Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New album - Matt Terry Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

Ryan's Daughter - Special Edition [DVD] [1970]
Format: DVD|Change

on 16 November 2017
I have watched this film a long time ago and wanted to watch it again a great story with great parts played by Leo McKern Robert Mitchum and Sarah Miles and a fantastic performance from Sir John Mills would advise anyone to watch this it is a great story.
on 4 September 2017
A brilliant piece of cinematography. Even it was watched at home it really felt like a special occal
on 24 September 2017
The old stories are still the best
on 10 November 2017
Very good dvd, arrived quickly.
on 20 October 2017
Fabulous
on 2 June 2017
It was purchased for a gift.
on 21 May 2017
An epic of the kind that you just don't and won't see anymore in these C.G.I. drenched times we live in. Those in search of instant gratification are likely to struggle with a film that slowly unfolds yet ultimately rewards those with a proper attention span. Great acting from Sarah Miles, Robert Mitchum, Trevor Howard, John Mills, Leo Mckern.....just about everyone really! Generally overlooked by critics, this is in retrospect one of director David Lean's greatest achievements, bold, ambitious and a visual feast that warrants re-asessment and respect. Timelessly brilliant!
on 6 August 2017
This movie still resonates, now nearly 50 years on. I was a young wife when I first went to see it with my sister-in-law and we were both entranced with its story and its stars,and also by the wonder of its most glorious scenery.
The plot is a bit of an awkward one, encompassing as it does, not only marital infidelity but some very troubled times in Ireland, and, as someone with not only a foot in each country, having an Irish father and English mother, but a (then) British soldier husband too, I found the story a bit uncomfortable from several perspectives.
Do I feel any differently now? More uncomfortable with it all probably. At the far end of my life I can now empathize more with all of the film's characters, but it is still an enthralling love story, a movie in which you can lose yourself, and one in which, at its conclusion, leaves nearly every one with their just desserts.
Would I watch it again today? Yes, yes and yes, and I am about to buy the DVD and enjoy a good wallow.
on 10 April 2016
The above title is a play on the initial exchange between: "Sarah" and "Major Doryan." It's personal - you either get it, or you don't.

I watched this film, for the first time, during the Christmas of 2008. I was having a god-awful time, and watching a slow, heavy, film like this was the last thing i needed ! I was on the verge of switching it off, and then on walked: "Major Doryan."

Watching this character was one of the defining event's of my life.
on 4 March 2017
Absolutely stunning film from David Lean,one of our finest directors.The Irish scenery and coastline is a character in itself.John Mills gives a stunning performance as simpleton Micheal.The colours just scream out at you on this dvd.Normally blu ray is my chosen format but as this doesn't yet have a UK release the dvd was the best option,and i have to say this remastered disc delivers the goods by the bucket.
A stonewall classic and a perfect film of beauty.