on 20 June 2012
)'The Phantom of the Opera' tells the story of a disfigured musical genius who haunts the catacombs beneath the Paris Opera House, waging a reign of terror over its occupants. When he falls fatally in love with the lovely young soprano Christine, the Phantom devotes himself to creating a new star for the Opera. The stage musical sensation is magically and hauntingly transformed by director Joel Schumacher into a lavish film production, sweeping audiences to new heights of sight and sound grandeur. Gerard Butler (as the Phantom), Emmy Rossum (as Christine) and Patrick Wilson (as Raoul) play out the fateful love triangle that unfurls in splendor, suspense.
WHAT CAN I SAY?
Her voice became his passion. Her love became his obsession. Her refusal became his rage.....
This is a stunning adaptation of the massive musical Phantom Of The Opera. The sets are lavish and so detailed, they really are mesmerizing. The acting is brilliant and Gerard Butler and Emmie Rossum give award winning performances as the two leads. Their vocals are outstanding, especially Rossum's as she was only 16 when she filmed this, she is immensely talented for someone of her age.
also Gerard Butler as the role of the Phantom was also really good. The anger and loneliness surrounding him was heartbreaking as well as his emotions towards Christine. Gerard portrays all of the Phantom's qualities: anger, sadness, loneliness, genius, madness
This film gave so much texture and substance to the opera Director Joel Schumacher has brought this to the big screen magnificently Right from the opening minutes the film became extremely engaging and really never slows down. One thing for sure the set design and visual glamor of the film is astounding.
The supporting actors are also great,,
if you have not yet seen this be prepared ??
to be impressed !!!.
this will send a shiver down your spine,
it's a truly emotional ride,
with great and familiar songs,along
with the most impressive orchestral backing throughout.
The Phantom of the Opera as a whole is ((((just brilliant!.)))
on 30 July 2012
I have seen the stage version and was in awe but I never got the chance to see the film when it was released so I was keen to see the DVD.
I ordered it and was not disappointed, the music is remarkable, it is infectious because it stays with you for some time after watching the film. The reworking of the old story really works and you are carried away by the suspense from the beginning. The atmospheric change from black and white to colour adds to this and is a wonderful addition from the stage version. The final scene in the graveyard touches the heartstrings in just the right way.
A masterpiece of music, words and story, an amazing production. The Phantom of the Opera (2004) [DVD]
on 10 July 2013
I have seen this movie many times, I've always loved it. It has amazing songs, amazing singers and overall the movie is just outstanding!.
This was actually the first "Phantom of the opera" movie I had originally watched and to make a better assessment of the movie I decided to sit down and watch a few of the previous movies.
I watched the 1990's version starring Charles Dance as the phantom as I enjoy many of his movies, his version of the phantom was very well done, he was such a gentlemen that it was very hard to believe he actually murdered anyone. Which for me made it a little unbelievable in my opinion.. The fact it was three hours long didn't help as very little happened between the beginning and the end and overall just wasn't exciting as the 2004 verision.
Emmy Rossum played the part of Christine Daae very well, I preferred the tone of her voice to the previous Christine's. But when paired with Gerard Butler she sounded even better, their voices complimented each other perfectly and it shows well in many of the featured songs but especially "the point of no return".
Gerard butler played a very dark and mysterious phantom, has a very rich deep voice which was my preference to many of the other phantoms. Overall his acting was brilliant, you could really feel the connection between the two main characters which made it more enjoyable to watch.
Overall great movie, one of my all time favourite musicals, very dark but also very entertaining. I would recommend this to anyone especially any musical fans out there, 10/10!
on 15 October 2017
Not as good as the stage version - but then nothing could be! Still well worth buying so that you can watch it as many times as you like.
on 31 May 2017
Wife ordered this just for the fact Gerard butler was in it not a big fan of musicals​but have to say it's well done and Gerard butler does an exceptional job as the phantom one happy wife
on 10 August 2009
I first saw this film at school when we had to do a Music Evaluatiuon on it. Me being stupid, I thought it was going to be extremely boring with a terrible storyline, I also thought that the whole movie would be in Black and White! Boy was I wrong! It was amazing! It had such great music in it and I loved the Overture especially! The lush, thick orchestra is amazing!

I love the acting from Gerard Butler and Emma Rossum, not so much from Patrick Wilson but he was okay! The singing was great especially from Gerry in the 'Music of the Night'. I can tell you now, it didn't take me long to write the evaluation since there's so muh good stuff!

If you're not a Musical fan, you really should give it a chance because it's better than any other musical, in fact it may just be the best musical ever mad! I strongly recommend that you get this because it is just so good!
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on 13 January 2017
Very lovely product, unfortunately Gerald Butler as the Phantom is weak, he is not good vocally at all and is the weakest character in the whole cast. Lovely production, nicely done with flashbacks, and the end scene in the graveyard is particularly poignant. Nice to have as part of a DVD collection
on 16 April 2018
A great quality blu ray that you can watch time and time again.Under rated at time of release.Gerard Butler does a good job as the phantom and supporting cast is brilliant and true to original stage production.
on 8 September 2011
Having recently seen the stage show and totally loving every minute of it I watched this for the first time very soon after. Absolutely brilliant! I was pleasantly surprised how true to the script of the show the film is.

The sets are opulent and really carry you away into another time, the music is fantastic, I can't wait to watch this on my surround sound system at home.

Gerard Butler is totally mesmerising as the Phantom, you really feel his pain for him, and his sensitive portrayal makes you forget his little misdemeanors....okay his murdering tendencies, and fall in love with him. Dark, mysterious but so sensual and gentle when he is with his true love (daydreaming of myself in a white gown in a candlelit underground lair....sigh).

The stage show doesn't make the Phantom seem quite as alluring as the movie does but how could Christine fall for Raoul? How could she leave the Phantom alone in his lair? I certainly know what choice I would've made! One swish of that cape in Point of No Return .....mmm Mr Butler you have gained a new fan!

The singing is great, not quite a patch on the stage production (John Owen Jones as the current Phantom in London is absolutely astounding...for me his voice is Phantom), but then remember these are actors and not professional singers.

The whole film is pure escapism....lose yourself in the magic and the music. Im only sad its taken me 7 years to find this film....best make up for it by watching it often then (any excuse to swoon at Gerry)
on 12 June 2007
I first saw this film at school when we had to do a Music Evaluatiuon on it. Me being stupid, I thought it was going to be extremely boring with a terrible storyline. I also thought that the whole movie would be in Black and White. Boy was I wrong! It was amazing! It had such great music in it and I loved the Overture especially!

If you're not a Musical fan, you really should give it a chance because it's better than anyother musical, in fact it may just be the best musical ever mad! I strongly recommend that you get this because it is just so good!