Customer reviews

Princess Mononoke [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 10 June 2016
Possibly the best Ghibli film, for me. It's a choice between this and the excellent Spirited away although this film is more adult and universal, I feel, in content. One could argue that Spirited away is also similar but I think it's more of a childrens film albeit with semi-buried environmental themes (literally) bubbling to the surface from time to time. Everything about this film is fantastical in the true sense of the word. The art is exquisite and the story is both at times exciting and heart rending. There are dark moments so possibly not suitable for young children but I would say it's no more extreme than something like Watership down which also has its dark points but ultimately has the same value for young minds when it comes to illustrating that nature is red in tooth and claw and not everything is "like pokemon". A beautiful and beguiling film that basically has zero wrong with it. Put aside preconceptions about "Japanese cartoons" as this is an extremely strong piece of cinema with an interesting and unifying environmental angle that should appeal to anyone if they can see it without prejudice clouding their thoughts. I have been trying to get my wife to watch this for a long time and she refuses because "it's a cartoon". She genuinely has no idea what she is missing out on and, sadly, almost certainly never will. See this film, you will not regret it !
on 1 October 2017
Usual Ghibli excellence however one for the slightly older grand-children as younger one (raised on 'My Neighbour Totoro' and 'Spirited Away' found it confusing and over-long). Considering the medium then Blu-ray is perhaps unnecessary as it doesn't add much to the picture quality but doesn't do it any damage either.
on 26 September 2017
Loved this movie since I first bought it on VHS from a little old video store.
So glad it's available on DVD, now I can relive that memory of being amazed by old gods and bloodthirsty demons, curses and human greed.

This movie was a part of my childhood and now I have that memory reignited.
Definitely recommend this film for those interested in Gods, Demons and the unusual.
on 29 January 2017
As a 17 year old i can't say that i am the fountain of all knowledge on film but within the first few minutes of Princess mononoke, i knew i was watching something special by its outstanding score, sublime animation/ design and adult nature.

Arguably one of the best studio ghibli movies releases to date, Mononoke encapsulates everything i've come to adore from the studio. It is a sweeping epic filled with beauty, action, complex characters and enough thought provoking themes to completely justify its long run time.

Without spoiling anything, Princess Mononoke is primarily about Humanity's relationship with nature (and vice versa), and the animosity between them. I had assumed that being a ghibli film, it was going to stand heavily in favour of nature, however Myazaki instead showed the audience the best and worst of both sides and let us decide who to support. Some of my friends including me supported the side of nature but a few other friends firmly believed the humans deserved their chance to progress, such a divide is a testemanf to handling of such prudent issues presented in this film.

All in all, this has become my favourite animated film of all time and i strongly urge you to give it a chance because it may just blow you away.
on 27 December 2012
Considering the others in the stable, a bold statement, and it is only by a trifle over many great Ghiblis. I love good animation, but in the usual fantastic standard of Ghibli drawings, this is magnificent. The story is a wonderful quest. If it could even be called a criticism, the title character has aslightly smaller part than might be expected.

This is however more than made up for by a majestic sweeping story, the woodland spirits, the backdrops. I could go on, but I don't need to.

On the subtitles, I think the one "bastard" and one "p***" were unnecessary and not, according to a Japanese friend of ours, a good translation anyway

However, nothing can take away from the majesty of not only my favourite Ghibli, but one of my all time favourite animations and, the heck with it, one of my all time favourite films. Unless I'm in the mood for Porco Rosso, of course!
on 10 June 2009
The first Ghibli film I saw was 'Laputa'. At first, I much preferred that to this, but now I prefer 'Princess Mononoke'.

My reasons are that I think this film is genuinely deeper than 'Laputa'. Particularly the bits with The Forest Spirit. I don't want to give away the plot but I will say that, with this character, they've tried to depict a god and succeeded. I don't think what they've achieved with this is something to be sniffed at! I think the music plays a big part in this as well as the images. It reminds me of John Tavener's music, which is very spiritual.

