers starts singing it then Fred Astaire joins in, then the real dancing begins!

The best part of that song is near the end when Fred puts his leg on each table while Ginger jumps over it spinning round each other is continuous circles without stopping eight times! My dad watched this sequence recently about a week or two ago! He liked the dancing sequence but not so much the song, but I like both the song and the dancing!

I haven't watched the whole film all the way through yet, so this is only about my favourite parts.

I hope this review is helpful to you.

Happy watchings!
on 13 January 2003
This is my favorite Fred and Ginger entry and is actually quite different than their standard if entertaining musical/dance films that preceded it. Those great elements are still here but are fewer and interspersed between some nice screwball comedy that finally got to showcase Ginger's comedic talents. Fred is great to, but this one is really Ginger's film, and she shines.
Tony (Fred) is a psychiatrist trying to do his pal Stephen (Ralph Bellamy) a favor by seeing his fiance Amanda (Rogers, who is a radio singer) so he can figure out why she's called off their wedding three times! She blows Fred off as a quack when she overhears a transcription he's done which is less than flattering but finally gives in and agrees to let Fred disect her dreams so he can see what's wrong with her.
A meal of lobster and mayonaise and a lot of other things make her dream alright! In her dream she's dancing and in love, but it's not Stephen but Tony in her dream! Amanda can't tell Tony of course, and when he threatens to stop seeing her she makes up a dream that would keep ten psychiatrists busy and the fun begins.
Rogers was wonderful in this film and it was the impetus for her very successful solo career. This light screwball comedy has some terrific moments. It's hilarious as Ginger walks out while being hypnotized thinking she does love Bellamy and going after Fred with a shotgun, thinking he deserves to die like a dog! Like Fred tells Bellamy as they run after her, "She's in a trance, she may even act, a little odd!"
During the dream sequence they get to dance to "I Used to be Color-Blind" and later on at a party they do "The Yam" in a very fun scene. But Ginger and the screwball comedy take top billing in this one, making it one of their best. It's sophisticated and funny and Fred and Ginger end up together as always. This time she's in a gorgeous wedding dress, and she has a black eye!
You don't hear as much about this one but don't let that stop you from picking up this wonderful film.
on 24 November 2009
Astaire and Rogers' last RKO picture aspired to be something of a cross between their established 'rom-dance' format and a screwball comedy. As a hybrid it's a little uneven; some of this is down to the rather flat direction by Mark Sandrich, but Irving Berlin's score fails to lift the proceedings with its usual aplomb, even though it contains two of his most famous songs, 'I Used to be Colour Blind' and 'Change Partners'. Both stars get a solo spot, and both spots flag in comparison to their joint sequences: Ginger's number is 'The Yam', a silly attempt to introduce a silly new dance named after the sweet potato of the same name. Fred's 'golf routine' lacks sparkle, even though esteemed choreographer Hermes Pan may have had a hand in it. That all said, 'Carefree' provides 90minutes of very enjoyable viewing.
However, mention should be made of the fact that this Region 2 PAL format version `Carefree' does not seem sourced directly from an original print or negative of the film, but looks like it's been transferred from a 525-lines NTSC (US) -standard intermediate video master, which means that picture and sound quality are noticeably downgraded; the same fate seems to have befallen my Universal Region 2 issue of Fred and Ginger's previous RKO outing 'Follow the Fleet'. Universal DVD ought to be ashamed of itself for presenting such classic cinema in such an inferior form. For this reason alone I deduct one star from my Amazon rating.
There's no technical reason to issue old movies in this way, except to save the expense of re-scanning the film for the 625-line PAL standard, and then applying the standard restorative processes. Ironically, the DVD's production team accords itself onscreen credits at the end of the film, including namechecks for the two companies that provided restoration and audio processing services.
on 26 December 2006
Look at Amazon's description of the whole movie and the other reviewers, I'm going to write about my favourite scenes!

My favourite scene in this movie is the 'golf ball dancing sequence!'

The track is called 'Loch Lomond Swing' - Chapter 5.

I've got this movie as part of The Fred And Ginger collection - volume 1.

And found this film on my Fred and Ginger collection!

I hope this review is helpful to you.

Happy watchings!
on 29 September 2011
Filmed in 1936,'Carefree' starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers,and with a musical score by the great Irving Berlin,this is truly an outstanding film!! I you're looking for a violent,brutal movie,do not even think of buying this DVD. On the other hand,if you're looking for a film which will cheer you up,and leave you feeling happy and contented, then this DVD is a must!! The charisma between Astaire and Rogers is tangible;Filmed in 1936,Both performers at their very peak;when they start dancing together,it is sheer magic!! And the Berlin songs will be etched on your mind:'Change Partners';'I used to be colour blind' et al. I can see why Frank Sinatra felt he had to record the first,and why Ella Fitzgerald felt the same about 'Colour Blind'. Go on,spoil yourself,buy this DVD and let the world go to pot...
on 8 May 2013
not often seen .but has some interesting routines, no astaire and rodgers collection should be without it but it may make a few golfers jealous.
on 4 April 2013
Nice quality, I got this to watch while I was feeling poorly. Well worth the money. Ginger especially - awesome acting and dancing performance.