on 14 August 2009
Okay, mechanical part is okay (as you'd expect from Timex) but the strap it is attached to is dreadful.

The face of the watch is attached to the main strap by elastic inserts. My son has worn his new watch on-and-off for the past 2 weeks. Yes, sometimes he's worn it in the shower and a couple of times he's worn it in our paddling pool. What I did not expect from a Timex watch was for the elasticated part of the watch strap to start perishing and stretching out of shape within 14 days. The face on my son's watch is now dangling from the main strap, attached by two stretched and perished pieces of elastic.

I am NOT impressed. The watch needs a new strap already. Unimpressed and going to return watch to Seller for a refund.
11 Comment| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 February 2010
the watch is called the Ironkids youth watch and features images of action activities and is waterproof and shock proof. However the watch is attached to the strap by a piece of elastic that has no resistance to being worn and is totally unsuitable. The elastic quickly loses all elasticity and becomes baggy, with the watch dangling off the strap.

I have already received one replacement after one month of being worn by my son and now will be requesting my money back as the same has happened again in the same time.

A great shame because everything else about the watch is perfect and we did try to buy a strap but because of the design could not find one that would fit.
on 5 June 2009
This is a very good watch for the price, just right for my 12 year old grandson. I know he loves it,as he is always showing everyone what else it can do, other than just tell you the time.

Very fast delivery as well.
on 15 January 2010
Whether this is a worthwhile purchase or not depends on whether you feel that a strap that lasts is an important part of the watch. It is a good looking watch. It is easy to set and use, and has stop watch, count down and alarm functions, together with a back light. There is a cool flashing image which changes between bike, swimmer and runner. The instructions are easy to follow and clear, although they are in the form of a single piece of flimsy paper. Having said that, you probably won't need to keep referring to them. The strap, however, does not match up to the quality of the watch. At first it looked fine. As you can see from the picture it has the Ironkids logo and is conveniently fastened with velcro.The watch is attached to the strap with elastic. This would be ok if the elastic was of a good quality, but it is not. My son wore the watch for 3 days at home and school, not even for sport, for which it could be assumed it was intended. After these 3 days the elastic had become badly stretched and was beginning to break. If he had continued to wear it I estimate it would have broken completely in a further 2 days. I have contemplated just buying another strap, but the fittings in the watch mean it would have to be a very thin strap, not one which would suit the watch. I do feel that the strap should last more than a few days and have therefore reluctantly resolved to return it. I had expected more from Timex.
on 31 December 2009
My 10 year old was thrilled with this watch. It took him no time at all to work out the instructions and to set up. It seems to do everything he wants it too, timer etc and he is enjoying telling us the time. Good item.
on 5 January 2010
My 9 year old son really liked this watch as a Christmas gift: it has a clear digital display with fun animation and simple stop watch features. However I have had the same problem as someone else: the elastic band which attaches the watch to the rest of the strap has given way after about 2 weeks of ownership. This is a very big disappointment for an otherwise nice childs watch. I have requested a replacement and see if the next one does any better.
on 3 December 2010
My son had this for Christmas last year, it last three weeks before the strap just fell apart and the pin holding the strap onto the watch face bent and fell off. When I looked at it, the face was marked and most of the silver was already worn off revealing grey plastic underneath. I never bothered to send it back because to look at it you would think it has been misused even though it hasn't and I did not fancy having to try and battle with customer services over it. This has been designed for kids but the one my son received really was not good enough to be given to him.

The actual watch itself is very easy to use and the light is very bright, it totally looks the part, if you choose to buy I hope yours is better.
on 6 January 2010
What a good looking watch. I bought it for my 8 year old and he loved it at first sight.

He got it working right away too, which was good as I was having troubles deciphering the instructions manual. I've had my fair share of digital watches in my life, pretty good with electronics of any kind, but man, did I find this watch difficult to operate!

The other problem is the strap: not very adapted to the rugged life of an 8 years old, and will have to be replaced soon

For these 2 reasons, personnally, I would give it no more than 2 stars.

BUT my son absolutely loves it! He keeps timing everything with it, including how long his sister sleeps, doesn't need to ask anymore how much time is left until we arrive, can check the time for his eggs on his own.

The perfect present.

He would no doubt give it 5 stars. So I averaged the rating ...
on 31 August 2013
Appallingly cheap materials. The plastic is painted with a cheap silver paint that started rubbing off almost immediately and left an awful grey plastic base showing. I would have cared that the watch looked so cheap, if it were going to be usable for more than a couple weeks but the elastic in the strap stretched and disintegrated within a month, leaving the watch face literally dangling from the strap.

I thought the velcro strap would be good, since we've not had luck with plastic ones in past, but my son hated it because every time he washed his hands, the strap got wet and took ages to dry out... which meant it was perpetually wet....

Manufacturers seem to think that they can make kids' watches out of cheap materials because kids don't care or will lose them before they break, but neither has been the case in my house. I'm done with kids' watches, so I plan to buy the women's casio G-shock for my son; at least I'll know it will last longer than a kid's watch and will fit better than a man's.
on 26 December 2010
This was a personal gift to my 7yr son this Christmas and he loves it.
Easy for him to use, we set the time and date together and now he's helping Mum time the cooking and setting the alarm for an early wake up.
The velcro strap is great for little wrists, easy to put on and take off.
Next step he's joining me for a run.