Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 26 February 2006
Thought the film was awesome - brilliant portrayal of a troubled genius from Joaquin Phoenix. Along with Reese Witherspoon (a compelling performance as June Carter), the pair's renditions of the classic Cash songs can't be flawed.
Phoenix's voice is eerily reminiscent of Cash's - so much so that it's hard to tell where acting ends and impersonation begins. Witherspoon's voice is vibrant, tuneful, and, again, near enough spot-on.
The film's concert scenes are excellent - the energy of Phoenix/Cash on stage lends a whole new dimension to the music. The soundtrack doesn't let down at all. It could be said that you're better off buying 'At Folsom Prison' or similar - something actually by Cash himself - but I think it's worth the money to hear the remarkable tribute.
The CD itself is five star material. It's what's NOT on the CD which loses it marks. The duet between Phoenix and Witherspoon of "Times a Wastin'" is pretty much the central performance of the film. And yet it's omitted from this soundtrack. After a little research I've found out that the Cash family don't own the rights to the song, which is all well and good, but surely some kind of compromise could have been made?
BIG let down not to have that track - really was a highlight of the film - but the CD is quality music that deserves to be bought.
on 29 October 2017
bought to replace lost original. love it!
on 16 June 2017
Fantastic cd even better than original singers
on 14 August 2014
Love the film...love the soundtrack : ) highly recommend if you love the film
on 29 April 2017
love it! love it thanks
on 27 April 2006
Before I start I have to remind everyone that this is Reese Witherspoon and Joaquin Phoenix. They are not trying to be June Carter Cash or Johnny Cash, they are simply telling one of the most wonderful stories in music history.

Before I saw this film I had no idea who Johnny Cash was(I am only 23) and I had absolutely no interest in country music but after seeing the film I was hooked on the music in it.

I came straight onto Amazon and purchased the soundtrack, and I haven't stopped listening to it yet.

Reese and Joaquin's voices blend beautifully together and "It ain't me babe", is simply stunning! This is rock and roll and country music at its best(well obviously apart from the real legends themselves). This album has also made me a Johnny Cash fan and I have bought two of his albums. The music is even more appealing when you know the story behind it.
VINE VOICEon 28 January 2006
I picked this CD up in the US a couple of weeks ago and have to say that whilst it's not Cash himself singing, the stars of the movie (Reese Witherspoon and Joaquin Phoenix) do a fine job in re-interpreting some of Cash's better-known songs. The Cash back catalogue is so huge that it is difficult to know where to start - if you see the movie without knowing much about Cash, this CD is a good place to start before then venturing further into the great man's extensive recordings. However, if you're already a Cash fan and familiar with his music, then perhaps this CD doesn't really serve much purpose, completeness aside.
on 28 September 2015
I must state that I have yet to see the film, so I can only judge these recordings on what I hear on this CD. Firstly I am stunned by the similarity between Joaquim Phoenix and the legend that was Johnny Cash. Not only does he sound like JC, he somehow manages to create the same feel that transcends the music of Johnny Cash.

Listening to tracks like `I Walk The Line`, `Ring Of Fire` and `Cry Cry Cry`, then playing the originals, there is hardly any difference. I reckon he is 95% there. I wonder what he sounds like without playing Johnny Cash?

Renee Witherspoon, however, does not quite hit the mark for me. Whilst her voice is good, the false accent rather puts me off, and she does not have the vocal strength of June Carter. Personally,I was never a great fan of June Carter, even before she married Johnny Cash, I much preferred her sister, Carlene. Tyler Hilton is way off the mark as an Elvis impersonator, as is Jonathan Rice as Roy Orbison. Waylon Malloy Payne is a fair Jerry Lee Lewis.

Joaquim Phoenix is however, a revelation and the CD is worth 5 stars for him alone.
VINE VOICEon 21 June 2006
In short I was amazed both by the film and the soundtrack.

Jauquin & Reese gave it there all and boy did it show. They brought this to whole new generation & yes I had heard a little of Johnny Cash before but not in this way! NO imitation here the actors transformed and made it something more...

The songs are all amazing, perfectly crafted and they both deserved an oscar for giving us this an excellent soundtrack its well worth the buy. Highly recommend 10/10
VINE VOICEon 13 March 2006
This is a excellent soundtrack to accompany the movie "Walk the Line", a biopic of the life and music of Johnny Cash.
Leading the songs on the album are Joaquin Phoenix who plays the part of Johnny Cash and Oscar Award Winning Reese Witherspoon who plays Cash's second wife June Carter. It also features songs by american superstar Tyler Hilton (Elvis Presley), Waylon Malloy Payne (Jerry Lee Lewis) and Johnathan Rice (Roy Orbison).
As I am not a fan of the original Johnny Cash or June Carter I am slightly biased when I say that this soundtrack is better than the original material. But then again I believe this is a fair comment. The sound quality of the backing instruments is, of course, a much better standard than the original material. But what I also love is the tone and texture of the lead's vocals. Phoenix has a lovely, soulfilled voice, and has a breathtaking tone to his voice. On the track "I walk the line", Pheonix's vocals really show off as he hits really low notes. Personally for me, Pheonix sets a high standard for male singers to reach, one which alot of them fall far from in the todays world where popular music is all about falsettos and cute harmoneys.
As for Reese Witherspoon, she just shows off a brillient voice on her two track "Wildwood Flower" and "Juke-Box Blues". She's expressive, emotive and full of country soul. I think she's brillient. I also truely admire her harmonies with Pheonix on their duets, where she sings some reletivly complex harmonies.
As for the three others, again impressive performances. For me, Hilton was not a particularly good Elvis, he's a bit too weak vocally, but what he does he does well. Paynes role as Jerry Lee Lewis is brillient. He sings "Lewix Boogie" and just impersonates Lewis perfectly in the way he sings "Louisiana" and "Piano". It's excellent.
For Cash fans, this album may be a bit too disimular for their liking, but for me as a new Cash fan, I truely love this album. I would recommend it to anyone!
10 out of 10 for this soundtrack