Customer reviews

Smetana - Má vlast (LSO, Davis)
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 10 January 2016
Because of deafness, Smetana would never hear this, arguably his finest and most iconic work himself. For those of us fortunate to be able to do so, I highly recommend this CD. The much missed Sir Colin Davis is quite at home with this lovely music. Excellent value too.
on 14 November 2013
I selected this version of Ma Vlast simply because of the names involved; Colin Davis and the LSO. I have not been disappointed. This is a very good recording of a brilliant piece of music.
on 4 May 2008
Smetana (and Dvorak) have earned themselves places in history, and to judge by their tombs in Vysehrad the eternal love of their countrymen. Anyone with a love of music must surely recognise the theme from Vltava, but there is much more to enjoy in the cycle Ma Vlast.
Sir Colin Davis and the LSO play this music with deep understanding and affection. The tempi employed are totally to my taste, and I found memories of a trip to Prague returning as the music progressed.
This is my favourite (so far!) of the recordings from the LSO Live series that I own. Its frequency and dynamic ranges are excellent, and it has managed to combine clarity with enough reverberation, and suppressed audience noise too. Not all of the LSO Live series manage to achieve this result, and some do not have as generous a running time either.
As the harp entry in Vysehrad painted an ideal aural picture, I pessimistically thought that the pleasure wouldn't last, but I was wrong. This is a valued disc in my collection. (SACD hybrid auditioned)
on 17 March 2015
Pleased with the recording, however it would not play in my Apple cd player. It was ejected each time. It did play in my Bose cd players without problem. The supplier did check his own stock and had no problem but offered to replace it or refund. I gave it to my sister who uses a Bose player.
on 3 May 2009
By pure coincident I put on a CD called 'James Levine dirigert' from Deutsche Grammophon the night before I received the LSO disc in the mail. On the CD from DG there is a recording of Die Moldau (Vltava) from 1987 which I had forgotten all about. DG is known for good recordings also, but when I heard the new version the next day in SACD multichannel, it was almost as it is not the same music. The recording techniques have improved so much over the last few years to capture much more of the dynamics in the music, and the multichannel surround adds more space and transparency to it. If you still not have a SACD player,you proberbly don't know what you're missing. Don't hesitate to buy one - the prices are for everyone to afford now. Just a hint :-)
on 23 June 2012
I discovered this music when I was reading music related comments in an online newspaper. I was thrilled to find it pretty cheap on Amazon and bought two copies, one for me and one as a present for a friend. What can I say about it other than to say that the music is incredible and the "version" is amazing? I decided on this one as the comments were extremely positive. I absolutely love it!
on 31 May 2016
Performance excellent, sound quality mediocre.
on 1 January 2016