on 31 December 2017
Second-hand item and arrived in non-original packaging. not enough paddind around fragile areas as it arrived with minor damage (crack) to water reservoir, which fortunately I was able to repair easily with solvent weld.
Produces nice coffee and is quieter than my previous machine.
Have not used the steam wand much, as I just want espresso.
Tip - when you turn the machine on, run the hot water through to speed up warming up (i.e. with no coffee in the portafilter), otherwise first coffee of the day is a bit of a dud in terms of flavour.
on 28 June 2013
I've been after an espresso machine for quite a while, but did not know where to start. However, my daughter recently got the Icona ECO 310 and after having a play with it, I was very impressed. I dids some research on the DeLonghi website and on Amazon before eventually deciding to go with the EC330S, as it was £50 cheaper (a really good price from Amazon). We've had it for nearly a week now and so far, it has been excellent. Making a coffee is a little more faff than our old Senseo machine, but also more fun and a better coffee. It can be a little noisy, but I think that is just the nature of the beast; its an espresso machine.
First off it looks the part; stainless steel, not too big, but neat and clean looking. It is easy to use and I managed to make a decent espresso on my first attempt. I have since successfully made a few cappuccinos. The steam wand is easy to use and also easy to clean (something I was a bit concerned about). The whole process of make a very tasty espresso takes a little over 2 minutes from turning on the machine. As said, it is a bit noisy and the cups tend to vibrate around a bit, but nothing dramatic. The whole machine is easy to keep clean; the drip tray just lifts off the base (it is plastic and again is easily wiped clean with a damp dishcloth). The coffee holders are again easily cleaned and for the more deep cleaning easily taken apart and put together again. The water reservoir is quite simple to remove and re-fit, although we tend to just pour water in from our Brita filter jug as it seems the easier option.

We are now having great fun trying out different coffee types and roasts, (I suspect my caffeine levels have increased a fair bit recently),

For £80 this machine seems a real bargain.

All in all a very successful purchase and hopefully, I will have a long career as our family Barista using this machine.
on 29 June 2012
I have used my machine now for nearly 2 years. Its been 100% reliable. The coffee is simply superb, and I often show off to my friends my home taught Barista skills. Useful things to note the unit is very noisy and vibrates when pumping water through the coffee grounds. This is totally normal. The unit drips into the drip tray during use, especially when switching from producing expresso to using the steam wand, again normal and the reason the drip tray is high capacity. This is my third Expresso maker and by far the best. The steam output is excellent. I purchased from Amazon recently Kitchen Craft Le'Xpress Milk Jug, Stainless Steel, 650ml which has greatly assisted making two drinks from one steam session and is the perfect size for this machine. I can now make a Venti (XL) sized Cappuccino and regular Late from the same jug of milk, which saves time and effort.

When cleaning the steam wand, I was oblivious for some time to a tiny air hole, after checking the instructions recently to do a thorough clean and descale I found that they mention this tiny hole which I had missed . Mine was blocked and clearing it with a pin resulted in much more air in the milk, which is why I thought it needed descaling. If you don't plan to use it often the ESE coffee pods available work out good value as they are individually sealed, and unlike coffee in tins or vac pacs dont go stale after a week or two.
on 28 April 2013
This machine is good. It has a stainless steel boiler, instead of poisonous aluminium. I like it a lot. One criticism - the capacity for ground coffee in the filter is limited - I wish there was more - enough for sugar and coffee.
The drip tray is well designed. I do recommend this product.

To get a good crema, make sure the water in the boiler is fresh, by running some through into a spare cup, then ditch it. Freshly ground coffee gives a better taste and crema.

It is now August 2013 and it still performs well.