There is a great blend of action, reflection, humor, and darkness throughout the film. Overall, I'd say this film comes close to being a genuinely adult film. Much more adult than other Ghibli films. The story is very strong, and the themes of environmentalism are put across to the viewer without being at all patronising or cheesy.

Being a musician, I always listen for the soundtrack and it is wonderful. Joe Hisaishi has really done something great here. And, cleverly, if there is really melodic music to be heard, the director always lets it be heard and doesn't bury it beneath action dialogue and sound effects.

This film is well worth your money. I cried in a couple of places!
on 24 January 2008
A superb example of what animation should be instead of the hackneyed, clichéd, straight-to-video rubbish that one usually gets. The story is stunning, the animation is great and the voices in the English dub are excellent with some big names (Minnie Driver and Clare Danes to name two!) in the mix.

As another reviewer said, this is not a film for young children. I would not show this to a child under 10 or 12, as it has some blood, violence and relatively gruesome scenes. There are also quite a few parts which would scare younger children, including the opening scene with the boar-demon. Don't be fooled by the "PG" rating, I'd give this a 12 or a 12A had it been my decision.

Along with this, also watch "Spirited Away", another classic anime from Studio Ghibli, which is also more child-friendly than Princess Mononoke. Also try "Howl's Moving Castle" and "Nausicaa".

An excellent introduction to anime and a great addition to any DVD collection.
on 18 September 2016
I'm a huge fan of ghibli and this was the third one I ever watched, it was amazing! Loved the mature feel with some gore (if it can be called that as it wasn't that graphic?) and the semi-unpredictable ending. The soundtrack is a joy to listen to especially the Main Theme and the Legend of Ashitaka, so if your interested go and find them on YouTube after you've watched the films!
VINE VOICEon 30 October 2001
When I heard that this film was finally coming out over here I was very excited. I'd never seen it before, but had seen other works of Hayao Miyazaki such as Totoro and Cagliostro. I was worried when I heard it had been bought and dubbed by Disney, fearing another mangled and edited poor translation as happened with Nausicaa /warriors of the wind.
However, the translation is superb - done by no less than Neil Gaimen of Sandman fame - and the voice acting actually very good, with little of the poor acting and odd characterisation we've come to be used to. Perhaps the translation looses us some of the finer points, but none the less, it's superb.
The film - What can I say? This is an epic tale that will draw anyone in who starts watching it, no matter how old they are. I watched this with my father, who's not a fan of animation (especially not Japanese animation), and he was enthralled, loving the beauty and the characters. It's certainly not a children's film, as it becomes quite dark towards the end. Dealing with themes such as mankind's effect on the environment and the destructive power of anger, this film tells the tale of the conflicts between a group of humans and a group of nature gods. Some scenes have echoes of Nausicaa, especially in character designs, and fans of Robert Holdstock's Mythago Wood books will find much they like here. Scenes of the Forest Spirit changing from the Night Walker to a multi horned, human faced deer that can walk on water have a strange magical pagan feel to them, and an eerie beauty.
I'm trying not to say too much about the story as to give things away would be a crime if you've not seen the film before. I will say this : the ending is spectacular and satisfying - in some ways it reminds me of the finale of Akira - yet it still manages to remain open ended. The viewer and the characters are treated with respect and we're not given a cut and dried "punish the bad / reward the good" ending. Indeed, there are few characters in the film who can be viewed as purely bad. This is a good thing.
This package doesn't have too many extras. You can see a nice trailer, a short making of film, and have the option to watch in the original language, which is always nice. You do get Helen McCarthy's excellent book on Hayao Miyazaki, and that is a superb bonus. Let's hope that we start to see more films given this treatment soon!
on 21 January 2017
Ever since its first viewing this movie till manages to wrench an emotional response from me. It's story line follows the story of a young prince as he begins upon an adventure that leads him to make many friends and witness great tragedy. of the DVD itself, it is a HD DVD your going to get the good quality 1080p Res you expect the main benefit I could link to this edition is watching the storyboard alongside the movie which is a really interesting experience and a great insight into the mind of the director.