• Cats
  • Customer reviews

on 31 December 2017
Loved it when it first came out, loved my vinyl lp til someone stole it.
Just got the cd of the original soundtrack, delighted to have the booklet too with all the lyrics. :)
now all i have to do is shift the jellicle earworm
on 17 March 2003
I love CATS. I love the musical, but like many people, I saw the video before buying the soundtrack, which I knew even at the time would let me down when hearing the original soundtrack. I was expecting the differences. But the difference was too much to be able to forgive to give this 5 stars. There was no 'Battle of the Pekes and the Pollicles', one of my favourite songs, and 'Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer' was very different. The newer version they came up with was much better. The original Munkustrap did not act through his voice like Michael Gruber did. This soundtrack was slightly unsatisfying after watching the video. I only have myself to blame. The booklet was a bit of a disappointment, yes it has the lyrics but the presentation looks cheap and has no design whatsoever, it doesnt even tell you which character is singing which part, you are left to guess that much. 'The Rum Tum Tugger' has no John Partridge in it, but its nice and entertaining all the same (I like the meows at the beginning but they werent in the original). Elaine Paige is there singing the famous Memory with conviction, accompanied by Sarah Brightman who plays Jemima with the most beautiful voice (an up on this version). I had never heard of Growl tiger before and I can't say I really like it. I think that I must of seen it to appreciate it. Despite all its drawbacks, this soundtrack is 'CATS' and there is no denying that, which makes it great. I give it four stars, because although very different to the video version, it still has the beautiful music by Webber and wonderful and humourous lyrics based on T. S. Eliots text. Ive also given it four because I know that I am biased towards the video version. Maybe if I listened to the soundtrack first then watched the video, I would complain about the videos version! The London version in my opinion is better than the Broadway version, so get this one and enjoy!
55 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 May 2012
Fabulous cast and great songs that you will be singing long after it ends. It's funny and moving, comic and clever in equal measure. It took me days to stop singing Magical Mister Mistoffeless.

It's also fun to spot a star- especially the rather incongruous Brian Blessed, booming along in melodious... well..booms.

A brilliant musical that really brings T.S. Eliot's "Old Possum's Practical Cats" to life.
on 1 November 2017
Saw the show years ago and this CD takes us back till then.
on 30 August 2017
Really great CD set and well presented, nice to listen too and would recommend using proper speakers to enjoy this recording.
on 11 August 2017
brought this as a gift and couldnt be happier when i recieved it as arrived when expected and had no defects at all
on 10 January 2016
Excellent recording quality, brought back so many memories from when I saw the show back in the 80's and was able to give my children an insight before we went to see it
on 5 September 2013
We saw this in Toronto many moons ago when our children were young, and I guess, so were we. It was their first big Broadway-type show and they loved it. So did we, I have to add. I still think that Cats and Evita were the two best things that Andrew Lloyd Weber did. At the time we bought the New York Cast recording (vinyl of course) and played it many times. But we wanted to hear the London Cast, which this CD presents. It did not disappoint and it is nice to have both. It even prompted us to buy a copy of T.S Eliot's "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats", on which Cats is based.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 January 2018
Fantastic version ....
on 28 February 2013
I had seen cats years ago & at the time bought the tape- no CDs then! I was taking my 2 daughters & my granddaughter for her 9th birthday to see the production in Edinburgh. I wanted my granddaughter to hear the music beforehand to get a feel for the production. The original CD version has the original singers whom I saw all those years ago & it just took me back about 18 years. It was good to have the words to sing along with some of the songs too. The sound quality was good & it was easy to hear the songs. We were in Edinburgh for the show, on Monday 9th Feb,. which all 4 of us enjoyed & it was good to see my granddaughter smiling & singing along in some of the show.