Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 March 2006
Like many others, I only recently discovered Johnny Cash having seen the film "Walk the Line". Better late than never.
I can't remember the last time I listened with such undivided concentration to a CD. There's something about Johnny Cash's song-writing and his delivery that is just hypnotic. You find yourself really listening to the words. The cover versions of U2's One and Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus are among the best covers I've heard for any song in any style (and I'm a huge DM fan).
The last track, "Hurt", is one of the most beautiful songs ever written, recorded in Cash's home studio when he was already terminally ill. The frailty in his voice makes you realise that every word in the song is true.
33 comments| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is a great place to start if you're new to Cash. You have all his early hits, as well as his later output, including some great covers (U2's One and soundgardens rusty cage). If you like this you can then move on to the prison albums and wherever else takes your fancy. You get a short essay in the booklet and you are told where each song came from so you can find specific albums to go deeper into this great music. well worth a try.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
VINE VOICEon 2 December 2006
This album could serve very easily as an introduction to Johnny Cash, far better than the same year's cringe-inducing (and cringe-inducingly titled) The Legend Lives On or the myriad repackaged Sun recordings. Gathering songs from Sun, Columbia, American and Mercury on one compilation, this disc covers all bases.

However, the only real problem - which to be fair is a bit of a big one - with this disc is its length. At just over an hour, this single-disc collection is a woeful under-representation of the fifty-year career of this legendary country star.

Luckily, this serves as an advantage in that there is not a single ounce of fat on this record; every song is utterly brilliant, despite the odd omission of anything from the first American album (1994). You get a sample of all stages of his career; the peerless title track's mariachi horns indicate his relationship with June Carter; 'Folsom Prison Blues,' one of his defining songs, resplendent in its classic Sun-records production, laden with echo; 'Highwayman,' his supergroup with Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson; the curio 'The Wanderer' (amusingly, one of two U2-penned songs on this Cash compilation) from that band's Zooropa album; and, of course, some fantastic songs from the American recordings.

While by no means the definitive Johnny Cash, this is a perfect way in for any budding Johnny Cash fan.
44 comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2006
A friend of mine had a fascination with Johnny cash and was always going on at me to give him a listen. I have always been into punk, indie or rock n roll bands such as the who and the jam.
After reading about Cash I decided it was time to buy a cd of his luckily this cd had just been realeased, so I listened and I am now sold Johnny Cash is an absolute genius, saw the walk the line film and have just purchased autobiography, I a now going to continue to buy his back catalogue. I have to say his cover of one by U2 is probably one of the best covers I have ever heard!
VINE VOICEon 4 February 2007
I watched `Walk the Line' the movie and thought Joaquin Phoenix gave a 5 Start performance in what was a dramatical insight into the troubled life of this legend. Johnny Cash's deep tones and narrative lyrics make this an album that I can't put down; truly brilliant!
on 5 February 2006
As a nineteen year old guitarist I have listened to different types of guitar music, many of them punk, many of them rock n roll but one area I never touched untill recently is country. It's afterall one of those things that your old man listens to more often than your James Blunt records.
I came across Johnny Cash in a reviews section for this cd, and it stated this album is probably the best starting point for anyone new to his material. So basically Johnny Cash is my first country record, and when I bought I was suprisingly anxious to hear it.
The opening title track Ring of Fire I had already heard prior to purchasing this, and even as I play this now, it still remains classic as it is on the first listen. The compilation isn't set in chronological order unfortunately, but why complain when this is one of the greatest songwriters/guitar players I have heard in a long time.
Aside from great studio tunes like I Walk the Line, Cry! Cry! Cry! and the appropriately titled Man in Black, there is also two cuts from his live San Quentin album. A Boy Named Sue is very tongue in cheek whilst San Quentin certainly pushes the jolly notes on the prisoners he played this for.
I would recommend this to anyone that's new to country music, Johnny Cash is a great songwriter, a wonderful guitarist and a legend in his own right. I might consider reading his biography and watching Walk The Line.
Oh, don't forget to check out his cover songs, just proves he was willing to try anything. Just think a man with a guitar dressed in black and he's a legend, doesn't that make you want to pick up a guitar and start your own band. :-)
This is an excellent anthology of the great man's work spanning nearly 50 years, with memories of classics like 'I Walk The Line' and my all time favourite 'Big River' which I enjoyed as a teenager at the same time as I found punk rock. I have continued to love Johnny's music no matter the style in vogue and this collection includes some great late career material, like U2's 'One' or the haunting 'Rusty Cage' or 'Hurt'.Johhny Cash was much more than a 'country' star - he was a great songwriter and allround performer.
on 7 March 2006
I never looked the work of Johnny Cash with much attention.
Than I saw the movie 'Walk the line' and ... I got completely amazed with his attitude and songs.
After I heard this faboulous record and I can tell you, ... what an amazing record.
For me is a discovery. Thank's Mr. Cash. RIP
I had only ever listened to an occasional track by Johnny Cash and I purchased this because a relative told me how good he was. Well, I have listened to this CD three times all the way through and I am totally amazed at the quality and production. No superlatives of mine can do it justice. It is worth far more than the permitted five stars, an outstanding recording by an outstanding artist. Buy it and enjoy a fantastic experience.
on 2 September 2006
I saw his movie and thought it was brilliant, not long after that I heard "Ring of fire" in a pub and I really enjoyed the song. Bought the cd from Amazon and I never stopped listening to it since! other cd's in my collection: korn, seether, rage against the machine, cypress hill! Now where does Mr. Cash fit in? I don't know but I love his music!