on 7 September 2010
If like me you have an older TomTom sat nav that only reads SD cards up too 2gb and not the newer SDHC this is the card for you. Now the new european maps are over 2gb you can only install map zones, if you use this card you can still install the full map without any problems. Note!!! this applies to TomTom Rider 2 although I expect it will work with others that use the old SD Cards
55 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 March 2012
I needed a couple of 4GB SD (NOT SDHC) cards for the Audi RNS-E stereo in my car. It was difficult to find pure SD Cards as nearly all are SDHC, even at 4GB size. These work perfectly in my car as required.
on 21 May 2012
Like many others, I wanted a card big enough to fit a whole Europe map on a TomTom. Except it was TomTom ONE in my case. To cut it short, this card works perfectly. It is *not* SDHC, which is a rare but extremely useful thing.
on 14 February 2011
I could not find a standard 4GB SD anywhere on the web and then finally there it was on Amazon. I was so happy as I needed it for my new maps on one of the older versions of Garmin satnav. Works great, thank you Amazon!
on 25 January 2011
I wanted this for my camera and my GPS, neither can take SDHC cards. It works in the GPS but not in the camera. I've read before about which SD cards will and will not work in cameras, so I can't be bothered to protest over this. It works in the GPS so I'm happy enough.
on 5 November 2014
I bought this first generation "SD" card for my TomTom 710 to update to the new European maps which are larger than the 2 GB first generation SD card in my TomTom device. What TomTom fail to tell you in their emails, encouraging you to update to the latest maps, is that "older devices" like mine do not support Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) which is a shame as SDHC cards are significantly cheaper and widely available. Also it appears that SD cards of 4 GB and above are not widely available. And indeed why should high capacity first generation SD cards be widely available - there is little incentive for SD card manufacturers to manufacture high capacity first generation SD cards as this is precisely why SDHC format was introduced! Anyway the net result is that 4G first generation "SD" cards are not widely available and pushes up the price. I am not sure why TomTom cannot have a firmware update for older devices to support SDHC cards which have identical form factor as first generation SD cards and can easily be confused by those who are non technical.

Anyway I can verify that this SD card is first generation i.e. non SDHC and works with my TomTom device. I give the product 4 stars not because of the performance (as it is as described and works well with my TomTom) but because of the price. Ok I am a bit harsh, and it is not the suppliers fault, but the cold reality is that you can get higher capacity SDHC cards for a significantly cheaper price, however, if you have an older device like mine - then check that your device supports the new SDHC format. If like me you have your hand tied then be prepared to pay the inflated price!
on 16 July 2012
Bought these for the stereo system in my Audi A4 (2008 B8 model) which won't read the SDHC cards and only works with the SD ones. 4G is the largest SD type you can get and these along with Transcend appear to be the only 4G non-HC cards you can get. Transcend are of course playing on that fact and charing close to £50 for theirs, what a rip off.

These cards are great. At a few quid per card I bought 2, both work perfectly. I'm actually considering buying a couple more before the non HC cards vanish off the market altogether!

Not sure what sort of longevity they have as I've only had mine for about a week, though I have no reason to doubt them. Externally if it wasn't for the label you couldn't tell them apart from a SanDisk card.

If you're after a SD card of non HC type, this is the one to go for.
on 13 February 2009
I bought this card purely on the off chance as it seemed very good value for money. I am always a little wary of buying brands that I have not heard off but this card worked perfectly straight out of the packet. I wanted a card to store my music on and found my Dell computer recognised the card stright away and I was able to drag and drop music files without any problem. Would highly recommend this card. Arrived within days of ordering and would certainly use this company again
on 25 December 2011
I have been looking for a 4gb SD card (non-SDNC) that works in the Dell X30 pocket PC (PDA). Previously, it would only accept a 2gb card. Only the Transcend was recommended for this unit, however, these were difficult to come by and very expensive. But, the Platinum 177106 SD 4gb card works so well, I have bought 2 of them, in case they also become unavailable.
Hope this also helps other users of this fine PDA or others like it.
on 21 October 2013
My oldish Tomtom 710 rejected this 4 GB card, despite it being SD, and despite other reviewers saying it would work. There may be a 2 GB limit on some Tomtom models, though their website does not make this clear.