Format: DVD|Change

on 31 May 2006
I remember watching this film with my little brother, as kids, and loving it. The next time it was on our t.v. dad videoed it for us and we watched it over and over again. How we'd laugh when my brother would put on a creepy voice and say "If it be a natural thing, where do it come from? Where do it go?" And to this day I can't pass an old fashioned tea urn without asking if "they've tea urned the gas on". Our dad told us that, as a kid himself, he went to see the film at the local cinema and that for weeks afterwards all his mates at school were quoting it.

So imagine my delight at finding it on DVD. That old video tape was getting pretty worn out. O.K. Arthur Askey's humour is a little distracting, but the actual story is a belter. When the ghost train makes it's appearance it's pretty scary stuff. This plot has been done numerous times, but this is by far the best version. And what a surprise to find that it was written by Arnold Ridley, none other than Private Godfrey from Dads Army!
11 Comment| 142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 April 2017
This film was ruined for me by Arthur Askey. His irritating character kept popping up until I wanted to punch him. I am giving two stars for Arnold Ridley who wrote the play as I think it was a good idea and could be a great film if they cut out the silly, unfunny character of Tommy Gander played by Askey. To be fair, I can't comment on the last scene of the film because by then I had fallen asleep. So disappointing.
on 24 May 2016
Bought this for a friend who was asking if it was available she enjoyed watching it although shed id say the sound wasn't all that great she understood due the age of the film the sound quality wasn't to be great but as mentioned she did enjoy watching.
on 1 September 2016
Brilliantly funny. Saw a stage version recently, didn't make me giggle the way Arthur Askey's film did. Prompt delivery. 5* Thank you.
on 23 October 2016
Great quality for 1941.
on 7 August 2016
love this ghost story ,train station and humor.
on 22 May 2016
This is one brilliant film - well worth every penny.
on 8 September 2016
great nostalgic film
on 22 May 2017
One of the all time great comedy films
on 26 April 2017