Customer reviews

Inside In/Inside Out
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 26 April 2017
Kooks greatest hits, what is not to like
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 April 2015
The Kooks were a big part of my middle secondary school years. I listened to their first album 'Inside In/Inside Out' constantly, and it's still being played today. If indie music is you're thing, you will not be disappointed by this cracking debut, which is now almost ten years old.

Although the band have since released three more albums (the most recent, Listen in 2014), you could mistake this now classic release for a greatest hits album, as it spawned six top 40 UK hit singles: 'Eddie's Gun', 'Sofa Song', 'You Don't Love Me', 'Naïve' (top ten), 'She Moves in her Own Way' (second top ten), and 'Ooh La'. Things open up with the Coldplay like acoustic 'Seaside' which, along with the humorous 'Jackie Big Tits', provide the album-only highlights.

Luke Pritchard is an excellent vocalist, and 'Inside In/Inside Out' is packed from top to bottom with simple yet smart, highly sing-able songs. I will always have a soft spot for this album, not just for the memories, but because it's just good fun and catchy music. Music lovers at the time fell in love with this talented young indie-pop band, who knew how to write and perform tunes with high energy and beautiful melodies. Their second album Konk is also well worth seeking out. British music really is so often wonderful!
on 8 May 2017
The one star is not because I don't like the Kooks (I love the Kooks!) but the CD arrived with the whole front cover of the cd shattered!
on 18 October 2006
This CD includes songs taken from two live acoustic shows (one at Abbey Road and one in Osaka, Japan).

I am a massive Kooks fan and it was great to listen to the songs from their album "Inside In Inside Out" acoustically, recorded live.

The above amazon track listing is not correct, but the CD does feature most of the songs listed, plus a brilliant version of "California".

There is even a bit of commentary between songs from Luke Pritchard, as he talks to the audience.
on 4 February 2006
Right, so you're being hit over the head by the ever growing hype of the cool Arctic Monkeys and then another one of those "The ..." bands comes along and you think, 'not again'. And that's where you've made your mistake, because The Kooks are not just another one of THOSE bands. They are so much more.
On the off chance I listened to my friends copy of this album and heard Seaside and that pretty much sold the band to me. I discovered the joy of living in a coastal town during university (sunny Bournemouth if you're wondering) and something so simple as track one, where lead singer Pritchard invites the listener "Do you want to go to the seaside?", connected with me on such a simple yet emotional level that I haven't experienced since Counting Crows' debut album.
Any way, that is just 1 minute and 40 seconds long and is different to everything that follows. The next 13 tracks contain addictive riffs, very passionate vocals and a sound that stands out from anything out there at the moment. The lyrics can certainly be improved upon, and it does not provide as much variety as such stellar debuts as Definitely Maybe or Parachutes (yes, it's this good that I will even dare compare it to those masterpieces). But in Ooh La, She Moves In Her Own Way, Naive, Jackie Big Tits and Time Awaits (they wa it opens and ends sounds like two drastically different songs; amazing!) you have enough singles here to make other bands blush. As a result I booked tickets to see them at the Astoria, bought two copies of the album (well my girlfriend can't seriously be borrowing mine now can she?!) and will be telling every mate of mine to listen to them.
VINE VOICEon 24 August 2007
I couldn't disagree more with the opinion that this album only has one good track on it. It's not a classic album - not by a long shot - but it's a decent debut with some pretty catchy songs. My favourites are 'Seaside', 'Ooh La' and the two biggest singles 'You Don't Love Me' and 'She Moves in her Own Way'. But there are some other good songs on there too (and yeah, a couple that aren't quite so great)...

I guess it depends on the expectations you bring to an album like this. With the last couple of years in British music being, in my opinion, pretty dire, this was a nice surprise for me. A bit raw around the edges perhaps, but well put together, decent song writing, and some impressive musicianship (I saw a live acoustic version of 'Ooh La' on what I think was the Glastonbury coverage last year, and the guitar playing on that was fantastic - that's what convinced me to buy the cd).

Good to sing along to. Enjoyable. Puts a bit of faith back in the British music scene. You can't ask for an awful lot more than that can you?
on 26 October 2010
One of their best albums, if not the best, with a lot of their recognizable songs. A must buy!
on 11 March 2006
This album is amazing, forget the Artic Monkeys, Hard Fi's, Franz Ferdinands etc because the Kooks blow them all away with this stunning debut album.
The album is so varied with standout tracks "She Moves In Her Own Way", "Sofa Song","Eddie's Gun" and "Ooh La".
If you're a fan of Indie/Rock - The Kooks will be at T In the Park, Isle Wight, and Oxygen festivals this summer.
Finally if you've never heard of the Kooks they are releasing "Naive" on March 27th 2006.
Kooks Fans - lets hope it hits number 1!!!!!!!
on 1 June 2006
I'm not going to come on here and write a load of stuff thinking I'm some great music critic. Straight up, this is one of the best albums I've heard in my 23 years on this planet. It's not a grower, it's bang on the money from the first time you hear it. I'm going to see them in October and I can't wait. Naive is not the best song on the album, far from it. Buy it, I promise it will be the smartest money you'll ever spend. The first song is soooooo good. One last comment, 5 stars are not enough.
on 15 March 2006
This album is bursting with energy. It takes the excited, almost child-like glee and presence of pop-rock with the sound of great indie. What you get is music that sound great, even on repeat, and a band that is also highly likeable. They sound like the kind of people you would want to meet in a pub and have a light-hearted chat with. This album features some great songs ("Sofa Song" stands out, as well as "Eddie's Gun") and I would recommend it to anyone. It seems suitable for any mood or occasion. With that glowing praise I still can't give it 5 stars as that 5th star is reserved for albums of legendary status. This album is very good, buy it now and let it all go.