Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Fitbit Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 16 May 2006
A budget priced twenty tracker compiled by Richard Searling as was the first one in the series which had all the classics and was a good place to start for any new northern soul fan.

This time Richard has covered the more soulful modern sounding side of Northern Soul with a mix of old classics and newer tracks up to 1976.

There's lots of quality tracks on show here too many to go through and the sound quality is also good

At the price 5 stars
on 19 April 2015
Great compilation, good to see some lesser know favourites, brought back happy memories of The Torch and Blacpool Mecca. Fantastic to see Cry On My Shoulder, a true classic.
on 30 November 2006
I've wanted this CD just off the strength of The Dells' "It's All Up to You", which is the most gorgeous song I've ever heard. Typically, this compilation is unavailable in the States, and I can't buy it off of UK iTunes (where I got to hear a sample of each song), so I'm just going to have to buy it here. As a Yank who loves her Northern Soul, I gotta say that the British are first class when it comes to championing and cherishing good music.
33 Comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 March 2014
This is one of those compilations which contains a wonderful mix of Northern Soul tracks which do not all correspond to the stereotype fast beat rhythm usually associated with the genre. Sure there are tracks which are upbeat and guaranteed to get the feet tapping (I'm a bit too old to go leaping around as I used to), while at the same time there are slower numbers which I remember distinctly from my trips to the Catacombs. My personal favourite on this disc is the lovely Cry Your Eyes Out by Dotty Cambridge which evokes wonderful memories for me. For someone wishing to experience the true nature and breadth of Northern Soul this CD is an absolute must.
on 6 May 2013
Some slightly rarer tracks on this album, good combination of dancers and more soulful slow groovers including Ruby Andrews I got a bone to pick with you - Love it
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 7 October 2016
With a bewildering number of Northern Soul compilations on the market the unwary buyer can find themselves holding a very average collection or even one bending the limits of what can be classified as Northern Soul beyond breaking point. No such problem here as one of the leading lights in the development of that scene, Richard Searling has personally chosen the twenty tracks featured here - every one is a stormer. All the tracks fit that mid-1960's ersatz Motown sound, nine of them feature in Kev Roberts' definitive Top 500 or his bubbling under 100. With such a pedigree this second volume is easily the equal of Volume 1 of "Northern Soul Connoisseurs" and in my collection at least the majority I've not got duplicated elsewhere. Highlights to these ears: Spyder Turner's I Can't Make It Anymore, The Tymes' What Would I Do, and fabulous instrumental Rat Race by The Righteous Brothers Band - but that seems unfair on the other superb tracks here to single some out. Whilst much sounds as though it's sourced directly from original vinyl those pops and clicks add authenticity. A top drawer selection, buy with confidence.
I loved Volume 1, and bought this one sight unseen, and although it's a different obscurer mix (fewer Motown, more "modern" 1970s material), it's a great buy. My favourite "Foolish Me" - Joanne Garrett.
on 11 November 2013
Well worth the purchase to add to my soul collection.
I would highly recommend anyone to purchase this album as it is both great value and full of great tunes.
on 4 June 2013
Wonderful sister album to Volume 1.
Could not fail to please any real fan of
Northern Soul !! these 2 albums have
not been off my CD player !!
on 2 September 2013
All of the tracks on this CD are excellent, brought back wonderful memories of nighters at the casino. All in all a very good CD