Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change
Price:£4.24+ Free shipping

on 22 November 2005
I love the Clangers. So does my 15 month old daughter; and I know at least one child who watched Clangers obsessively until the age of five. There is something very appealing about their environmentalist, multicultural message. Clangers live a life of ideal, pastoral simplicity, in a beautifully weird planet inhabited by Froglets and a blue soup dragon. They talk in a musical, mouse-like language -- the clangers themselves seem half way between mice and pigs. I have become entirely sick of Teletubbies after a few viewings, but Clangers retain their appeal time after time. The sound is much less annoying than most children's programs. Highly recommended.
on 12 October 2015
A timeless classic. It will take a couple of goes to get their attention given the way TV is these days, but little ones will soon want to watch the Clangers over and over. A refreshing antidote to the frantic commercialised rubbish being aimed at kids today.
on 9 March 2017
This was a laugh reminded me of my childhood
on 1 December 2008
Single DVD box with no extras, good quality sound and colour reproduction considering the age of the programmes.
Unlike Bagpuss and Ivor The Engine, The Clangers left little impression on me from my childhood and for this reason I was in two minds when ordering this for my daughter, and it was really only on the strength of the fact that it was made by Oliver Postgate that I did. Because it wasn't as familiar to me it took a few viewings to really get into it, but when I was (my much less cynical daughter was entranced almost immediately) this beautifully imaginative and eccentrically bizzare piece of animation will now stay with me forever. It's a great tribute to Postgate's genius that this can captivate an adult viewer more than thirty years after it was made without the benefit of nostalgia.
This DVD is worth the price and much more for the rich imagination and treasured memories it will inspire.
on 17 April 2017
A real blast from the past as regards my childhood.......absolutely loved it....thankyou
on 14 April 2017
grandson loved it
on 28 July 2015
Grandson lovesit
on 16 February 2009
We bought this for a friend who was sadly dying of cancer and didn't get the chance to watch it before he died. So at our next party, we curled up and watched it in his honour! Superb little video, appeals to young and old alike. Brought back loads of memories and features all the characters of the Clangers and of course, not forgetting the Soup Dragon! Absolutely charming and had everyone whistling like the little knitted friends. A must and also a fitting tribute to the late incredibly talented Oliver Postgate.
on 15 December 2013
A really lovely tv series from Oliver Postgate.

If you don't remember it from your childhood, it's a series of simple (but imaginative and quaintly bizarre), gentle tales for young children. Each episode starts with an unusually philosophical voice-over about planet earth and the universe, while taking us out into the stars to the planet of the Clangers.

Really delightful, musical, and gentle - and Oliver Postgate's has to be one of the most soothing, lyrical voices ever. I loved this as a child and was glad that my 4 year old loved it too.

The disc came quickly from Amazon. Obviously, this is series 2, so it might be worth getting series 1 first, although each episode is stand-alone, so it's not necessary.

I doubt that this'll affect anyone else, but my 4 year old got a bit scared by one episode where a visiting astronaut from earth is frightened by the clangers and falls down a crater. It's extremely mild peril - narrated in the gentlest of voices, and they rescue the astronaut, but he keeps his helmet on all the time, which I think added to the anxiety for her. We watched it a few times to the end to see that it ends okay, and now she's fine with it, but I thought I'd mention in case you have a similarly slightly sensitive child.
on 8 January 2010
The Clangers must be over 40 years old now, but it's still utterly fantastic. I'm so happy my 5-year-old loves them too. I wish I still had the Tiny Clanger that Auntie Audrey knitted for me in 1968.

If you've never seen this you're in for a surreal treat. Oliver Postgate was a genius.