Format: DVD|Change

on 17 April 2017
Fun workout, I will have to practice many times to get all the moves. I modified some things due to my arthritic knees- especially one stretch done in the beginning- anything involving a deep knee bend, I avoid. Listen to your body when doing any workout and make adjustments You don't have to do it just like they do it. I found her teaching style to be good and was easy to follow. I like that most of the moves were low impact and I am glad I bought this. After reading some of the lower reviews I was doubting my purchase, but after trying this workout- it gave me a laugh and I worked up a sweat, though I was glad to be alone in my front room trying out these moves. With practice though, I might bust out with some of these at the next wedding I go to, lol.
on 16 May 2010
I'm a dancer and been doing Salsa for over 10 years, so I wanted to add something to my dancing. So I browsed Amazon and found this. It's the best DVD workout I've got, but what I really wanted from it was to learn some great new Soul/RnB/Funk dance moves and that's what I got. So, some people have complained it's a bit hard, and they may be right but what's the point in doing an "easy" workout. Just do a little bit every day and don't worry if you get it wrong and everything will fall into place. When you're dancing, there is no wrong or right especially when it's just you in front of the TV!!
on 7 November 2014
shocking rubbish music and dance move I could teach them a thing or to... would not help as exercise one bit !
on 22 April 2016
Easy to follow giving a good workout using dance moves and good music. Different stages so room to work up to the full level.
on 31 January 2006
I got this DVD for the days when I want a good aerobic workout without toning/conditioning exercises. It's a lot of fun, the moves are challenging at first but the sequences are repeated enough times so that they are not impossible. The music is great too. According to my heart rate monitor, it burnt almost as many calories as some of the tougher workouts I do and was in fat burning zone a lot of the time. All in all, I would say you get a good workout in a very enjoyable way!
on 25 March 2008
The Urban Workout is a little disappointing for me. Although it is a great & enjoyable workout which does get you into a sweat the soundtrack which the dance moves are put to is absolutly terrible!!! The 'slammin tunes' which it says are featured on the DVD are not heard until the cool down section right at the end!
It's such a shame really as the routines are really fun & enjoyable but the music is crap! The music is cheesy instrumental pap that sounds like it's been taken from an old 1990's video game! It couldn't even be classed as hip hop! Not the kind of music I'd ever dance to out of choice! If I was on a night out having a good boogie & those tracks came on I'd be the first one to leave the dancefloor & sit down!
Funnily enough the DVD says "if you love dancing & you love music- then this is the workout for you". Well I love both dancing & music though I certainly aint loving the music in this workout at all!!! Even if you love music it's unlikely you'll like the music that the routines are set to!
The workout is a very good one if you enjoy dancing & some of the moves are very cool indeed. Some are a little complicated & take a few goes to master. Any workout for me is good if it gets me into a sweat & this certainly does that. However I have to say the soundtrack is a total disappointment which no-one else seems to have mentioned in other reviews. The soundtrack is that bad (in my opinion) that it puts me off wanting to do the workout!!! If the soundtrack was different maybe I would have rated Urban Workout with 5 stars - however it is as it is therefore it only gets 3!
on 22 January 2006
I'd always liked the sound of this dvd so I read some reviews and plumped to buy it. I found it a really good workout to good music which made me sweat without feeling like I was going to collapse at the end. I don't have much rhythm, but I found most of the moves fairly easy to follow first time round and I am sure that the ones I struggled with will be achieveable once I've done it a few times. The routines are broken down and are at a good pace which I was able to keep up with the majority of the time. This would suit all abilities as you can make it as easy or as hard as you like and get what you want from it.
on 19 June 2010
I think this DVD is definitely worth getting. The music is hot (actual r&b hits), the dancers are hawt and the moves are pretty cool.

Basically, it's laid out into 4 sections: Warmup, Slo and Low, Mid-Section, and Hard and Heavy. Within each section Shay Shay teaches you move 1, then move 2, then puts 1 +2 together, then teaches move 3, then puts 1+2+3 together, and so on and so forth.

My only problem with the DVD is that this format can be a bit tiring, ESPECIALLY the warmup, slo and low and mid-sections. The moves are kind of basic, especially if you're not that bad at dancing, so it gets old repeating them over and over again. Also, I really don't get my heart rate up much at all in these first three sections.

Hard and heavy is where I think this DVD shines. The music here is seriously pumpin' ("Catchafire" (Whoopsi-Daisy) by tobyMac) and the moves are sufficiently hard to keep me interested and get my heart rate up.

I do this workout maybe once every two weeks. When I do do it, I skip the warm up because basically slo and lo is a warmup for me (n.b. I am kind of in shape so maybe that's why). The rest of the time, I do a few other hip hop inspired workouts, including "Phat Moves" and "Hip Hop Workout" (see my "other reviews" of those). I would get those other two first, but this one is definitely a good part of a hip hop aerobics collection.
on 23 March 2010
This dvd does have some great songs on it, but the moves are hard to master even for someone who goes to actual street dance classe's! They are not well explained and you could end up with some sore muscles the day after and not in a good way! I would not reccomend this DVD to beginners unless you are in for a challenge, all I can say is good luck!
on 7 February 2008
This is a fun workout with a likeable and friendly instructor but the moves are difficult! I have only tried it once so far and in the end I turned it off and did one of my 'easier to follow' DVDs. So it takes a bit of work to learn the moves, but is especially good for people who want to learn how to dance.

I was interested to read another review saying some of the moves are not recommended for aerobics classes because my back is KILLING me the day after doing half of this video! I hope I just pulled a muscle...