on 11 March 2010
As a photography film student I was in the search for a light meter since our film cameras dont have a built in flash meter ( in this case de arri sr3 ) At school we use the sekonic 758 the most advanced sekonic flash meter. I was under a budget so I decided to go with the L-308S and I am so glad I did. It is a breeze to use. You have the option to put the shutter in film mode. It is so light weight. It fits easily in any pocket. The best part is that it uses a AA battery and that is it. Other light meters use special batteries that are harder to find and usually you can only buy them at specific shops.

In conclusion it is a great light meter. I highly recomended. Personally I prefer the L-308S over the other Sekonic light meters.
22 comments| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 December 2012
it's simply great. It does the job- just set your ISO, shutter speed and off you go! ready settings there for you! with two sensor heads good for studio and sensor for outdoors- just change the mode.
I would put 'I love it' if there will be back light for screen in dark studio environment
Before buying a flashmeter, you should probably ask yourself why you want one or need one, for that matter. Most digital cameras will give you a sufficiently accurate reading automatically; I used my camera automatic metering and it was alright, most of the time. However, if you want the best results and start to use manual settings, then a meter is essential. This meter will read ambient light as well as flash. In the use of flash it is accurate up to a 1/3 of a stop and is a positive aid where you need pinpoint accuracy in terms of d.o.f and exposure. I have been using it for the last several months and it has always been spot on. It is easy to set up and use, connects to your key light and triggers the flash with a press of a button; I recommend it.
on 27 September 2014
This is a brilliant piece of kit to have in your camera bag. If you want to take a photo exactly as your eyes see it, simply hold the Flashmate towards the light source. An example might be some books on a table for a still life shot, possibly high contrast and it will give you accurate results.
If you want to make an image as you see it, for example if nothing in your image needs to be darker or lighter, simply point it at your light source: window, flash, sunlight etc. And, if you want to lift shadows or reduce highlights to an average value simply point it towards the camera. It really is that simple. Remember though, snow, sand and pale skin do need to be about +1 to 2 EV (exposure value) depending if sunlit or diffused sunlit conditions to avoid over exposing highlights.
But overall, like I said earlier, if nothing in your image needs to be darker or lighter, simply point it at your light source and set the displayed settings. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AND SET IT UP TO MATCH YOUR CAMERA PREFERENCES SUCH AS 1/3, 1/2, OR FULL STOP VALUES.
You can view the manual here: http://www.sekonic.com/downloads/l-308s_english.pdf
The above refers to incident light falling on your subject with the sliding lumisphere.
The meter also reads reflected light by sliding away the lumisphere.
And can help with contrast ratios using the supplied flat face lumidisc which is also useful for reading light for copying flat documents etc.
VINE VOICEon 29 December 2010
If you're new to the world of Light Meters, Sekonic is a brand that seems to have been around forever in this space and is very well respected; it was an easy choice for me.

I purchased it for the flash meter function - I just got my first studio light set so rather than rely on trial and error for set-up I thought a meter would be a bit easier. The meter itself amply fills the palm of your hand and has all the buttons where you need then for single handed operation. It's very simple to use - you just tell it the camera ISO setting and shutter speed and set it to 'get ready to meter', hit the flash test button on your light's remote trigger and up pops the settings - spot on every time so far! The wireless system that came with my lights made it easy for me but even if your flash uses a cable trigger the Sekonic has a cable connection which means you can trigger stobes directly from the meter.

As well as a flash meter it also provides incident and reflected light readings. While this might seem out-moded I've found myself using it instead of the camera meter a couple of times already for certain subjects; it also makes you look like you know what you're doing...

It comes with a cord, carry case, battery and a different diffuser and as well as normal light metering and flash, it can also be used for cinematography and provide EV readings that can be converted to LUX via a table in the manual.

At 118x64x24mm (140x87x24mm in the case) my only gripe is the large size and light weight - if it was the same weight but smaller it would be great for travel but it is quite big and as such I fell it lends itself better to studio work, for which more weight would have given it a higher quality feel. For this reason I was tempted to give it 4 stars but it's nothing more than a personal preference and you can't really argue with the price/operation/accuracy making it a very good product, so for me it definitely gets a 5* rating.
1414 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 February 2008
This Sekonic is an excellent meter. It is extremely accurate and simple to use. Clear display and well made. Why pay more when this does the job, perfect exposures every time. just go for it
on 10 April 2014
Sekonic pitch this as a budget flash meter. Frankly I really don't know what other bangs and whistles you need. Maybe only a backlight but I only realised that when I read one of the other reviews and cannot see how the hike in price of a meter with a backlight would be justified. Buy a torch!

Having gone through a painful journey in which my reliance upon TTL flash metering has been shattered I now always use my speedlites on manual for total control and consistency. The only way to properly achieve balanced lighting is with a meter, then of course confirming your decisions with a couple of test shots. I also photograph on film (remember film anyone?) and a meter is essential; as it is when using continuous lighting on analogue or digital.

The meter provides a concise reading and I've read some ill informed complaints that its unhelpful. Frankly if you don't understand the principles of reciprocity or are not prepared to learn, then put your camera on auto and forget you ever read this!! This is a great meter at any price.
on 26 September 2011
This unit is not the most fully featured light meter compared to some you can get you can get but for the price it does exactly what you need.

I've used mine a lot whilst working with studio flashes (which it fires once you attach a synch lead) and I've always found it to be very accurate, always giving me a bang on exposure. It's small (pocket sized) and very light yet feels well built and it's easy to work around a scene checking light levels in all the nooks and crannies.

It's also able to take reflected light readings - simply slide open the built in diffuse dome and it will work in much the same way as the built in light meter in you camera.

It's one of those devices that 'just works'.
on 18 December 2009
A very useful Flash Meter, easy to use. For just starting up in Studio Work. Also a great back up if you have a more complicated meter.
on 16 July 2016
I didn't think I needed an external but I was very wrong. I find it really great for when I am using my flash with my SLR Nikon, it makes all the difference and I definitely give this light metre 5 stars. Easy to use, in a handy pocket. Buy it and you won't be sorry.