on 1 April 2006
Having had my Sony 2m digital camera for 4 years due to its fool proof operation and pleasing results, the time had come to upgrade. Being unbiased, I researched across the brands before finally choosing the Ixus 55 based on consistently positive reviews (and the fact I tested it in the shops)!
Great overall size, screen is big and crystal clear and best of all is the fact it is so simple to use and produces great shots! There are many options available if required to take every type of shot and the movie mode is very, very good.
The price is fantastic (especially compared to the high street) and combined with free postage + unbelievably quick delivery you will struggle to beat Amazon!
Genuinely no negatives for this camera - except you will need to buy a bigger memory card (only 16mb provided) and a case!
on 23 January 2006
This is a great camera for the price. I have had it for less than a week now and am enjoying using the very logical Ixus format with a few added extras.

The one thing I am left thinking however is that I should have spend a bit extra and gone for a camera with a better lens that this one has. I know it is winter and I am in England and days are dark - but this camera keeps using the flash even on relatively bright (if overcast) days. This has started to annoy me quite a lot. My previous Ixus 4 didn't have optical zoom (which I never thought was great) but it had one advantage - a much faster lens. Most of the time I could take photos indoors without the flash going off and the photo quality in low light levels was excellent.
I bought this as an upgrade/replacement for my Ixus 4 (which broke) and because of the high quality video (640 x 480 @ 30 fps). Now I wish that I researched a compact that gave more control over the lens speed settings, manual override for shutter speed or aperture settings etc.
Still great for a compact. Now all I need is a 1GB memory card and a camera case that fits!!
on 14 January 2006
This was ordered to replace what I previously thought was a great camera, (a fuji finepix) until I got my hands on this. Canon have produced a winner. I am sorry I didn`t buy this ages ago. It is easy to use while still allowing a lot of options to be altered in manual mode and produces excellent photos.
The supplied memory card (as with most cameras) is too small, if you want to take and hold 100`s of images and excellent quality video, I`d recommend a 1gb SD card. The Sandisk UltraII (also purchased from Amazon) is what I use and I have had no problems with it.
As a 5MP camera, the pictures are stunning. I have blown several up to A4 size without any loss of clarity.
If you want a compact camera that can be used as a simple point and shoot or configured to your own setup via heaps of options then look no further.
on 5 January 2006
An excellent camera. I bought this in December '05 & am very impressed with the results so far. The picture quality is excellent - better even than some 7-megapixel cameras that I'd seen, because the quality of the lens on this camera is so good compared to many (no point capturing 7MP worth of information if the image being captured is still fuzzy!). The large screen is very good too (even if it does sap the power), especially when showing elderly relatives videos or photos from travels as they can see the detail easily.
Only two minor drawbacks / issues to be aware of: (1) selecting the mode (automatic, sports, portrait etc) would be easier if Canon had used their more standard dial - that would save you having to go through menus to change them; & (2) as with any telephoto / high zoom camera - it's very difficult to get sharp images at full zoom without the use of a tripod, particularly when not using the flash, so I'd suggest investing in a mini tripod if you're likely to use this feature a lot.
on 10 January 2006
i used to own a fuji digital camera but decided it was time to upgrade. why? well it was too big to carry around comfortably, the battery life wasnt good and the quality was a little low. so, with this spec in mind, i headed out to find a new cam. after reading around, it soon became clear canon's were a great range. i finally got it down to the ixus 50, 55 and the nikon s3. in the end i chose the 55, as it had a larger screen and nice aesthetics compared to the 50. compared to the s3, it had some nice features like the my colour mode, and the pictures seemed of a higher quality.
so after having it for a few weeks now, including taking it on holiday, what do i think? well, its very small and good looking, probably one of the best looking in the compact arena. i had it in my pocket all the time, snapping away with ease. The battery seems to last a long time, i only had to re-charge it once during the week i was away, and i took a lot of pics and vids. so what about the quality? well, having looked at them, i think they are better than my old 2mp, but not by lots. the details seem sharp, and the pictures are big. there does seem to be some noise on pics, but that may be because i tend to point and click, which is a bit rushed. overall though, very nice. i must say, the videos are excellent. the quality is really good, 640x480 @ 30fps really is impressive, you can still zoom and its constantly auto focusing and calibrating.
so final thoughts. i love this camera. it has lots of cool extras like stitch mode, allowing seemless panoramic views and a wealth of preset options like indoor etc... i would recommend this to any amateur wanting a fun little camera, and possibly to semi-professionals although it does lack some options like shutter speeds.
on 4 November 2005
I've lusted after an Ixus for a couple of years, and negotiated with my wife to get an Ixus 50 for my birthday only to find the Ixus 55 is the new kid on the block, so got this instead. Usual excellent service & delivery from Amazon. Only had it 3 days, so limited use but first impressions are:
The camera itself is absolutely stunning in terms of quality and engineering - Canon really know how to make cameras. It's tiny but perfectly formed. The LCD is HUGE taking up 80% of the rear of the unit. All controls are intuitive as on all Canon's. In fact the manual only runs to about a couple of pages of a very small notepad. Start up time is very quick. Movie mode is magic, exceptional quality though obviously only useful for short clips. No comments on battery life yet. I'm not overly impressed by the ability to download "themes" and "sounds" for it - it's a camera after all not a phone, but maybe that's because I'm a cynical 46 year old!
My only slight reservations which stop an immediate 5 stars are:
The switch for mode (still/movie/review) looks a little less robust than the rest of the camera and the battery/mem card compartment cover looks a little delicate, but hey, these are minor niggles from first impressions. I LOVE this camera, and so would you. Goodbye Coolpix, hello Ixus.....
0Comment| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 October 2005
Stunning looks and performance.beautiful build,fab 2.5" LCD great video.shame on Canon for still not suppling a case considering camera cost! buy one today,you wont regret it! Use with a 512mb Viking SD card,mine works a treat for £19.19 from amazon.
VINE VOICEon 29 August 2007
I have had the camera for more than one year now and I am very happy with the pictures that I have shot. I am not a wizard with technology so I just tend to point and shoot. Most of the time the shots will be of a really high quality.

The zoom function is really user friendly, as is the switching between picture shots and video recording.

The battery life is good. Recharging the small canon battery is easy, and makes the camera lighter and less bulky than otherwise. A 1GB memory card will store hundreds of pictures, and a good few minutes of video.

A great camera that fits in my pocket and is quite light. I would buy it again but this one continues to work great. (I would advise buying a 2GB memory card, with a 1GB as aback up. Plus buy another battery to avoid disappointment when the other one runs out just when you need it most because you forgot to recharge it.)
on 9 March 2017
Loved this so much I upgraded after a few years to the new Cannon.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 August 2016
A nice camera. Probably outdated now but when we purchased it we were very happy with it.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse