VINE VOICEon 28 August 2008
(this review is for the Lowepro Slingshot 200 shoulder bag/sling bag for digital SLR - a while ago all the different size lowepro reviews were bundled together, very confusing!)

I bought this bag almost a year ago for my canon 350D and was a bit apprehensive spending so much on a bag. A year later and I'm still smiling. A well designed bag with incredible amount of space inside, and in the outside compartments. I can fit my canon with three mid size lenses, and one small lens, large diffuser, collapsible lens hood, full size flash, spare slimline camera, cleaning kit, spare batteries and 2 battery chargers! Took a while arranging them in a certain fashion like reversing the diffuser over the camera lens and rearranging the velcro walls inside the bag.

I currently have my bag packed to the hilt and with only one main strap can get a bit uncomfortable, specially if you are used to using two strap back packs. Swinging the bag from your back to the side is incredibly easy and saves having to take the backpack off to get your camera out. I like the small attention to detail like the lcd screen cover - a small slip of cloth that cover the cameras lcd screen, the hidden water cover, and straps with loops apparently for tripods although I carry my tripods seperately. The inside walls attach via velcro so you can change the compartment size to suit your needs.

Bottom Line: Incredible amount of room in this bag. Well constructed. Not everyone will like the one strap - with the bag fully loaded I found it a bit uncomfortable for long periods - I would try one on at a shop first to see if you like the feel. I use it to store all my camera bits apart from the tripods and a separate smaller bag for taking just the camera on short shoots. Well recommended product.
on 15 December 2015
Perfect for travelling with SLR kit. I can get a 7D with 24-105, Macro lens, wide angle lens and 50mm lens all in at the same time, along with a few accessories in the various pockets. Sadly, it will not take the camera and my 70 - 200 lens though, and the 70 - 200 is also too long to fit in one of the lens pockets. However, it is a good size and usable for those days where you are prepared to carry a fair bit to get the right shot. It's also good for taking on holiday or having in the boot of the car.
on 25 March 2010
I have had this bag for a year now and it has always been a treat to use. I can carry a Nikon D300 with Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G IF-ED VR II DX attached albeit with the lens hood reversed. I have within the padded folders a Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED VR with lens cap reversed, a Nikkor AF-S 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED DX and also a 1.4 TC, a set of extension tubes and a Tamron 90mm macro lens and they all fit snugly inside. In the outer compartments I carry a remote cable and a sizeable set of filters in the top compartment and the side compartment I carry a couple reflectors, memory cards, lens pen, cleaning cloth and there is still room for other small items. Another thing I like about this bag is it has 3 straps fitted so if needed I can carry lens pouches; inside of which I could accommodate a flash or another lens if needed.
If there is one drawback, it is that it can only be worn over one shoulder which begins to ache after a while. Looking at this from another perspective, if you had a bigger bag like the Slingshot 300 or 350 imagine how your shoulder would feel if that was full of gear.
Lowepro bags are so well made, I have four other types of their bags but the Slingshot gets the most use.
on 28 December 2008
PRICE:
OK, I was sceptical about the low price and if it meant the item would be a copy or low quality or a seconds. Well I was wrong. It really is the genuine item at a very low price.
QUALITY:
Excellent quality and meets all my requirements for a solid, well-made camera bag that holds loads.
DOES WHAT IT SAYS:
It does exactly what it says on the tin - and more. I can fit my Nikon D90 with its 18-105 zoom fitted, a 55-200 zoom, a 70-300 zoom, a flash unit, 3 lens hoods, a Gorillapod, spare battery, range of filtes, 6 SD cards, cleaning cloth, a rocket-blower, spare batteries for my flash, remote release, USB stick, card reader, AV cable, the D90 manual - and there is still room for more.
PROBLEMS:
None really - only it took me a little while to work out how to wear it.
SUMMARY:
Brilliant, well worth the money. Best buy this year (apart from my Nikon D90 to go in it!)
on 6 February 2009
I have two Lowepro shoulder bags and, now, a couple of backpacks. The Minitrekker is my favourite bag (and my wife gets on well with the Microtrekker). All the bags are great, designed and made with care. There's no fear of them falling apart or of the plastic parts suddenly failing, or the zips ceasing to run smoothly. As for the Slingshot, it holds plenty of gear and is easy to access once the idea of the bag is thoroughly appreciated. I haven't so far felt completely at ease with its main function of accessibility while mounted on the back. It's certainly comfortable to wear and walk in and the chosen camera can be got at by loosening the steadying strap and pulling it under the arm. It is a bit awkward though when wearing winter clothes and I'm not 100% convinced that I'll be keen to 'in-and-out' my camera all that often while wandering about the landscape. We shall see. I do like the bag though and am glad I purchased it.
on 25 April 2010
Firstly with this type of bag I was always a bit apprehensive as to the comfort of just one sling strap. But I was very pleased as this is extremely comfortable - designers got this bit just right.
Very well padded offering plenty of internal protection for equipment and external to protect the bag itself from knocks etc.
Some nice touches with all the pockets, however I do feel there could have been a suitable pocket internally located on the opening flap which could be used for documents.
Internally the compartments are well spaced and offer good protection, plenty of adjustment options to each section. BUT, the section where the body goes could be better depending on the body, because it was a bit 'loose' - I have a Nikon D300 which moved about a bit, so a smaller body may rattle quite a lot. (So the Slingshot 100 being smaller may overcome this but obviously then you wouldn't fit so much other kit in as well)
Tried this initially over a long weekend trip and although I knew I wouldn't get all my kit in, if you just pack the basics it is sufficient (i.e. body, 2 lenses, flash, charger, filters).
Nice touch in the top compartment for your triangular shaped takeaway sandwich! (No joke, this IS for your packed lunch!)
So, in general a great product but I expect knowing Lowepro later versions may have slight improvements when they come out.
on 2 September 2016
Great camera bag for carrying that bit more - including lunch. Strong, sturdy, protects equipment well. Cumbersome and heavy when full - that's a fact and not a complaint, something to consider if you are going to be out all day.
on 31 December 2014
The bag is of good quality and there's plenty of room in it for the camera, lenses etc. My main issue with it is that it becomes quite uncomfortable to carry after half an hour or so, and because of its design you can't switch it comfortably to the other shoulder. I ended up giving it away less than a year after buying it and replacing it with the Stealth Reporter product by LowePro which is much better
on 11 March 2009
After making what seems to be a very common error, and buying a too small holster bag for my new dSLR (having been a long time digital compact user) I bought this following several good reviews elsewhere. Initially I felt I'd made a mistake (and even kept the tags and wrapping in order to return it) as it felt far too large and unwieldy. But after a week away I realised it was exactly what I'd wanted.

