Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 July 2005
This debut from Beulah is simply amazing! Her voice is so sweet and unique and it gives me goosebumps! You can really feel the emotion! Her songs to me really paint a picture of love, loss and childhood and I can honestly say that her songs touch me. I buy lots of music, mainly in the female singer/songwriter folky pop category but am not often moved enough to write a 5 star review. This is a gorgeous CD which deserves to be heard by anybody who simply loves and appreciates great music.
on 23 June 2005
In the current musical environment there are fewer and fewer credible artists who not only write their own songs, but also sing them well. Beulah defies this trend with her debut album "Mabel And I". Her lyrics are conscientious and heart-felt, her voice delicate and melodious, and the harmonies she includes in such tracks as "I Can't Wait" and "Leaving Home" are touchingly subtle and almost haunting. The songs are taken from her own life experiences growing up in the Peak District, and the maturity of her writing, considering that she is only 24 years old, is truly remarkable. Much of her music has a hint of folk music about it and yet there is so much variety in this album which showcases her genuine musical talent. The soulful "Nevermore" is preceded by the upbeat and catchy "Sweet Kinda' Something", showing that Beulah's talent does not simply rest with ballads, but extends to more rhythmic-based songs as well. Nevertheless, it is undeniable that the more emotional, sparsely accompanied songs are the most affecting, and where the uniqueness and purity of Beulah's sensational voice are most discernable. Every song has something different to offer, something different to relate to, and this album is surely destined for great success. Heralded as the new Norah Jones, the fact that this is Beulah's debut album means there are very exciting times ahead.
on 12 September 2005
Twice now this year I've been left astounded and in awe at the phenomenal talent in a young female singer/songwriter, both British. First it was Lucie Silvas and now Beulah. In both cases hearing one song was enough to recognise their ability and inspire the purchase of the album. Mabel & I is a sublime but multi layered recording whose many depths are revealed with repeated listening. Like Lucie before, it's so engaging that you don't want to listen to anything else. Beulah exudes a vulnerability and fragility in her voice; laden with melancholy emotion she conveys deep sorrow of losing loved ones, the break up of a relationship from both sides and tempers the tone by the optimism of the joy of new found love. There's an incredible maturity to her lyrics, much like Lucie's, that should come from someone much older and world weary who has understanding of the sentiments from personal experience. Whereas Lucie appears to somehow be singing about me, Beulah is singing about her self. These are incredibly personal and haunting lyrics and melodies that are best shared alone. If Nevermore doesn't bring a tear to your eye or a lump to your throat when you read the lyrics whilst listening to the song for the first time, your heart must be made of stone. As a 40 year old man I can't personally relate to some of the songs but they are so beautifully written and sung they capture your sympathy and the insight makes you more understanding and wiser for the experience.
on 22 June 2005
I can say that I was more than pleasantly surprised after listening to this debut album by Beulah.
As I had heard near to nothing about her I had no real expectations of how the CD might sound however, after only a few plays of 'Mabel and I', I was hooked.
Not normally my kind of thing but it's extremely difficult to dislike her soothing vocals.
Tracks such as 'Leaving Home' and my personal favourite 'Lazy Days' are relaxing and comforting.
The upbeat 'Sweet Kinda' Something' makes it hard to believe that this wonderful singer / songwriter is only 24 !!
This is a must have album and no doubt Beulah is destined for big things.
I can't wait for a follow up !!!
on 2 April 2006
WOW ! You must get this album. I ordered this album about a month ago, it's not left my CD player since! I saw her at Bush Hall in March, and boy, can she sing! She has such a beautiful voice, and is a fantastic pianist. It's nice to know she writes her records from the heart, and you can tell that when she sings them, oh, and she's absolutely gorgeous aswell!
on 4 February 2006
What an awesome album. A fantastic captivating collection of songs and brilliant debut from the English singer/songwriter. She has a beautiful voice and the ballads on this album will strike a chord in most people's hearts particularly "Never More", "Miss Me No More" and the amazing "You're Gone".
The best thing to say is just "BUY IT", you won't be disappointed.
on 7 November 2005
A superb debut album from a girl who can truly communicate. I heard her sing on a Sunday morning on Radio 2 (Never More) just with her playing piano. I was incredibly moved so immediately bought the album. My only dissappointment is that she has not yet found the backing and production team to enhance what she does.
The song was better with just Beulah on the piano than on the album! I would love to see what Sarah Mclachlan's producer (Pierre Marchand) would do. Or look at the sound Dido's brother creates. It is fine to hail her as the English Norah Jones but let's give her that quality of backing musicians and production and we will see a number one album. Otherwise it will miss the boat. As long as she continues to write so exclusively from her experience I think it will somehow miss the universal appeal of artists who find a voice for all of us. I still love the album, though much of it is so touching it brings you to tears, so the balance needs to be redressed occasionally by something where she sings her socks off! But the missing fifth star is for the production and backing. Ms. Garside gets 5 stars and I hope she will be around for a long time to come and continue to move us.
on 6 October 2005
Every now and again you hear an album which you just want to keep on playing.This is one of those albums.Superb songs written and performed by a new, very talented artist.I really hope that Beulah has success with this truly brilliant album. Now,if only she had Mike Batt backing her........!!!
on 16 December 2005
Sometimes I think it woud be nice to buy an album on which I like every song. And then...sometimes I find an album such as this, where I do indeed like every song. More than 'like', in fact - I love every song on this album. Simple, unpretentious, sung with one of the sweetest voices ever recorded, the 12 songs on "Mabel And I" never become stale. In fact, the songs improve on each listen, and it is so refreshing to hear so many decent melodies - and to hear them sung buy a amazing voice. Beulah is infinitely preferable to Dido, and songs such as "You're Gone", "Broken Seams" and "Nevermore" are simply...beautiful. This is an album I guarantee you will not regret buying.
on 29 March 2006
I heard to Beulah by radio about 7 months ago and I really thought that she had one of the most marvellous voices of the new woman singer generation. When I bought the cd, I could confirm it. Highly recommended.