I have found a way to stir in sugar without destroying the crema - use the 'Kitchen Craft Le'Xpress Frother'. Here is the review of this stirring device: 'I love espresso coffee, especially with a good crema. But I like one sugar - normal stirring with a spoon ruins a crema, but this electric stirrer can rotate beneath the crema without disturbing it too much. With fresh batteries, it is necessary to hold the spinning shaft to curtail its speed.'
on 30 September 2017
After a few uses the machine no longer heated water. I contacted DeLonghi and received a completely unhelpful reply from their customer services dept. They took no responsibility for a flaw in a virtually new machine, but insisted I should post the machine to Liverpool and pay for it to be repaired. Obviously I will never buy from this company again. The tone of the email was sarcastic and sneering. Avoid at all costs.
on 4 July 2013
I am a serious espresso lover who is taking great care in preparing his drinks. When I was looking for a machine for a second home, I needed something small that still can deliver a decent espresso experience.
I am simply amazed by the outstanding results that this machine can deliver. Actually, I have never seen similar good results with any machine anywhere near the price of this one. Of course, results will depend on your choice of coffee beans, your grinder and its setting, the quantity of coffee used and the water quality. You may want to find information about the right preparation of espresso on the net and you may want to experiment a bit. The potential of this machine is great.
Yes, this machine is noisy. But almost all of household machines use exactly the same 'ULKA' vibration pump with similar noise levels, independent of manufacturer.
on 14 June 2012
At last I've found the machine to replace my failing Gaggia coffee maker. This machine heats up in record time and freely dispenses coffee with a good 'crema' for those who like espressos. My preference is for cappuccino and the milk frother performs equally well giving quite a good dense froth. It looks good on my worktop and yes, it can rattle a bit but then so did my very expensive Gaggia - it's part of the coffee making process! You can easily fit two good sized, bowl shaped cups underneath the dispenser but NOT beakers. The added bonus of this machine is, for me, the ease of cleaning. The water tank detaches for easy filling and emptying and the grounds don't seem to clog up the dispensing holes - yet! The drip tray lifts away for easy mopping up and the outer sheath of the milk frother also detaches for washing. I am quite fastidious about cleaning my machine after each use and always run some remaining hot water through both the frother and dispenser before finally emptying - I think this helps prevent blockages.
This machine has been in daily use since the beginning of May producing lovely cappuccinos for myself and husband. I have only one small criticism and that is with the coffee holder which easily falls out of its handle when emptying - you just need to develop 'the knack'. All in all, I am pleased with this product and compared to my Gaggia machine consider it to be very good value.
on 30 January 2013
I purchased this for my dad for a christmas present - wish I hadn't! Unfortunately we had to return it as the pump stopped working. We hadn't even made a cup of coffee! We were only flushing it through as recommended in the user manual and on the 6th flush, the pump packed up. Luckily Amazon were very good and refunded us the money. The other thing to say is that it is not very user friendly. My Dad cannot use his hands very well and found the coffee holder very fiddly to fill and actually fit onto the machine. He also likes a mug of coffee but we could not fit his favourite mug under the machine, so would have had to buy special cups to use - extra money to fork out when this machine is already over £100. I am now going to get my Dad a Senseo machine (with "duck") which looks alot easier to use (and at under £50, alot cheaper) and which he will be able to use his own coffee AND his own mug!
on 7 May 2014
Lived with this machine for some time now. Makes great coffee either with ground makings or ESE (Easy Serving Espresso) pods. The more cost effective option is probably buying ground coffee or even grinding your own but the ESE pods are not prohibitvely expensive (about £15 - 20 for 100 with different coffee types available) and they are easy to use and produce fine coffee. I like my coffee a lot and the stuff that this machine produces is, in my opinion, on a par with what is available in some high street chains (once you've found out which coffee works for you with this machine). The cappuccino frother thingy also does the job (according to my partner - don't care for milk in coffee myself but each to their own). Only issue I have with it is the noise (which is caused by the vibration). This is not an issue at reasonable hours but when I'm trying to prepare an eye opener at half four in the morning, I have to dampen the vibration by keeping a hand firmly attached to the top until the cup is full. If my machine broke tomorrow and I had to buy a replacement for similar money, I would buy another without having to think very much about it.
on 7 March 2010
This machine makes lovely espresso and cappuccino using ground coffee, we havent tried pods yet as they are very expensive. Lovely crema on the espresso and the milk frother does a good job, both with heating and frothing the milk. We use 10oz cappuccino cups using single attachment for weaker flavour and the double attachment for a stronger cup of coffee. The machine is nice looking with the stainless steel panels and doesnt take up much space. Cleaning is easy although there is some mess with ground coffee. On the downside, the steam wand tends to drip water which seems to just fall outside of the drip tray onto the work surface and runs under the machine so a cloth has to be placed underneath to catch the drips. I would have given 5 stars but for this.De'Longhi EC330S Pump Espresso Maker, 15 Bar