Format: DVD|Change

on 16 January 2014
Not what I expected. Fairly graphic in content but a well made film all the same. Fine acting but too serious.
on 22 February 2015
great
on 27 March 2006
This film purports (and desperately wants) to be a left-wing diatribe against all those nasty goverments and chemical companies who are ruining our planet (which is a painfully simplistic view at best), but doesn't even get that far. The relationship between Weisz and Fiennes is totally lacking in credibility and character, and for me Weisz was nowhere near the top of her game, and didn't deserve her awards. Fiennes is better but the whole film feels so unbelievable and "arty" that you'll be crying out for the credits way before the end. Really poor.
on 19 February 2013
I bought this as it is the film on my Leaving Cert course. It's a pretty good movie. Worth the watch.
on 19 December 2012
missed this at the cinema and when it was on tv and the joy is that I can watch it again and again,
on 18 August 2014
GOOD
on 7 August 2014
good
on 25 March 2006
I recommend this film, it kept me enthralled all the way through.
on 27 March 2006
I thought this film was going to be completely different to how it turned out to be. I disagree with a previous viewer about the acting of Rachel and Ralph. I thought they were wonderful in the roles. The makers could have chosen a much more 'hollywood' approach to the casting and the acting would have been too emotive and over the top. I thought the understatedness and almost ad-lib style of acting from the two main characters made the film a lot more believable, hence contributing to it's emotive influence. I loved the camera work in this film, it really contributed to the slightly documentary feel about the film.
My only criticism would be that, at times, the film seems a little rushed, with large chunks of story being glossed over. I can understand though that they didn't want it to become too detailed as it would have ended up going on forever!
I look forward to reading the book.
VINE VOICEon 29 January 2007
Watched this on the back of City of God and for the first 15 minutes or so I was spellbound, the beautiful opening scene leads into a documentary style sequence and its just brilliant. Unfortunately however the story is a little too trad and just doesnt suit Fernando Meirelles low key direction. By the time the plot started jumping from country with Ralph Fiennes transformed into a mild mannered Jason Bourne I'd begun to lose interest. Things got worse too, the Four Weddings type relatives with genius computer hacker son was an embarrassment, as was the feel good hollywood ending...a real pity.