Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 February 2006
I have an on-off love affair with the great Dolly Parton. I think the woman is a very talented songwriter, and she can act in films as good as some professional actresses can. I very much respect her legendary status, longevity, and everything she has achieved through her own amble talents., Unfortunately, her childlike voice when singing on a record, can grade on me after a while, and some of most popular hits, aren't my cup of tea (give me the overlooked gem 'Down from Dover' over that 'Jolene' any day).

Her latest musicial venture. 'Those Were The Days', is an album made up entirely of covers of some excellent 1960s - 70s folk songs. After a few spins, I can say that this is actually pretty good. This release came to my attention when I heard that Dolly was joined by most of the original artists of these hits, including Cat Stevens, Mary Hopkins, and newer talents such as Keith Urban and Norah Jones, so you can imagine my surprise then when I played the CD only to find that you can hardly hear them, despite being clearly listed on the cover.

If you love most or just lots of Dolly's music, then you'll obviously enjoy 'Those Were The Days' more than me, but I do think she does fine interpretations of Bob Dylan's 'Blowin' in the Wind', 'Where Have All The Flowers Gone' (which is especially quite beautiful), Cat Stevens' 'Where Do The Children Play', and the stand out track, a respectable reading of 'The Cruel War'.

Dolly gives all these standards her recent trademark bluegrass style, and she clearly hasn't lost her sweet voice that has made her so popular. I'll always prefer her as an actress I guess, but 'Those Were The Days' isn't a bad listen at all. For avid fans of Parton, ''60s/'70s folk, and those who are curious.
on 11 February 2006
I bought it on its first release - absolute rubbish and a great disappointment after several great releases from Dolly. Filled with third rate covers. Poor
on 11 April 2007
This CD is a lovely album from the Queen Of Country Dolly Parton. It is a bit different from the usual Country stuff but it makes a lovely change and it is lovely to hear Dolly's 'Countrified' versions of these classic pop songs! I was a little worried I might not like it at first but as soon as it arrived and I heard it for the first time I loved it. Dolly is one of my all time favourite Country superstars and here she is singing many of my all time favourite songs in her own Country style. And the original artists joining her on many tracks is a nice touch.
on 21 October 2011
Brilliant content on this Cd. Item was delivered well with the timeframe window and in excellent condition. I would reccommend this product.
on 10 November 2014