on 26 June 2013
I did enjoy the film as I love anything by Mike Leigh. My favourites are Abigail's Party and Secrets and Lies. Shame the latter and Nuts in May is not available for an affordable price on Amazon. Either too expensive or not available in region 2 format. Naked was a tad too long for my liking. But I liked it all the same.
on 10 October 2012
Please note, this review is for the UK release of Naked [DVD] [1993], and NOT the Criterion version as it states in the description.

The film itself is one of my all time favourites, and certainly the best British film of the 90s.

However, as usual, it's been a long, long time since it got a UK release, and came out on Criterion in the US YEARS ago (pretty strange, as it's a British film).

All we get is an audio commentary, trailers, subtitles, and an absolutely awful DVD transfer. I've noticed this with a lot of DVD's I've been purchasing lately (Hair Extensions, Sick Nurses, and a few others).

It looks almost like it's been downloaded.

I guess one of the main reasons DVD's are so cheap these days, is not just because of Blu Ray coming out and trying to take over, but because the companies who release them really don't make the effort anymore regarding the transfers. I popped in an old DVD and it's amazing just how much better the image quality was. This is almost a pound shop job on an all time classic.

Film- 5 *****

Release- 2 **

Guess I'll have to save up more for the Criterion version.
on 5 February 2014
This film was truly a British affair, it was so realistic in its approach to realism, I was looking to purchase this film on DVD for a long while now and came across this by accident.
What a fabulously written gritty film, full of clever one liners, it was most entertaining and shocking!
on 4 September 2009
I like arty films that are non-formulaic and this film fits that bill. So, I can honestly say that I liked lots about this film and I'm glad it was made and I'm also glad I have seen it. Is it a masterpiece? Probably not.

Thewlis is predictably brilliant in his portrayal of the anti-hero who is set as our tour-guide of the darker fringes of society. He is clearly a mouthpiece for Mike Leigh's ideas about the cosmos, a writer's prerogative, but so are all ther other characters. Too many characters had the same cadent method of expression which is Mike Leigh. Much of Coward's work suffered from thge same where his characters talked like he did!

I was also disappointed in the gloomy and unflattering portrayal of women. They're toys for men's delectation: used by men; abused by men; answerable to men - a poor outlooked for 1973 but annacceptably trite for 1993!

Much of the philosophical ramblings are both humorous and thought provoking. Everyone who has enough patience and determination should see this film and will be rewarded. However, NOT everyone should own it as it doesn't quite warrant that accolade.
on 17 May 2014
With persistent put-downs and sarcastic wit, David Thewlis (Jonny) wheedles his way into peoples lives sucking the life-blood out of them.Not literally, as this is not a horror film but it is a monster movie,and Thewlis is the monster,a dark foreboding philosophizer decreeing mans fate.
on 16 August 2012
Every town has a Johhny - an angry, arrogant, street philosopher who questions the validity and meaning of conventions and society. He is an outsider who is also a parasite. Although he questions everything he has no solutions. He is dangerous but interesting and a bit pathetic. Wrap all this bitter, twisted, tortured emotion up inside the excellent David Thewlis and we have a riveting cinematic experience.
Johnny is stripped naked of politeness and convention, money, belongings or even a place to live. He is a hard character to pin down and shouldn't be. He is a bastard and a rogue but I think I like him. He is more than a little bit angry and I wont even go into his attitudes towards women and why women seem to like him or want to save him - you could write a thesis on that.
It's interesting to see Claire Skinner (from Outnumbered) here - she is also in that other Mike Leigh masterpiece Life Is Sweet [DVD]
Like all Mike Leigh films, this is entertaining without you really quite understanding why. At the end, I was left with a million questions. I thought it lost its way a bit in the middle. By far the best bits are at the flat. Definitley worth watching.
on 15 September 2013
An excellent depiction of the many characters that make up our society: most that are featured in this film are from quite dysfunctional backgrounds & highlights how they survive in this often unforgiving world.
on 20 March 2014
Would have to admit. ..this film is much better than 'dead or alive'. Although will have to admit in d.o.a, the acting was by far superior in terms of focusing on the plot and present-tense issues. Great movie
on 12 July 2016
A look at life on the other side, being down and out. A somewhat intelligent Fawlty Towers Basil character takes us through the ups and downs of being homeless and in need of female company.