The ease with which the bag, slung over one shoulder and, if necessary, stabilised with a clip-in strap, can be rotated around the body so that the side entry camera pocket (when worn on the back) becomes a top entry camera pocket right in front of you (when worn on the front) is fantastic. The camera is safer, more easily taken out and re-packed, and doesn't get in the way of all the lenses, flash and filters that fit in the inner pockets. You can open that side/top pocket further to gain access to the lenses etc, but as easily can reach in an pull them out. Small straps prevent the side/top pocket opening too far and prevent inadvertent drop-out (!).

The fact that the top triangular zipped and padded pocket looks like it was designed to take a pack of sandwiches does give a clue to how I use it! There's also a zipped pocket on the front which holds cards and a bit of cash for the day out, and a small memory card holder inside. I do get ribbed by folk who talk of me taking the baby for a stroll... but for a safe and fast access means of carrying camera and kit - well I'm happy.
on 8 October 2008
VERY impressed with this.
I brought it as I had mroe lenses than my old bag could carry.
In this bag I have managed to fit:
350D with BG-E3 Battery Grip and a 18-135mm Lens attached
100mm Macro Lens
75-300mm Lens
18-55mm Lens

Leaving a spare pocket, space for lens filters, air blower int he top pouch along with remote switch and other cleaning items.

Very happy with it!