Format: DVD|Change

on 18 November 2006
For better or worse during my teenage years I envisioned the characters of Billy and Icky as heroes! And as the years have passed I have held a place in my heart for this show and these characters. With delight I bought a poor copy of this show a couple of years ago on the Internet. Even the poor quality could not reduce the brilliance of this show.

Two lads living in a desperate Liverpool during the dark days of the early eighties. Together they escape the desolation and depravation of their lives and flee to Wales. Never able to fully adapt, or even fit in, they have numerous adventures. Beautiful scenery and great acting. This show takes you from depression and sadness to exhilaration as our heroes progress. The bonds forged between Billy and icky are both uplifting and saddening. The writing is true and not afraid to spoil the happy ending.

I put this work in the highest category of British Drama along with Cracker, Morse and Holding On. Only for me at least it is better! I would recommend this show to everyone and don't think anyone will be disappointed.
on 26 December 2014
All our yesterday's! It took an eternity for this to be released on DVD - much legal wrangling between Willy Russell/Ch4/ITV. Credit must be given to the kidda from Oz who campaigned for its release for years. I've bought many copies to gift since the DVD release in 2006. My personal thanks go to the fella from Dublin who sent me a copy on VHS (& wouldn't take anything for doing so) many years ago, & as a direct consequence another generation was able to experience a classic work of contemporary 80's Britain.
on 12 January 2006
I agree with previous reviewer. I was mid-teens when I saw this and as far as I know (and I have looked!), it's never been repeated.
It really moves me as a drama and I'm only rating as 4 out of 5 stars in case I'm just being nostalgic. But I've always been a big film buff and although this was a series rather than a film, I'd like to think my memory isn't playing tricks on me and it really was that good.
I still can't really listen to Madness singing 'House of Fun' because of seeing this.
on 11 July 2014
I was 16 when this was first broadcast and it resonated strongly with me then, I never forgot it but somehow did manage to forget the title and the actual actors so it was wonderful that after years of searching using every kind of term I could summon up I suddenly thought, "Willy Russell" Lo and behold here it is! Despite being able to watch it for free now I have the title I just had to have my own copy.
I can't really add much to what others have said so far. I loved it then and I am loving it now.
on 27 December 2006
One minute I was thinking to myself "Whatever happened to Spencer Leigh from One Summer?". The next I was searching for him on the internet and came across the DVD on Amazon. Eight days after ordering it I was sat watching it!!. Just watched the first episode (don't want to rush it you see) and it's amazing how much you remember. What a fantastic series this was, so true to life of how your schooldays were in the 80's. I had an unbelieveable crush on Icky (well I WAS only 13 at the time). The DVD isn't best quality and it looks like someone has taped it off the telly and somehow transferred it on to DVD as it actually comes up with "End Of Part One" and "Part Two" (I was expecting some 80's adverts!) but if you buy this DVD you will not be disappointed, I guarantee!!!.
on 27 May 2007
this is the best series i ever watched, its everything i remember about my teens, i was thirteen when it was first on t.v and i never ever forgot about it. cant wait to see billy and icky get up to all the mischeif again, and wrench our hearts again, one series everyone who remembers should buy. still cant beleive its back out on dvd.so glad that my son who is 13 can also watch this priceless peice of tv gem.
on 14 November 2011
Great quick service. Quality picture.

Fantastic series. Even better than i had remembered when i watched it when it was out. Wife enjoyed it and such a shame that there was no sequal.

Great viewing. Must buy.....
on 15 February 2014
I remember watching this series as a young teenager and ordered the DVD so that I could re-visit my memory of this drama (& also of the actor David Morrissey who I fell in love with and, who has now gone on to become one of Britain's finest actors in my opinion!)

The series still felt as relevant now as it did then with the issues of finding who you are being something people of all ages can relate to. The story is beautifully told and superbly acted and, after nearly 30 years, it still made me laugh & made me cry.

This story has such a wide appeal - those like me wanting a trip down memory lane and also a new audience of teenagers who would still be able to relate to the struggles of the 2 lead characters.

I think it says it all that I have since bought this DVD for a friend who is the same age as me and she was able to watch it and reminisce while being accompanied by her teenage children who were studying the director's other work at school.

Highly recommended.
I had never hard of One Summer before, but decided to take a chance on it as I'm enjoying currently watching some of Network's DVD and have to say I totally fell in-love with One Summer from the 2nd episode. The first episode was not really my cup of tea (don't like gang stuff), but so so glad I stuck with it. Thank you Amazon for recommending me it & thank you Network for releasing it!!!!! I wont spoil it in-case you have not watched it yet. But I was in tears at the end. I really hoped they finished on a happy ending, but nope :(

Disk 1:

New Interview with David Morrissey, Spencer Leigh, Ian Hart & Keith Richardson

Extras Disk 2:
Episode 5 with Alan Parker's Original Music Score
on 25 April 2013
I won't give too much away other than to say this is an excellent series..I loved this when it was 1st aired..follows the story of two teen Liverpool lads...lots of laughter and tears along the way,,you must see this..