on 1 January 2016
I brought this lens ahead of a wolf photography day I was going on. It does the job! I was worried that I had brought the wrong lens seeing other participants with these huge pieces of kit, but it was just absolutely perfect. I'm a novice photographer, so I am sure that there are many other views that go in to depth with the f stops and overall specifications. But I don't think you would regret making this purchase. It's on my camera all the time and not to heavy, making it perfect for cross country walks - I use it to photograph animals/nature as that's my interest, and it hasn't failed me. The only thing I would say is tricky is wild birds if you are out and about and not in the hide, just because trying to get close enough to them without them flying off...
4 people found this helpful
on 5 July 2013
A real gem. So much more portable than the L-series lenses I used to carry, and gives 95% of the sharpness. For me, the slower aperture was worth the gain in low-weight and small size. Plus I don't look like the paparazzi now, which is very useful when around airports or other 'sensitive' locations.

Loses a little of its magic when wide-open, but close it to f8 or slower and it really shines.

For airshows and suchlike I pair it with a Kenko 1.4 Pro teleconverter which gives the lens reach out to 420 mm on a 5D.

One point off for the absence of manual focus over-ride; it is a nuisance to have to disengage the AF before using manual focus. Sometimes in low-light with a teleconverter it can hunt for AF and I have to fumble for the switch.
6 people found this helpful
on 10 February 2014
I tested this lens photographing birds on a local pond in a range of light from low sun to dusk. Great results. The stabilisation worked well and in general the focussing was fast and accurate. I say in general, because when trying to photograph low flying seagulls at the higher focal length end of the zoom, the results weren't 100%. However, that was most likely down to my inability to follow the birds with the focus point and press the shutter at the right time for the focus to react. It certainly gave a much higher success rate that I would have expected with my old lens. It should have been 5 stars, but inevitably though 1 star must be deducted for Canon's failure to include a lens hood with the lens, instead they sell it as an over-priced accessory.
4 people found this helpful
on 15 May 2017
Bought the lens in 2013 but it hasn't had much use because I only use it for wildlife given the long zoom. Really disappointed to find that the focus wasn't working after about 180mm on a recent trip. Luckily I managed to rent a lens in one of the locations to make up for it. Now I've found out that it needs recalibrating at a cost of £180! I've never dropped it or damaged it so it's shoddy manufacturing for it to break after so little use.
3 people found this helpful
on 22 April 2013
This lens is fantastic value. I bought it hoping it would live up to its reviews. It has BUT... It isnt a fast lens so bear that in mind. Also, it is a bit soft at 300mm so fine but not very sharp. However, dial it in to about 225-250, stop it to f/8 and it is fantastic!
15 people found this helpful
on 31 January 2016
Very good quality images, similar to those from an L series lens covering the same focal range. I bought this because I needed a lightweight lens but did not have the space or weight allowance to take equivalent L Series lenses from Canon on holiday with me. Results are very good. I am very pleased with the lens. It also offers image stabilisation as well. I took a broad range of images in all sorts of different lighting conditions and without using a tripod using a Canon 5D Mk3.
on 20 November 2014
This is very impressive for a consumer grade lens.

Canon's image stabilisation works well and the auto-focus is quick and accurate. Barrel distortion is surprisingly well contained for a lens with such a long zoom range at this point of the market. Obviously the aperture range is rather limited but that's always going to be the case on a lens this long at this price.

The lens feels solid enough to have no initial concerns about build quality but only time will tell that really.
on 9 January 2014
I have had this lens over a year now. I have used it on safari in Africa (with a Canon 550D) and it stood up well to the dust and vibration of many game drives for 1000s of shots. I am really pleased with the quality of the images, and the Image Stabilisation is excellent - allowing you to shoot in much lower light than without - ideal for early morning and late afternoon game drives when light is low.

For me it was an upgrade from the 75-300, and the image quality is far superior. Does it compare to "L" glass - I don't know, I have never used these lenses (or wanted to spend that amount of money!). However, I am really pleased I bought it and think it is good value.
2 people found this helpful
on 22 October 2016
brought for husband to pleace an old lens, he is very pleased with the quality of photos, as takes photoes of wildlife, fungus, birds, flowers etc
One person found this helpful
on 7 June 2014
Fantastic lens, images are sharp and the image stabilizing works a treat.

Now the be aware part, when purchasing, Amazon also offered a lens hood as items purchased by other people as well
don't buy it, it's the wrong hood for this filter.

This lens is well worth the money
2 people found this helpful