Format: DVD|Change

on 25 March 2017
Good film
on 21 December 2012
This little film was an unexpected delight. I have read the picture book that inspired it but wasn't sure how this would be stretched into a film of more than an hour.
It has been beautifully done. The story follows Laura, who is very unhappy to have moved to a new home in the city and is quite determined for her family to move back to where they were in the countryside. However, she ends up with a star in her possession and is quite thrilled with how it literally lights up her life. There's a dilemma though, when she realises that staying with her might not be the best thing for the star.

The story is sensitively handled, and I even found myself with a tear in my eye at one point! The animation is simple but rather beautiful. There are no big comedy sequences, no major action scenes. It's all very gentle and rather enchanting. I watched it with a group of 6 and 7 year olds, and even the most rambunctious and rowdy boys sat and really enjoyed watching for the full 77 minutes.

I think this is rather a hidden gem. I would highly recommend it for children aged from about three, up to about 8.
on 9 January 2008
Often when my daughter has a new DVD my heart sinks but this was just delightful. It is the tale of a young girl who moves to the city with her family. Laura is desperately homesick for her old home but is distracted when a star falls to earth and involves her in several adventures. Despite its delightfully old fashioned style it is still witty and funny. Most importantly my daughter just adores it.
on 2 January 2012
I bought this movie as a present for my daughter because it sounded somewhat mellow and relaxing, and it was exactly that. I was a bit concerned at the beginning that it would be hard to understand because the character's voices seem to have a slight accent to them, but after a few minutes I didn't notice it anymore. My 3 year old was entranced with the movie from the start. There were a couple moments she lost a bit of the story line and asked what/why something was happening, but her interest was still held from beginning to end.

The plot is quite subdued compared to most Disney and similar titles on the market. There is no violence or villains to contend with so there's no overly dramatic climax--it's very much a simple children's story brought to life without all the "let's add in adult humor/thrills so the parents can stand to watch it" type of things.

Also, I do have to say that I LOVED the soundtrack on this movie! The music was sweet, uplifting and relaxing. If the soundtrack were available on CD I'd buy it in a heartbeat!
on 27 October 2012
A wonderful children's DVD. Buy it! Simple and stylish with lovely message. Bought the book too to read alongside. Really captured my daughter's imagination. A great DVD you can stick and not worry about any scary bits etc. for the duration of the film
on 19 January 2006
A gentle paced dreamy delight for small children. The animated European city is pretty and the music and voices are lovely. My 5 year old boy, well used to more action packed films, and 3 year old girl were enraptured for the duration. It does begin rather slowly, but if, just for once, you want a sweet movie meant just for kids without the usual double level jokes for adults then this is it.
on 11 April 2012
Purchased for my little neice - but greatly enjoyed by her auntie! Lovely story, music and charming, clever animation. A must for any child - I have since resolved to but it for 2 more little girls of my aquaintance.
Stunning, clever and charming!
on 4 February 2013
My children enjoyed this. It is a simple tale with no really frightening bits, just right for bedtime. Have read the story and this expands on the text.
on 26 September 2010
My daughter absoultely loves this dvd, We got it out on hire from dvd shop all the time before i found it on here.. fab fab fab x
on 5 October 2015
Beautiful film. My 5 year old was so completely immersed in the emotion of the story that she actually got tearful when Laura realised she needed to let the star go back to the sky! She was gripped for the whole 75 ish mins and seems to have remembered every tiny detail. Would highly recommend for 5 and above. Slightly too deep for a child under that age, though would still be a pleasant watch.