on 12 March 2013
I have had this pan for about 4 years now. It heats up evenly and as one would expect retains heats well as well. Therefore its nice for frying steaks or things such as such. However, there are a few problems with this pan. The handle is keep coming off loose, no matter how many times I have taken it off and reassemble it becomes loose which is very annoying. The handle is also limits the effectiveness of placing your seared ingredient into the oven because you cant go above 180 c before it melts. Finally, its the non-stick quality of the surface. since it is treated, it never can be seasoned properly. I have tried numerous times using every method for seasoning and it has never been that effective ( seasoning improves the surface, but not to the extent of a non stick). I have now bought a copper pan with stainless steel interior and its much much better compare to this pan. My cooking has dramatically improved using the new pan. I dont really see a point spending that much money on this cast iron pan, If cast iron is what you are after, get something like Lodge, with cast iron handle and something which you know you have the control over seasoning.
on 28 January 2014
This pan looks the business but is almost dangerously heavy and cooked food sticks like a limpet making it impossible to remove. I am not overheating it (as suggested by Le Creuset customer service), and I am cleaning it correctly. Don't consider Le Creuset unless you have superhuman strength and are willing to eat your food out of the pan!
on 5 June 2012
Do not expect your eggs to slide around the pan from day one.

As the previous reviewer noted , the non-stick needs to "evolve" through seasoning.

The patina does develop. It seems odd to allow to allow this to acumulate. Instinct says, that the non-stick pan should release all food.

It does work.....eventually. Patience is needed.

The heat distribution is markedly efficient. I am sure it will prove its worth. Otherwise, it's back to Le Creuset. The guarantee is a comfort.
on 28 September 2014
Absolutely dreadful. I have had 3 replacement handles for this item all of which have split making it unserviceable. While the pan will last forever it isnt much use if the handle last a few months! I would arecommend gainst purchasing this item
on 10 June 2009
Brilliant pan with excellent results every time whatever you fry! It's perfect for eggs as everything slides smoothly on it. Nothing sticks to it. Yes, it's heavy but it just how it is supposed to be. Irreplaceable for frying meat as it gets very hot and keeps the temperature so adding meat to the pan doesn't lower it drastically. Best pan I have ever owned and it has been quite a few so far.
on 24 September 2012
I've read just about all there is to read about Le Creuset's black satin finish and adopted all recommendations. Everything sticks. I bought this as a replacement because I thought I had heat damaged my previous one. It turns out I hadn't - sticking to everything is it's natural condition. I shall use it infrequently. I've read an awful lot about the product but cannot remedy this problem. If anyone successfully enlightens me, I will withdraw this review. It's a shame because I am a Le Creuset person and have lots of their high quality stuff. I've got the cast iron wok on my wish list, but now I'm not so sure.
Incidentally - this was delivered by the notoriously inefficient Yodel. I won't bore you with the details but everything did not go smoothly (as usual)

Update 14/11/12 - Fed up so went and bought myself a good old fashioned cast iron pan and successfully conditioned it to be non-stick - works like a dream. Those sceptics who accuse me of not knowing about seasoning a pan, please note.
review image
on 28 September 2010
After reading some negative reviews about this pan i had my doubts, but based on other Le Creuset pans and dishes i have - i ordered one anyway. I had read problems with the pan sticking to foods but feel this because of use at too-high temperatures. These pans do require a bit more care e.g heat them up slowly and maintain the heat on a lower heat setting, this way they shouldn't stick. Some other reviews i saw said the black enamel was coming away, again this might be because of too-high heat settings and/or aggressive dishwasher detergent? I keep mine away from the dishwasher and don't go beyong medium heat settings which will sear and caramelise perfectly, if you can be patient and give the pan time to heat-up.
on 3 December 2010
I love this pan - it's big enough to cook things like pasta sauces in so you don't just need to use for sausages and steaks etc.
However, you need to cook with patience - let the pan heat up gently before you fill it and cook on a lower heat than usual. The results will be worth it.
on 30 May 2014
I've owned this pan for a year now and I remain disappointed. I own other Le Creuset products with an enamel finish and I love them all to pieces, but this frying pan has seriously let me down.

In spite of using this pain for other tasks for over a year, I remain unable to fry an egg in it without scrambling it, no matter how carefully I build the heat, no matter how much or how little oil is applied. I'm not a professional cook, but I'm the main cook for our house and I'm far from a slouch in the kitchen. Those of you who scoff "you just aren't doing it right", are welcome to buy this pan from me as I'm sick of the sight of it.

I wouldn't recommend this frying pan to anyone, I consider it a kind of kitchen-folly that's nice to look at but ultimately a waste of money. I will be buying something else shortly and suggest you do the same.

Shame.
on 26 September 2013
I simply LOVE this pan (if one can 'love' a pan?!) - it screams quality when you lift it out of the box, just prepare yourself for the weight of the thing! It looks beautiful and cooking with it is a dream. The coating does scratch easily when using metal utensils so if you're like me and can't abide plastic ones, just get used to the idea that it won't look perfect forever!