Customer reviews

The Alan Partridge Complete Box Set [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 27 September 2013
Absolutely brilliant, laugh a minute goodness, though my two year old daughter does say smell my cheese a little too often!

And I do advise not watching this whilst drinking hot fluids, whilst naked, with just cheese for comfort, you may find yourself stuck in a melted cheese fiasco, leaving a self tattoo matted in your chest hair, not that any of that happened to me oh know.
on 3 March 2012
i have seen all of the "I'm alan partridge" series on tv i decided to give this a purchase because i loved them and can easily watch over and over again. i was aware of the "knowing me knowing you" dvd that came with it but truly wasn't to fussed about watching it in a hurry as i thought i wouldn't be that interested in watching a chat show dvd,however i like watching things in order and knew the series where about him trying to get a second series of this show. i must say i never stopped laughing through the whole series and still have not seen the christmas special on disk 2 ! HIGHLY recommend this to not just alan partridge fans but any fan of british comedy. alan partridge is one of the best british comedy characters ever created !
VINE VOICEon 18 April 2008
Alan Partridge is a laugh-out-loud hilarious comedy character, perhaps only recently bested by David Brent.

This dvd box-set contains every episode broadcast, from Knowing Me, Knowing you (extended versions), to the Xmas special and two series of I'm Alan Partridge. Also included are Alan's Country Ramble ("Someone should clean up these leaves"), the Comic Relief segments he did, a never broadcast pilot episode, numerous adverts for Knowing Me, Knowing You ("Ignore the critics, this programme is actually quite good"), deleted and extended scenes. There's other stuff on there too and you can never have too much of the Partridge, so get this collection of one of the best comedy characters ever.

Alan started out in hospital radio and quickly moved on to BBC Radio 4, where his chat show, Knowing Me, Knowing You with Alan Partridge became a little-recognised success. After several years, he was quickly picked up and deemed suitable for television, where his particular brand of misanthropic, homophobic, sexist and xenophobic good humour fit the times, the times being the mid 1990s. His scowling, insincere, know-nothing face was first shown on The Day Today, in which he stole the programme, filling his on air sports commentary with inane drivel, mostly because he was totally ignorant about the events on which he was required to pontificate.

After being the sports anchor on one programme, he was given free reign to make his own programme (via his now bankrupt company, Pear Tree Productions). Alan did what he did best - he chats. Knowing Me, Knowing You with Alan Partridge ("get the title right!", he would insist, with his witty characteristic pedantry) became an instant cult classic (read: low audience figures), particularly popular with students. What made the show such a resounding success for one series and a Christmas special (never again to be recommissioned) still puzzles many, as does why it got made in the first place. Alan, by his own frank admission, hates people. Especially the public, but certainly people in general. With that in mind, he was given a chat show, in which he proceeded to abuse everyone with equal opportunity. Highlights include Cheeky Monkey, Pete and Bernie's Philosophical Steak House and of course, his fantastic medley of Abba classics, shouted at full volume.

After the explosive ending of Knowing Me, Knowing You with Alan Partridge and the burn-your-own-bridges finale of Knowing Me, Knowing Yule (the Christmas special, an event so bad that you would welcome back Noel Edmonds with open arms), there followed two on-the-road documentaries, I'm Alan Partridge, in which we follow Alan desperately trying to patch up his life with ridiculous television series ideas (Monkey Tennis, anyone? Youth Hostelling with Chris Eubanks?).

At this stage in Alan's career - and to call it a 'career' stretches the meaning of the word - Alan does a graveyard local radio broadcast (Up with the Partridge) in which even the two minute handover to the next DJ reduces to the level of thinly veiled personal insults. Domestically, Alan lives in a Travel-Tavern, his own personal three star hell and has no friends except a deeply disturbed Falklands veteran. Later, Alan moves to a caravan, continues to obsess about James Bond and writes a book, Bouncing Back (not as good as Bravo Two Zero, I'm sure he would freely admit).

This brief biography does no justice to the incredible writing and superb characterisation of all involved. Simply one of the best television characters ever. Alan's love for his fellow man may be in short supply but the laughs are never ending in this classic comedy creation.
2929 Comments| 231 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 February 2014
This was given as a gift to my husband and he being a big fan of the Alan Partridge show on tv really found these dvd,s very funny and enjoyed watching them over and over again.
on 21 February 2014
I remember watching Steve Coogan launch "Knowing Me, Knowing You" on the telly and thinking this was truly inspired comedy. I liked Steve Coogan's choice of actors/actresses. It was a great series and his tongue in cheek "I'm Alan Partridge" is not as good but great amusing relaxation. This is a great value box set. I am proud to add it to my collection.
There are many, many comic moments but the deliberately awkward political debate in "Knowing Me, Knowing You" is probably my favourite.
I rate this as five stars in terms of value for money
on 17 June 2014
Featuring every episode, except Mid Morning Matters, which is available elsewhere on Amazon, but excellent value nonetheless. Please bear in mind that the first series of "I'm Alan Partridge" is in 4:3 aspect ratio, as is all of the episodes of "Knowing Me, Knowing You". The second "I'm Alan Partridge" series is filmed in 16:9 widescreen. Also includes the hilarious "Knowing Me, Knowing Yule" Christmas special. A must for all Steve Coogan/Alan Partridge fans everywhere!
on 23 February 2013
I think the overbearingly embarrassing comedy of KMKY is probably the most brilliant comedy there's been for years. For me, Coogan at his best. My wife hates it. I was looking on the discs for the second series of KMKY only to find to my surprise there had only been the one. How the memory plays tricks! The follow-up "I'm Alan Partridge" series? Hmm, not as good as KMKY, it didn't seem to have the same bite, but still well worth watching. Steve, any chance of resurrecting KMKY?!
on 16 September 2015
classic Partridge, but the DVD is so out of date it's a massive pain to navigate.
Worth it though for Alan playing the bass guitar
on 22 February 2017
I asked for this for Christmas but literally no one bought it for me. It was on my amazon wish list and everything. I took matters into my own hands and have never looked back. I found there to be many naysayers out there; "it's all on Netflix!" and, "it's on GOLD every bloody day" they all cry. I just love being able to watch Alan anytime I like regardless of broadband speed.

In short, yes, you too should purchase this.
on 1 July 2013
After watching the new series on sky Atlantic, I was determined to watch the original series'. When seeing this deal for under £15 I knew this was my chance. It was delivered within 3 days and I set to work on watching them. Every one of the episodes is filled with humorous jokes and awkward situations that make you laugh out loud. In short this is a must have for any Alan partridge fan and with a cheap price tag it is a must have.