on 18 December 2005
I ordered this as a fan of Justin Haywards for many years but I didnt realise the utter quality of every track on this album.
Vincent,The tracks of my tears,Stairway to heaven,to name a few are sang with such heart that it hurts.
Im 50 something,and am critical about music but beleive me
this is a classic, that you will want to play over and over again.
on 24 March 2008
This is a real showcase for Justins superb voice. He sings every track with such sincerity, and orchestral accompanyment compliments this perfectly. Tracks of my tears and stairway to heaven are my favourite tracks. Buy it!
on 5 October 2008
(Sigh) This is the album I always hoped Justin would release. Well, he did, and it made me very happy just for that reason alone. When I heard it and really paid attention to every song, I was beyond euphoric. The carefully picked favourites are delivered with such mastery that even a True Blue Moodies fan would find it hard to grasp.
The 2 songs that are the moments of truth for me, "Vincent" was always a fav by Don McLean, but Justin does it so well he indeed makes it his own.
The same with "Bright Eyes", I found myself wondering which version was the better one and that speaks volume's as to the talents of this man.

There may not ever be another album like this from Mr. Hayward, but do get this while you can, it is truly a masterpiece.
on 11 July 2008
Justin Hayward linking up with Mike Batt didn't make sense to me at first....The Wombles and The Moody Blues. Nah, didn't make sense. But then some of the tracks, McArthur Park, Vincent, God only Knows, Whiter Shade of Pale, Man of the World, are some of the classic Rock tracks of my time. And whilst Justin Hayward is one of the greatest singer / songwriters of his generation he isn't afraid to perform songs written by others. And here we have a full album of just that. And his interpretation of the tracks - true to the originals - is beautiful. And clear. Sung with passion and warmth. As with every song he sings, this album showcases his wonderful voice. You don't have to be a Justin Hayward fan, a Moody Blues fan or, indeed, a fan of the tracks that he has chosen. Just a fan of beautiful music. If you are, give this a try. Trust me, you'll love it.
on 10 January 2008
I ordered this out of curiosity more than anything else and although I am not a great fan of such grand orchestral arrangements of pop/rock songs, in this case I was absolutely taken aback by this CD. The fact that it is just vocals and an orchestra without the distractions of guitars, drums, synths etc. just lets the lyrics shine through. It was almost as if I had never really heard them properly before and Justin Hayward has such a gift for almost 'story telling' lyrics, it is captivating to listen to. There are a few tracks that I would not have included if it were my choice, but it isn't, so you have to respect the reasons for their inclusion as they obviously mean something to the Justin Hayward & Mike Batt. Having said that, the reason I have given 5 stars is that Justin's voice is superb as are the musical arrangements. I never did like 'Vincent' before now, but this version is just awesome,beautiful... I can't stop playing it. As for 'Stairway to Heaven' who'd have thought it could be done, but it is absolutley magical with the lyrics taking us on a journey throughout the song. I have to give it 5 for these two tracks alone for they way they have been presented - superb!
VINE VOICEon 12 April 2005
I havent got the CD yet still have it on plastic I bought it the week it was released fom the fan club...and I wasnt disappointed..Stairway to heaven Justin does this one superbly I dont think there is a cover to match it...he takes this Led Zep Zap to a different level...and well who can match Justin's version of Vincent he breaks away from Don McClean's folky rythymes giving it a more classical appeal..Tracks of my tears was released as a single with some merit of success. I love Railway hotel it hits me somewhere....and Forever Autumn already a big hit with Justin this was not a cover as we know and adds to the classic appeal of the Album...I must get the cd.
on 29 July 2011
One of the most distinctive voices of the last 40 years, and JH does justice to some classic songs, a complete change from the Moodies style. Recommended!
on 23 January 2002
Quite breathtaking that Mr Hayward can continue to produce to the highest standard for so long.
From his days as a schoolboy in Swindon, I have followed his career and each album is delivered with a love and a care that is unique to Justin.
Please listen , love and learn. No need to be Forever Autumn again
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 23 February 2016
The first time I heard Justin Hayward sing was shortly after Jeff Wayne released the vinyl double record set of the musical version of “War of the Worlds”. I heard him song “Forever Autumn” on the radio, not only did I love the song I loved his voice and the emotion he put in the song.

For many years that’s the “Forever Autumn” was the only song I had of his.

So one day I was looking on Amazon and bought a couple of his albums, this was the first I bought, (and I also bought a couple of the Moody Blue albums).

If you’ve never heard of Justin Hayward is then “Classic Blue” is a great album to start with. This album was originally recorded in 1989, (and re-released in 2005). Justin also works with the Mike Batt, (composer and producer) on this album.

The CD booklet has a couple of still photos included and there are two articles in the booklet, the first by Paul Lester and the second by Mike Batt.

If you were to ask me if I’d a favourite, I’d have to say yes. It’s the entire CD. :-)

I find this CD very relaxing and I’m glad it’s in my collection. :-)
on 29 October 2011
This is why I like cover versions.I don't know Justin Haywards music apart from Nights in White Satin but this really works.These are all classic songs apart from Led Zeppelin who I know even less of and don't want to know about anyway but the songs are given imaginative treatments rather than aping the originals.
I know Justin Hayward was once in a duo with Marty Wilde and I think they had a hit with Abergenny then he was in the Moody Blues Mark 2