on 4 November 2017
I’ve never seen this concert as at the time I was working away. Got this as a present for my boyfriend as he live Pink Floyd and it’s the last concert with all remaining members.
on 14 September 2017
brilliant very very good item i enjoyed it thank you
on 24 May 2017
FABULOUS!!! A MUST HAVE!!!!
on 16 August 2017
Very Good
on 29 October 2017
EXCELLENT PRODUCT..
on 6 August 2017
Tutto OK
on 30 December 2005
I received this for Xmas after attending Hyde Park and being relegated to the very back (literally!). I was really looking forward to this DVD release to re-live the event "close-up" but am gutted it doesn't include the whole Hyde Park concert. For my money, the event was rather sombre and lacking in sparkle until The Stereophonics came on, played four songs, and ramped up the atmosphere (to be followed by REM who did the same). I was really looking forward to seeing their performance again and was therefore incredibly disappointed to find that only one Stereos song is included (The Bartender...). The DVD starts well enough with complete performances by U2, Coldplay and Elton John (including that idiot Doherty) but comes unravelled from Dido onwards - only one Dido track, one Stereos, two REM, one Miss Dynamite, one Keane and then segues into Black Eyed Peas from Philly, Duran Duran in Paris and then back to Hyde Park with Bob Geldof, and from thereon edits in performances from elsewhere. I would much rather have seen a whole Hyde Park concert start to finish with the other discs including highlights from the rest of the concerts. That said, the DVD is beautifully packaged and there aren't many concerts that you can have a DVD of afterwards, so it makes a worthy keepsake. Good, but could have been better.
0Comment| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 November 2005
Some other reviewers regard Live 8 as a just a way for artists to increase their record sales. I attended Live 8 myself, but as I am 17 years old I can't compare it to Live Aid as well as others can.
What I can say is that the concert was one of the best days of my life, and the word unforgettable springs to mind. This was due to the mind blowing performances from artists such as Robbie Williams, Razorlight, Stereophonics, U2 etc. As someone who has never really been a big fan of Madonna, I am now converted ... her performance was amazing. Bob Geldof's 'surprise' performance was also jolly good.
Although the venue (Hyde Park) was probably not as good as Wembley, the atmosphere was electric and was only spoilt slightly by the golden circle.As I was unable to see the Live 8 coverage on TV it is interesting to see how it is shown.Despite its criticisms I can not find any fault in peole trying to make the lives of millions of people better. This DVD is a must have and I advise everyone to buy it.
on 27 December 2005
I got this for Christmas as I wanted to see the show up close-rather than from the middle of the 250,000 people in the crowd at Hyde Park! This DVD is brilliant-features all the best acts from the live 8 concerts-although i'm not sure what kind of order they've put them in- they have concerts from London, US, Canada, France, etc and they are scattered around over four disks-which by the way, adds up to 10 hours of film. There are extras as well, but i'm not sure how good they are.
There are a few acts that I've never heard of, but they feature all of the one's (good and bad) from Hyde Park, London.
I haven't watched it all, but there is no sign of Little Britain's, Lou and Andy, or Peter Kay who came on stage, but they do feature Ricky Gervais, Brad Pitt and Bill Gates -amongst others, who made a speech.
The quality of the picture and sound is brilliant. Good menus to switch to different artists-rather then watching the whole acts. And doesn't include the adverts and appeals that separated each act at the live events.
All in all, this is a good DVD-nice box and presentation-that is brilliant to have to remind yourself of the legendary acts-Pink Floyd, The Who, Sting, REM, U2, Paul McCartney ....
on 18 November 2005
I must confess I wasn't going to apply for tickets for Live 8 until I heard that Pink Floyd were re-forming for it!! For me this fact alone would have been reason enough to attend, though I know that is missing the point of the concert somewhat.
It was a great feeling being part of something so big and indeed there was an element of excitement even in travelling to the venue, however I felt that once there the even lost it's atmosphere somewhat. I attend the V Festival every year and everyone there is an avid music lover, the atmosphere is amazing, I felt that perhaps due to the lottery style ticket system at Live 8 this was missing.
We were quite lucky in that we were fairly well forward, though due to the 'Golden Circle' this was still a fair way from the stage. Despite our relative proximity to the stage the sound was very poor, basslines seeming to overpower the vocals which for some artists must have been a real benefit!
I went with an open mind in terms of all performers, and in the whole was pleased. However some of the choices seemed less than obvious. For me the highlites were, Coldplay featuring Richard Ashcroft, The Killers, Keane, Dido & Youssou N'Dour, Snow Patrol, Travis, Razorlight, REM, Robbie Williams (didn't think I would be saying that!),The Who and Pink Floyd.
The dissapointments were Mariah Carey (was dreading her before I went, predicted she would think that everyone was there to see her! She then makes a fuss about having a bottle of water brought to stage before she could perform, then that one was too warm - bring your own bottle love, everyone else is getting on with it to promote a higher cause!) Madonna (Insisted on playing a extended version of 'Music' which we all know by now, it looped forever at the end while she tried to get everybody to clap, meanwhile artists like the Killers have to cut their sets short. Peter Kay - predictably sang 'Show me the way....' and totally failed to be funny, to be fair I think they put him on to fill a gap for equipment to be moved in a desperate attempt to keep the crowd, which was a shame as I had always been a fan of his. I truly felt that by early evening the event had lost the audience, with Mariah Carey being the final straw (as Snow Patrol would put it). Then something amazing happened - Robbie Williams came on!!! Now I am definitely not his biggest fan, though he doesn't offend me at all, but what a show man. He had the crowd's attention immediately, with everyone singing along to 'Angels' it was brilliant! For me the biggest highlites were still to come (having seen a lot of the newer artists over the past few years) the novelties were The Who and Pink Floyd, both were absolutely brilliant!!
All in all, for it's highs and lows, this is a piece of history. A massive undertaking at very short notice and under those circumstances an amazing achievement. It also shows the power of music to bring so many people together. The line-up was massive, and to be fair probably designed to cater for a wide audience, as an attendee of the concert the DVD is a must, and if you weren't one of the lucky 100,000 to get tickets then get the DVD to see what you missed.