Customer reviews

Widows
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 October 2005
This band have been gigging around Norwich and London for quite a while and it's about time they got an album out.
They have that kind of crescendo building feel that you find in Mogwai and Sigur Ros, but sound different enough to bring something new to that genre. The vocals and crashing guitars mix superbly to give a really good sound.
The stand out track on this album for me is clearly Widows. It's a haunting track that comes to a crashing end that will send a shiver up you.
The only problem, and it is common with bands like this, is that sometimes studio recording fails to grasp the energy of the live set. Although this is not particularly noticeable on this record, I urge you to see this band play live if you can.
on 20 December 2005
I recently discovered Sennen as they were opening for the Japanese post-rock band Mono in the Norich Arts Center. It seemed like a great mix to have a band from Norwich opening for one from Tokyo, so I was sure it was going to be interesting. I'd listened to a few tracks before the show and was excited to see them on the strength of those songs, and the live performance confirmed that they are really something special. Their music maintains a power and intensity seen in the best of post-rock bands, plenty enough to rival the incredible Mono appearing later that evening.
But I don't want to give the impression that Sennen are purely a noise rock act. They combine beautiful pop melodies with the atmospheric use of dynamics and careful restraint of the guitar playing to create something that catches the listeners attention instantly as well as dragging their mind off to a place that only the music can take them.
on 19 November 2005
This album brings a flood of emotional turmoil which Sennen seem to capture so well, from the hopeful "opened up my arms" to the nostalgic "It's not like it used to be". The opening track "I couldn't tell you" is a masterpiece in terms of introducing the depth and sincerity of this record. Sennen have created a beautiful debut album worthy of the likes of Sigur Ros and Mogwai giving birth to a fresh sound of sheer brilliance! The haunting track “widows” is chillingly great which stands out on this record putting this band on-par with its contemporaries and breathing new hope into nu-gaze wave.
on 9 November 2005
Whilst The Telescopes drift off into all kinds of dark places and Kevin Shields plays as a session musician for the Primals, a whole new generation of bands are emerging that have managed to recapture one of the greatest musical movements of the last century. Sennen are easily one of the best bands from the new generation of shoegazing bands.
Named after a Ride song, Sennen have definitely filled a big gap in my record collection as many of the shoegazing bands this century only seem to scrape the surface when it comes to writing a tune, they get the right effects pedals and just don't play the right notes.
Standout tracks for me, the dark morose sounds of 'All The Time', the layers of feedback on 'Widows' and the Teenage Fanclub/Byrds style pop of 'Laid Out'.
Don't be put off by the fact it only has 7 tracks aswell, it still comes in at over 45 minutes long.
on 24 October 2005
The stand out track on this album for me is clearly Widows. It's a haunting track that comes to a crashing end that will send a shiver up your back.
The only problem, and it is common with bands like this, is that sometimes studio recording fails to grasp the energy of the live set. Although this is not particularly noticeable, I urge you to see this band play live if you can.
This is a solid and strong debut performance from a band with some real musical appeal. I have rated this album 4/5 for the simple reason that although I think this band is excellent, they have the potential to get even better.
on 29 July 2008
Words cannot describe the amazing beauty of this album. When I first purchased this, I immediately went out and bought three more copies to send to friends as presents. Something I have never done with any other album. Its that good!
Whilst Sennen are very influenced by the early 90's sounds of Ride, MBV and the other Creation stalwarts, to describe them as a Retro-band or Newgaze would be a huge disservice to them. This really is astounding, original and achingly beautiful music.
Its Andy Goldsworthy's seminal 1998 Cumbrian work in aural form.
I first listened to the album on a train journey back from Bath in 2007. Just gazing out of the window and listening to the tracks. Watching the landscape evolve and change, almost in time with the changes within the album. Very soon I felt as if I were floating back to London. The ethereal music, combined with the minimalism of the lyrics, created a hypnotic soundtrack that has remained one of my happiest memories ever since.
This is an emotional and moving album, that takes every overused music cliché you have ever heard, screws them up and throws them away.
It is truly stunning.
Buy it now!
on 7 November 2005
This is a great debut by a band who will (hopefully!) be going places in the future. With chiming guitars and soaring melodies there are comparisons to be drawn with the likes of Mogwai and Spiritualized, but although there are definite influences present Sennen have added their own unique touch. Each song stands out - more please!
on 8 March 2008
It is difficult to rate an album out of 5, but listening to this now for the first time I am loving it, so I will give it 5. The CD arrived this Saturday morning and it is exactly what I was looking for. I discovered this through Amazon and ordered it Thursday night as I was looking to buy CDs for all the Ride albums I had on cassette and some how was pointed in this direction. If you like Ride, My Vitriol, Sigur Ros, Oceansize, Engineers, Chapterhouse, Teenage Fanclub, etc then give this a try. I think I might need to go on a long train journey just to give this a proper listen on my headphones! Now where's that reverb / delay pedal? Ah it's raining outside. Perfect.