Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 March 2006
This album is great to listen to. It’s so….well, Coldcut! A real mixture of styles. Hard to predict what the singles will be because a) there are several great tracks and b) none of them are particularly radio-friendly.
Several of the tracks make the rear view mirror in my car shake with the bass – which is always a good sign.
‘True Skool’, featuring Roots Manuva is already getting airplay and could be a single, especially because of the name recognition.
‘Just for the Kick’ cleverly uses a camera whirr as percussion and starts with a couple of trademark overdubs, reminiscent of early Coldcut electro.
‘Walk a Mile in my Shoes’ (Robert Owens vocals) is a nice track – a kind of ambient/deep house production.
‘Mr. Nichols’ is an interesting one – a spoken (American male) vocal sounds like a reading from a book, with someone trying to talk Mr. Nichols in from a window ledge, over a William Orbit-type backing track. The words are well written – I’d love to know the story behind them – and the music is great.
‘This Island Earth’ starts off sounding like it’s going to be a post-Yazz, plinky plonky piano house tribute, but then veers off to become a sweet soul vocal over something that could be a Roni Size track if the bpm were higher – very nice.
‘Colours the Soul’ is another one that reminds me of William Orbit’s ‘Water from a Vine Leaf’.
The album closes with ‘Sound Mirrors’ a classic Coldcut instrumental blend that sounds like it could be the closing score to a movie that would be a cross between The Matrix, Shopping and Young Americans – edgy, youthful and dramatic.
All in all, a great collection of musical styles that do all hang together nicely as an album.
on 5 February 2006
This is a quality album - the music and featured vocalists are excellent and well matched. There's an interesting mix of styles, and I find that I do end up skipping certain tracks on subsequent listens. This was not because these tracks are any less listenable, they just require you to be more in that mood or frame of mind to really appreciate them. Then again, some of the tracks are addictive and it's difficult not to just leave them on repeat.
That being said, I think pretty much every track has a moment/moments of pure magic where all the elements come together perfectly and the synchronicity leaves you tingling - on that basis alone, if you find pleasure in moments like those, this album is worth buying.
on 28 April 2006
I was extremely eager to hear this album, but unfortunately it was a huge disappointment for me. In my opinion Coldcut have been responsible for some of the best music of my time - Beats and Pieces, Timber, the marvel that is 70 minutes of madness. Nothing on this album matches, or even comes close to, those stormers. Some excellent music is ruined for me by some terrible, dare I say cheesy, vocals. I am big fan of soul but this just sounds far too smooth and (something I never thought I would say about Coldcut) cliched. Also the lyrical content of the album can be a bit excruciating - I agree wholeheartedly with what they are saying, but I really don't need it spelt out to me in a cumbersome fashion within a pop song. Also, if there is anyone out there that does think that 3rd world debt is a good thing, will they review their politics because of a Coldcut song? Anyway, that's by the by. As it is Coldcut there is obviously the odd moment of brilliance - the tune with Roots Manuva (True Skool) is outstanding, but the rest, for me, was very deflating - but I guess only because of the high standards Coldcut have set themselves. Sorry.
on 11 September 2006
Coldcut is one of those acts which will provide a highlight to any festival and whose influence on British dance music is massive, yet this never quite comes across on their albums.

Sound Mirrors is very easy to listen to, unlike some of their CDs, but it also has plenty of punch and imagination. Just ever-so-slightly bland.
on 23 July 2008
I hadn't heard of Coldcut until I heard Waklk A Mile In My Shoe while at a club on holiday in Paignton and on the strength of that song i brought the album and I would recommend it to anyone new to band.

Its really well crafted and accessible album featuring a broad range of styles and beats with Walk A Mile In My Shoe - emotive lyrics over a great loop contrasting with the sheer power of Everything Is Under Control.

Although it is accessible it still has its darker moments - the song Mr. Nichols being about a suicidal businessman but this just enhances the album and makes it more difficult to categorise the band.

All in all its my top album of 2006 and Walk A Mile In My Shoe is my favourite song of the year and i have since discovered the Coldcut back catalogue and if you want a place to start to get into the band without buying the best of I would definitely recommend Sound Mirrors. Five Stars.
on 16 May 2009
Yes a very disappointing release from late 80s/early 90s Dance pioneers. These guys stormed onto the scene and introduced the likes of Yazz and Lisa Stansfield to the charts; circa 1990 they could do no wrong. Unfortunately time has overtaken them, and there are far better acts doing similar things these days, but better.
A reasonable dance album but nothing to write home about.
on 15 February 2006
This was well woth waiting for. For Coldcut it is a fantastic showcase for their talents. All the tracks have stand alone quality and deserve praise in their own right.
If you are thinking of buying this, stop procrastinating and get it bought!!!!
on 18 February 2016
modern stuff Nice
on 18 December 2014
Very good
on 3 January 2006
...the third track which again is a kind of antithesis to what went before it. It's as if Coldcut are trying to shoot off all arrows in their quiver in very quick succession. The track in question 'Man in a Garage' which is also to be released as a single, is one of the best on the album. It is a bleak lullaby of urban banality and quiet desperation. The music is tinged with the sickly greys of our inner cities, and oozes a kind of melancholy worn by a million faceless office workers every day.