Format: DVD|Change

on 23 February 2007
As a big fan of CSI and medical dramas like Grey's Anatomy, I could hardly wait to buy House on DVD, and I wasn't disappointed. Like so many other shows, House works brilliantly when watched in chunks - 2 or 3 episodes at a time! I lost a lot of sleep watching the series 1 through the first time, and when I finished, I simply threw the first disc back in the player and started again from the beginning.

I remember Hugh Laurie from the Fry and Laurie days of long ago, as well as Blackadder, Jeeves and Wooster, and so on, and have always been a fan. But I was still amazed by the quality of his acting on this show. His American accent is so realistic, you forget he is English (in fact I almost got a shock listening to his English accent on the bonus features), and his comic timing makes the best of a witty and clever script. His banter with Dr Cuddy (Lisa Edelstein) is really enjoyable, as is his relationship with the doctors on his team, although honestly, I don't think they can hold a candle to Laurie in terms of ability or on-screen charisma.

Personally, I like the formulaic nature of each episode, as the characters, the humour and the tremendous variety of sometimes bizarre medical problems stop it getting boring. However, my favorite episode of season 1 was the one that broke the formula by following three cases at once. In this penultimate episode of the series we get a deeper insight into House's character, his past and his leg injury, which stirs up more sympathy for his character, as well as giving Laurie an opportunity to demonstrate some really fine acting.

I recently introduced the series to a friend of mine who is a critical care nurse and she loved it! I'm just about to buy series 2!
on 21 April 2017
My daughter recommended this to me. Although I enjoy this, its disappointing that there are no subtitles. I often don't catch the sarcasm with Dr House. Sometimes I don't get american humour but the parts I can hear, are really good.
on 17 June 2017
After being housebound, and completely exhausting Netflix, and Prime, I turned to an old favourite. So glad I did. It's easy to forget how great this was, and is.
on 5 September 2016
As a surgeon I found the medical references unconvincing and irritating. But I love laurie's acting which is why I watched it.
on 8 April 2017
Something from the past, good viewing second time around.
on 2 June 2017
Had to give up as they mumble throughout so miss a lot of the story
on 7 March 2017
What a great complex character wonderfully portrayed
on 7 March 2017
Can't wait to purchase following series.
on 6 June 2017