on 2 July 2013
This is just to inform everyone who purchased KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE on UK Blu-Ray, that the sleeve is incorrectly printed - sort of.

At the moment, it has the number "5" printed at the top of the Blu-Ray spine. This is correct, but so does WHISPER OF THE HEART. WHISPER... sleeves should have the number "11" printed on it instead, NOT "5".

Anyone wanting a free, replacement WHISPER OF THE HEART Blu-Ray Sleeve, with the correct number on it, needs to go to Facebook, and send a message to StudioGhibliUK. Include your name and address, and then when new sleeves for WHISPER OF THE HEART get printed, they will be sent out to you, free of charge!

Message correct as of July 2013.
22 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 January 2015
Wonderful, what is not too like? Bought this for my four year old daughter who absolutely loves it, more so even than Frozen :) A lovely tale of a young witch (Kiki) who embarks in some training away from home and decides to set up a delivery service with a local bakery. Touching on the issues of starting a new life, making new friends and starting out in life, something we have all been through. I especially love her little black cat Jiji who is full of sarcasm and humour. There is no spirit world, dragons or waring armies in this film, but is just a warm story, spot on family entertainment
on 8 May 2017
Love the animated films from this studio and this one has to be one of my favourites. The drawings appeal, the movement is great and the story beautifully told. The subtext is always important for me in films and here it is the thing which makes this a film for all ages. The film makes you think about friendships, interdependence, and about soaring imaginations. We can all fly if we allow ourselves to:)
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 31 December 2007
This isn't the strongest of Ghibli fare, but maybe that's because studio Ghibli have produced some absolutely corking films. The cat Jiji, and Kiki herself are great characters, but I didn't warm as much to the others.

The story tells of how the 13 year old witch Kiki comes of age and leaves her home to spend a year away. I don't think "the city" is ever given a name, but it certainly looks like a European city. Here she finds a place to stay and gets herself an admirer.

The film is as stunning as you'd expect from a Ghibli film, in fact, this is the most impressive Ghibli film I've seen - visually speaking. I felt that the film set up characters but never utilised them as well as it could have done (the spoilt child being the most obvious). But I still very much enjoyed the film. It has an innocent charm which warms the hackles and a pleasant soundtrack.

The film deals with the isolation and the feeling of being an outsider. Kiki is a strong young woman, but essentially still a vulnerable child. The final dramatic scenes in the film test Kiki's self confidence and cement her relationship with a local boy. I think children of around Kiki's age will get a lot from this film as they may be able to identify with her feeling of never quite fitting in, the way she sees herself as ugly compared to how she views others. As an audience we see that wearing fancy frocks does not make the person a good one, it's an old cliché but the "real beauty is on the inside" ethos is presented in this film without being too obvious or preachy about it.

In a nutshell: I'd give this film 3.5 stars if I could, but on balance I'll give it 4 as the aesthetics are far superior to those of many other animated films, and although I didn't enjoy it as much as other Ghibli films I can see that others could get a lot from it. This initially appeared as only `average', but on reflection, maybe it is something that bit special.
review imagereview imagereview image
on 7 December 2012
I bought this (and Spirited Away) a few weeks ago. I've seen the film before and it's a lovely story about a young witch trying to find her place in the world.
However the actual, physical DVD that was sent by the company (as with the Spirited Away one)doesn't play properly. It works for a few minutes, freezes, and then carries on playing, showing the pencil outlines of the animation. You have to stop the film and restart it from the beginning of the scene. It plays fine for a few more minutes and then repeats the same issue.
Beware of this when you buy. Maybe I was just unlucky - but 2 films with the same problem?
I won't give lower stars though because of this as the film is lovely and deserves the 4 I gave it.
33 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 August 2013
I do not believe that 300 million Americans are talentless, but unfortunately, Hollywood makes sure that this is the only message allowed out. A movie like Kiki's Delivery Service is 'illegal' in the studio machine world, and the difference shows gloriously. Every hand drawn character is more real, charming, thoughtful, interesting, and emotionally involving, than most live action characters in modern soul-less movies. And not a gun in sight.
This is a simple tale, about a real girl who just happens to be a witch in a world where this is normal. Her simple coming of age problems and rewards are all mirrored in our own lives.
Miyazaki, always the master of creating 4-dimensional characters, also places them in stunning landscapes and detailed scenes. On the blueray this mesmerising colour and detail are even more memorable. The Japanese movie industry has always been fascinating, and within it, visiually, Miyazaki is the master. Studio Ghibli is now famous for not being allowed to use CGI 3-D computer graphics until the master is gone. Every meticulous frame is a hand drawn painting. As truly involving and sweet as the story is, one could almost watch the movie again with no sound, and just concetrate on the backdrops as the camera gently reveals more detail.
There are still a few more Miyazaki films left to transfer to blue-ray. Cannot wait.
on 19 August 2008
Hayao Miyazaki animated feature of a 13-old year witch leaving his parents and settling in a new town to form a (broom-based) delivery service is irresistible. As in many of his movies, the protagonist here is a plucky heroine defying all odds. What I found most enjoyable about the movie - though - is its background details. Miyazaki loves European culture - and the movie is set in never land Europe - a fantasy Europe that never existed. A lot of the clothes and the technology suggests the 1950s and the 1960s - but filtered through Miyazaki's sensibility (there are a number of anachronistic details that suggest perhaps a mid-20th century Europe if World War II had never happened). Miyazaki uses a lot of different sources in his movies - and they not always coalesce. In Porco Rosso, they didn't (Fascist Italy + Aviation Aces + Flying Pig?). But here they do.
on 27 October 2010
I won't bang on about the story - I'm sure other folks do an excellent job on that. It's a wonderful film, and I loved the music from the forest painting scene that I bought the soundtrack. Anyway the only thing I'd like to warn folks about is that I am on my 2nd copy from amazon. Granted I must have watched the first one at least 10 times, but the box it seems is not DVD friendly - it's a standard box, but it's particularly brutal with its spindal. My original copy has cracks now going through it's innner ring, only so long before it's unusable. I have since bought a second copy, and when I get the chance (having discovered it could likely have the same problem) I will take it out and store it either in another box e.g. a game case, or a CD/DVD carry case. Either will be better than the box it comes in.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 February 2016
My girls are 6 & 4 they watched this all the way through and said its better than totoro which is their favorite ghibli.. I still prefer Ponyo and i am 40. lol. It is very good for kids no chance of nightmares i would not recomend princess mononoke for little ones. The art is very beautiful as always.
on 2 August 2014
A masterpiece of animation and quality storytelling.
Much like '...Totoro' when I watch this I enjoy it so much I don't want it to end.
This is truly one of Studio Ghibli's finest cartoons and one of my three favourites of theirs.
Philip Hartman (Hi, I'm Troy McClure) steals the show for me as JiJi the cat and Kirsten Dunst is great as Kiki.
I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys great storytelling and animation.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse