on 5 December 2015
FEEL GOOD HANDBAG HOUSE This is for the chicks in summer to feel sexy and dance around more than anything I think. There are some catchy and well known tracks but this is all about the glitz n glamour. CD1 is a nice mix and good solid tracks as is CD3 but I think CD2 is a little bit lame. There are funky numbers, rock based numbers, disco numbers and poppy numbers on here it's a feel good and happy collection but it's a little predictable and bland at times. There are those classics on here as you would expect but the general feeling is it is not bad. Its certainly not deep n sexy (to me) but it might be to you. It's what I call kind of obvious n slightly trashy house if that makes sense?
on 1 April 2016
A break off from Hed Kandi and what an amazing album. Cd3 is the best. Discopolis and Mr Brightside remix. A genius at work. Can't believe he's a silent prodigy. He started Hed Kandi and no one knows it. Always love and respect for Mark & the team. Bringing you the real house never commercial chicken feed. Start your journey with this cd. You'll enjoy it :) I have and still am. Check Fierce Angel if u dare 😉💕 lol xx
on 25 February 2009
When it comes to funky house I normally stick to Hed Kandi and try to avoid all that nonsense of them going downhill since Doyle left to set up the Tokyo Project (and later Fierce Angel).
I was really surprised by this album and to be honest I only bought it because it was 45 pence but I'm really pleased.
3 cd's of generally very high quality funky house mixed by the creator of HK. What a treat.
In my opinion cd2 is the strongest of the album with massive tracks from the Freemasons, Inaya Day and The Praised Cats. There are very few fillers in this collection, which is always a relief, especially with some of the dross thats released by other labels.
The mixing isn't of stratospheric quality but that would be one of my few bugbears as every track has its place and the fact it flows nicely is just the icing on the cake.
Superb, and highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 14 November 2005
Like some other reviewers I've been very disappointed with the recent Hed Kandi offerings since the departure of the remarkably consistent Mark Doyle - former Hed Honcho. No surprise then to find that his latest venture is a knockout collection of dance grooves, and it's certainly left me looking forward to The Tokyo Project's arrival (in the form of DJ Eric Kupper) to Swansea on December 2nd.
Discs 1 and 2 are very similar in style - both featuring funky jump-around tunes with a smattering of well-worn favourites (I for one never get tired of The Praise Cats' "Shined On Me"). Sometimes the mix doesn't work too well - difficult to put "Drop The Pressure" in the middle of a track listing so I suppose it was asking for trouble. However both CDs are remarkably consistent with hardly a duff track in sight. Great to see Jamiroquai make an appearance with "Seven Days" as well as Basement Jaxx with the brilliant "Do Your Thing". OK, well-known and (gasp!) commercially successful, but great tunes nonetheless - and they work very well in the mix.
CD3 is clearly the TP equivalent of "Twisted Disco" - much more electronic and heavier and suitable for freaking out at 3am! Never my favourite genre and not usually my cup of tea at all but the quality of the music here is very very good. This disc comes worryingly close to trance on the odd track but fortunately it never quite crosses over. I can imagine some of my younger mates rating this the best of the three. Credit where it's due though, the mixing is actually the best on CD3, but this one's strictly for early hours partying (after quite a few beers in my case!). I agree with other reviewers, the Killers track is sublime, as is Royksopp's almost quirky "49 percent". Those who've made a sport out of knocking Mr.Doyle in recent times will hate him for including "I Like The Way" by the Bodyrockers, but you get that feeling that here is a man who has total freedom at long last to do (and pick) what he likes.
A word on the Scissor Sisters' "Filthy/Gorgeous" - my favourite song of last year (partic the US version) has had the guts ripped out of it here - it's certainly interesting but how could anyone remove THAT bass line??
OK, I'm picking. At the end of the day you're getting 3 high quality albums for the cost of one and the new Team Kandi had better turn things around with "The Mix 2006" or fans will be turning Japanese!
on 12 November 2005
Have to agree that this is one of the best compilations I've had the pleasure to listen to in a long time. If you like your sounds funky and bouncy this is it. Does what it says on the package "Stylish Club Anthems" and although most of these tracks have been around a while these 3 Cd's tie them altogether brilliantly. As a big House fan gotta give a mention to Faith Evans "Mesmerized" that track just makes me wanna get up and dance my ass off. Esential preclubbing - Go buy it.
on 2 November 2005
SENSATIONAL!!!!!
This is grown up house dance anthemic music at its best. Hed Kandi (gone to dance heaven) has transformed into Tokyo Project and Mark Doyle has put together a brilliant new triple dance album.Great to see another brill Jason Brooks cover!
Put it at the top of your Christmas tree!! :0)
5 star stuff!!
on 16 May 2006
So, having flown the Hed Kandi nest, can Mr Doyle do it on his own. I would say that 9 out of 10 CD players, that expressed a preference, say that Tokyo Project is noto to be sneezed at! A good thumping number of tracks on this, some to swing your pants to and others to sit out and let others bop to. I would say that 3 discs is too many (I can easily cut it down to 2) but no doubt Mr D wanted the three to mirror recent HK offerings in its format. One star dropped because of the number of fair to middling tracks, in my view. I reserve judgement if Mr D will carry on taking my pennys off me (as Hed Kandi have well and truely blown it now, as far as I'm concerned).
on 19 November 2005
This compilation is great and jam packed full of funky, melodic, and feel good house. Only just listened to the first 2 cd's but already have had a constant grin on my face and can't stop saying 'Wow excellent tune".
Compilations like this are rare. Typically you find that you buy a funky house album and the first few tracks of the CD are great but then they turn into a deep progressive and more trance-like style. Not that there is anything wrong with this, but sometimes you just can't beat some great funky tracks. The best tunes are at the beginning and often those DJ's selecting the tracks seem to give up later in the CD. This is not true of this compilation. Throughout the cd's the tracks keep on building and leave you thinking - surely it can't get any funkier.
Having been put off buying compilations for the last few years as I was finding I only end listening to a few of the first tracks, this CD is a great reassurance that there are DJ's out there who still value good, funky, and feel good house music. Well done guys this is a top compilation and one that will leave me smiling for hours.
If you like cool, funky house, without the hand in the air cheese of some compilations this is for you. Bring it on !
on 1 November 2005
Having been into dance music for the past 10 years, the past few have been spent listening to mainly rock/metal and old dance favourites again ,as i found all the new stuff repetitive and dull and not a patch on older classics.
Recently though i have downloaded a couple of new tunes and my interest has been rekindled in new dance music,there is nothing that new on this collection but the tracks ooze quality and remind me of why i have loved all this stuff in the first place all 3 discs are uplifting house classics with some fantastic vocals.I can only recommend you buy this and enjoy.
on 8 November 2005
If you are aware of Hed Kandi's work over the past 5-6 years and you liked what you heard then ABSOLUTELY BUY THIS ALBUM!!!!
Mark Doyle - the DJ who has compiled and mixed tunes for all HK compilations has now left them and started his own: The Tokyo Project. Incidently the last HK album - "Hed Kandi 50" is the first without Mark Doyle on it, and boy does it show! Lots of snippets of tracks, and poor quality music. This on the other hand is as good as the HK series, if not better. Every tune is a class piece of funky delicious house music!
None of the usual MoS house remixes on here! Some of the tunes are favourites of the last year or so, some with different mixes, but a lot are new tunes.
I am usually very picky with house music, but this doesnt have a single bad apple. If you like quality house music, that makes you wanna jump up with your hands in the air, then this is for you! MUST BUY!!!!!!!
BUT before you play your new purchase, do as the great MD suggests: Play the last tune on CD3 - "The Killers - Mr. Brightside" (its not the usual indie version) very very loud, and watch for the goosebumps and hairs on the back of your neck tingling as you get an uncontrollable urge to put your hands in the air!
ENJOY!!!!!